What do you think Stihls best saw is?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know which one is, but I know which one is not. I've had an 039 with a 20" bar for about 10 years now and it just always seemed like it wore me out to use it. I got a MS 460 with a 28" bar last fall, and I know full of fluids and with the longer bar and chain, it's somewhat heavier than the 039, but it sure as hell is a lot less tiring to use. If I'd have known then what I know now, I'd have bought a pro saw instead of the 039.

I seem to pick mine up much more often than the MS460. It doesnt have the power that the 460 has, but is over 2 pounds lighter by my scales.

but, only the magnum.

the av and super are for sissies.

:)

ROFL. Then again, my 038 Mag gets a good working out too. It recently got upgraded to a full wrap/big dawg/PNW clutch cover too. And with all that torque it really puts a smile on your face when you drop it in the wood. :)

For me it's a toss up between them two. The 038 Mag and the 044. :clap:

MS200T, it's the one Stihl that no other manufacturer has an answer for. You say MS260 somebody will say (rightly, IMO) that the 346xp is more powerful. You say MS660 Magnum, somebody will say the 390xp is smoother, or the 7900 is lighter and nearly as powerful. Dunno, I've never owned a big saw other than the 660. MS361? Other 60cc saws have their fans, and some would say that the 372xp makes the whole 60cc class irrelevant. But if you say MS200T, about all anybody can say is that it's expensive. The other climbing saws may be cheaper, but they're all either heavier or less powerful, or both. I'm not saying that the other Stihls aren't good saws, or aren't THE best Stihl for a given person, but the MS200T is the only one literally in a class by itself.

Jack

That's a pretty flawless argument right there. And I hope they build that thing forever because I hate working on top handle saws. All of them, from every company. For some of my customers, the ms200 is their only non Husky, and I love it. Take your toppers to the Stihl guy!

If you Stihl guys don't mind a Husky man pulling up a barstool here, I've always had a ton of respect for the 066. The 460 might be a little more versatile in that not everyone has a need for something as big as a 66. It's the perfect "tweener" between the 066 and the 044, and would be the one I'd grab today.

But for whatever reason, my favorite Stihl is the 041. Kind of funky, sounds great both at idle and when it's hogged in a big piece of oak. When my Jonsered/Husky collection started getting out of control, I got rid of most everything else. Heck if I got into Stihls also, I'd need to put an addition on the house. But I hung on to my 041's, (3 of them). They're just too cool to let them go. :givebeer:

ROFL. Then again, my 038 Mag gets a good working out too. It recently got upgraded to a full wrap/big dawg/PNW clutch cover too. And with all that torque it really puts a smile on your face when you drop it in the wood. :)

PICS PICS PICS :clap:

Im not asking about the biggest baddest saw, just an all around well built saw either new or older models. I have read where a few mentioned the 034 as a great saw.

020T/200T, 026/260, 034, 038, 044/440, 066/660

Take your pick :)

Sorry to slight the other members of the family, but the trophies for best all-around and always there for you, 044 and 066 magnum!

my 044 and 660
attachment.php
attachment.php

I am with Brnkeeper, I love my 084. I have had lots of others which are fine, reliable saws and I still have memories the way my ol' Lightning would bite into dry box wood and lug away, bellowing its throaty roar and never for a moment giving in.
But my 084 will do that and not leave my fingers tingling, and it gives me anyway, that feeling of great confidence. You know, when the saw says, I'm cutting this and I am not giving in.
But you know, if one of my boys ever work up the courage to take the 084 I think I will go and buy an 066. :)

Nardoo

Wish a had a large stable to give a good answer... only have 3... 015, 028 AV Super, MS361.

it aint big and it aint a pro saw but when the chance comes around i will buy me another ms270. i loved that saw, should never have traded in....:cry:

Tough question - "What do you think Stihls best saw is?"..

One could saw for what, felling, limbing, bucking, firewood.. overall use... Used by loggers, arborists, landscapers, farmers.. etc??

One could say that the measure would be the oldest/longest selling model, or the one which has sold the highest number of saws overall, or the one which has the most running hours in a year.. how do you measure that?

Most of us have a personal preference.

Mine is the 361.

If you were to look at the questions above, not sure.. maybe the 026/260.

Back