What do you think Stihls best saw is?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the only model that I own.

Just razzin ya. For what they are, they are very underrated. I had a ported one, and sold it to my construction worker buddy. I reckon he is still cuttin treated lumber with it daily. I could probably get it back, and swap ya for that SP125 your sportin there. :)

I really liked my dad's old 024 Woodboss. I wish he had kept it, made a hell of a limbing saw. He traded up to a 260, though.

has the 361 even gotten a single nod??? as much as it is recommened here you would think it would be on the list.

That's a good point. It may be the most useful pro Stihl for the average non-professional user -- big enough to take on all but truly enormous trees, but not so big as to be intimidating or hurt your back. For many people, particularly those with brand loyalty to Stihl, the 361 is (or was) perfectly positioned in the lineup. I could do 95% of what I do just with my 361 if I needed or wanted to, but I wouldn't call it the best Stihl ever made personally because the carb on mine is a pain in the tuchus. I agree, it is surprising it doesn't have more "votes," but it may be that the very middle-of-the-roadness that makes it a frequent recommendation keeps it off the top of the heap. That, and it doesn't have the golden nostalgic glow of the 0 series yet.

Jack

i am going to go with the tried and proven 044.

the 046 would be edged out by a nose. a very good saw on its own merits.

i wonder where my 046 jugged and ported 044 would fit? is it a 044 or a 046?:greenchainsaw:

i am going to go with the tried and proven 044.

the 046 would be edged out by a nose. a very good saw on its own merits.

i wonder where my 046 jugged and ported 044 would fit? is it a 044 or a 046?:greenchainsaw:
You got the best of both, the power of the 046 with the weight of the 044

That's a good point. It may be the most useful pro Stihl for the average non-professional user -- big enough to take on all but truly enormous trees, but not so big as to be intimidating or hurt your back. For many people, particularly those with brand loyalty to Stihl, the 361 is (or was) perfectly positioned in the lineup. I could do 95% of what I do just with my 361 if I needed or wanted to, but I wouldn't call it the best Stihl ever made personally because the carb on mine is a pain in the tuchus. I agree, it is surprising it doesn't have more "votes," but it may be that the very middle-of-the-roadness that makes it a frequent recommendation keeps it off the top of the heap. That, and it doesn't have the golden nostalgic glow of the 0 series yet.

Jack
Very good post!:cheers:
But the title to the thread is "What do you think Stihls best saw is?" He didn't say "ever". That would have made it an easier, more specific question to answer...

Have you ever wondered what it's like to compete in the special olympics. I mean, even if you win, you're still, 'er, you're still in the special olympics. :)

Very good post!:cheers:
But the title to the thread is "What do you think Stihls best saw is?" He didn't say "ever". That would have made it an easier, more specific question to answer...

Hmmmm -- in which case the answers for 038, 041 and 056 are off base, and the 361 too, since they're all in the "ever" category now. It's more a fun question than anything, since what is best varies according to need/intended use and personal experience. There are some here, but probably not too many, who have at least some experience with all the Stihls ever made, but even those with such vast experience and/or collections would probably argue over criteria. But I have a climber friend, brings three or four Huskys to the job, 357xp to 394xp, probably has 15 or 20 big saws, all Huskys. Except for two Stihl MS200Ts. I see lots of guys around here using lots of different rear handled saws, but if you see a guy way up there in a tree with a top handle, 9 times out of 10 it's a 200T. And you can hear one all over the neighborhood, really distinctive.

And there's no special olympics for climbers or climber's saws, it's natural selection all the way. Hats off to you cats.

Jack

how about stihls contra s or lightning s. I've never seen one, but with 12 hp each i think i would sure like them

I've loved every Stihl I've ever run. 'Course, I've only ever run pro models, so...

Anyway, 026/260, 036/036PRO, 361, 044/440, 046/460, 051AV, 056 MAGII, 066/660 -- every one of them is a rock-solid machine that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anybody. The ones I haven't listed are the ones I haven't run. I'm sure I'd like them too.

Latest posts

Back