What do you take with you into the field?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always carry a roll of toilet paper in my ruck for hunting and back packing, I never thought of bringing it along to cut wood as well. Added to the list!

To the list, add Lockhart log hooks for carrying logs cut to length and ready to split, assuming you might be collecting firewood. These make loading them onto the truck a dream. Bailey's has them or order from Lockhart direct at their site. I use the ones for 18" to 21" logs.
upload_2018-2-28_11-2-25.jpeg
The other day, I received an order for a full truckload of log rounds for splitting. It took me only 20 minutes to load the entire truck using these Lockhart's.

View attachment 638372 I always take my dog possibly the first thing to get packed. I like to know when the bears are scratching my tailgate. The Mule Deer just hang out, but they can attract predators. The last one that I had had a coyote for a mother. I do turn up the radio loud during the day, but it would not work with out my cutting buddy to watch me all day. One week with out any body to talk to let alone three weeks would just not work. My check list to get ready to cut is about 200 items including about 40 food items. It takes about four hours to pack to be on my way. ThanksView attachment 638372

Attachments

• Cha.jpg
    Cha.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 24
  • DCP03795.JPG
    DCP03795.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 21
I used to always take my dog to the drop site where logs are piled up. One day a big log rolled off the pile while I was cutting another. That roller just missed my my dog who was young and fast enough to get out of the way just in time. It could have been either death or a huge vet bill, so the dog stayed home after that. Maybe I could have tied her to tree, but she never seemed to like that.

I dont take my dog. Too many coyotes around where i cut.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk
I used to always take my dog to the drop site where logs are piled up. One day a big log rolled off the pile while I was cutting another. That roller just missed my my dog who was young and fast enough to get out of the way just in time. It could have been either death or a huge vet bill, so the dog stayed home after that. Maybe I could have tied her to tree, but she never seemed to like that.

I take that little guy (Ammo is his name) everywhere. He insists. But, because we usually work in areas that could be hazardous to a small dog, we usually tie him to the trailer which is parked safely away from all cutting activities. That, and my wife is always there to keep an eye on him, and me. :D

Where I live it would not be possible to tie up a dog. I do not think a dog could survive more than one day tied up. They do not want to be tied anyway. We do not live where there is any traffic so was always worried that when we go to my commercial property he would be squashed by a motorist. He died of internal issues so after that never worried what if just let them go and enjoy because I might be the one rolled over by a log. Never heard of any guaranties. My current cutting buddy is too playful. She runs up to a coyote tail wagging like crazy jumping all around until they bare their teeth then she runs away and hides behind me. Thanks

Where I live it would not be possible to tie up a dog. I do not think a dog could survive more than one day tied up. They do not want to be tied anyway. We do not live where there is any traffic so was always worried that when we go to my commercial property he would be squashed by a motorist. He died of internal issues so after that never worried what if just let them go and enjoy because I might be the one rolled over by a log. Never heard of any guaranties. My current cutting buddy is too playful. She runs up to a coyote tail wagging like crazy jumping all around until they bare their teeth then she runs away and hides behind me. Thanks
My Lady, a flat-coated retriever, would probably have done the same thing with a coyote. She never feared another dog or wild animal because she avoided fighting them. She was faster and smarter and new that her job was to clean out the rodents and snakes in the yard. But, I saw the big log rolling toward her. I lost my rabbit destroyer last Halloween to old age -- 15.5 years. The big rolling log could have easily taken her away 12 years ago.

I need another cutting buddy. It's taking me some time to forget Lady. That's the way it is.

You gave lady the best life ever. She does not regret one moment except that time when you would not let her have the rest of your hot dog. Any one you pick will be eternally grateful and will remind you every day. I got a golden retriever when I had 450 acre timber sale and he got pretty used to doing any thing he wanted. Once a week we went to Newport Beach with my dump truck some how he never wanted to stay home sense we always went to the beach for a swim. Thirteen years latter when he got too old I missed him so much until my son rescued some mut that I was sure he would not last a week. Guess what he was more than thankful and now cutting wood with out my buddy makes all my cuts crooked. So every trip for more than ten years my buddy goes cutting with me that is why my cuts are straight. Thanks

There is a problem. If I brought one of everything listed in this thread, I imagine I would have very little room left in the truck to carry back any firewood.

(Just joking, I think...?)

Oh, there is one thing that I'm carrying around in the truck these days and taking to the field that I have to get rid of -- twelve pounds of blubber.

Back