What does F/W generally cost per cord in your area ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MANORMAN

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Here in Long Island NY prices vary tremendously as does the interpretation of what a cord is stacked or thrown, along with log type. Lots of face cords and shorts being passed off by lots of newbies. We've heard more complaints since SS Sandy than in the past 10 years or more. Suppose all the regular local F/W crews are hearing the same complaints. ( Those complaints sure are good for us straight up and honest load folks aren't they ). Guess the bottom feeders have invaded F/W.
Been surfing old threads and hadn't seen one on geographic pricing. Was just curious.

Usually 150 for lodgepole, 180 red fir, and 200 plus for tamarack. Thats for a seasoned stacked cord, 4*4*8.

varies in south central missouri........ anywhere from 35 a rike or as much as 45........ oak

We sell oak face cords for $100. Full cords will be $275 starting next year. That is picked up at our shop. Delivery is extra and expensive. I am in the firewood selling business not firewood delivery business.

Thanks for the responses so far. Over here the good guys with honest cords are averaging at dead low, 175 mixed to 250 or more for all oak.
Delivery and stacking dependent on location may well be extra. Craigslist tells a totally different story, starting at 130 for a supposed cord, which we hear is at best a half.

T. Mainus - yes , also not in the firewood delivery biz, well said.
Paying 4.42 for diesel here. Gas just slowed a bit but still way high. Insurance here is horrendous.
.........and they all want delivery and stacking,,,,200' away,,,,for free.

Here in Long Island NY prices vary tremendously as does the interpretation of what a cord is stacked or thrown, along with log type. Lots of face cords and shorts being passed off by lots of newbies. We've heard more complaints since SS Sandy than in the past 10 years or more. Suppose all the regular local F/W crews are hearing the same complaints. ( Those complaints sure are good for us straight up and honest load folks aren't they ). Guess the bottom feeders have invaded F/W.
Been surfing old threads and hadn't seen one on geographic pricing. Was just curious.

Hello, there are so many trees down here in Ct. that people are giving it away. Of course you have to do the work but it's well worth it if you are able. Cords of wood delivered are around $200. but it's not selling. The mulch piles are getting huge.

Elm, oak, and cherry hardwood mix is going for $75 a face cord or $100 face cord delivered. $200-250 per cord stacked. A few guys are asking $50-60 for a pickup load. I've seen ads for box elder logs @ $35 cord or $100 for a 14 foot dump trailer delivered.

my prices vary and this will sound strange,old customers(not age) $85.1/2 cord delivered,not stacked. only have a few of these. bins 1/4 cord u-haul $55.
1/2cord uhaul$85-$100 depends on how i feel:msp_confused: mixed oak,ash, locust. i dont know why but i sell a lot of bins.View attachment 284634

In my part of Canada full cords of hardwood are $200 plus delivered. Nobody stacks wood for you here.

I get $150 a full cord picked up in the yard. I don't deliver. Mine is probably 75% hardwood but it varies. Most people here want a little softwood mixed in to get the fire going easier in the morning.

my prices vary and this will sound strange,old customers(not age) $85.1/2 cord delivered,not stacked. only have a few of these. bins 1/4 cord u-haul $55.
1/2cord uhaul$85-$100 depends on how i feel:msp_confused: mixed oak,ash, locust. i dont know why but i sell a lot of bins.View attachment 284634

You probably sell a lot of bins because your customers know exactly what they are getting for their money. There is no guessing going on. That goes a long way.

I get $180 for mixed hardwood and $200 for oak. Free delivery within 10 miles. I am one of the higher priced guys in my area but I sell out earlier and earlier each year - sold 72 cords by the second weekend of December this year. I am thinking about raising the price for all new customers next season. I also don't give discounts for multiple cord orders even though a lot of people ask.

We sell Ash for $135 picked up. Just supplemental, not a business. Alot of people asking $50/face cord. One guy asking $60/ face cord for Oak. Everybody and their brother has Ash because of the EAB. I think when the dead Ash is all gone prices will increase.

Here in NW Ohio we are about the same as jh35 said. EAB has killed thousands of ash trees and everybody is selling firewood. Prices range from $100 - $150 per cord. Most will deliver within 10 - 15 miles at no extra charge. It will take a long time for prices to move up from this range. Good time to have an OWB or stove/insert. Bad time to be trying to make any money selling FW especially with high gasoline prices.

I get $180 for mixed hardwood and $200 for oak. Free delivery within 10 miles. I am one of the higher priced guys in my area but I sell out earlier and earlier each year - sold 72 cords by the second weekend of December this year. I am thinking about raising the price for all new customers next season. I also don't give discounts for multiple cord orders even though a lot of people ask.

people ask about discounts too. i tell em i dont get a discount on fuel if I buy more and i dont work for less sawin up more wood. some get jacked .TFB.
my dad tells people the wood is free, there just payin for fuel, delivery, splittin and his time, not to mention equiptment.:msp_smile:

Im getting $60 for a face cord sold from a rack in town. The building owner (my wife) lets me put it in the parking lot for free. People just pay for the wood right there at her business. She calls me and I fill the rack on the way home. Sometimes its the last thing I want to do after logging all day but the extra income is good. I sold 11 face cords from there last month. So far only 2 this month.
Im getting $160 for a full cord picked up here at home. Im almost sold out so I wont sell many more cords from home so I can keep seasoned wood in the rack for the camp owners coming up from Pittsburgh all summer.
I'll gladly deliver full cords but I charge a minimum of $210 and if its far Ill tell the customer I'll have to charge them more for the miles. Most folks understand that. Some dont. Stacking is extra as well. That is the one thing people don't seem to want to pay for. I can never figure why people think I want to wheelbarrow a cord of wood around to there back porch and stack it for free. Would they do that for free?

I sold red fir for $160 and tamarack for $180 per cord split but not delivered. I did delivered a few cords to a guys close by just because I'm good friends with him and he paid my extra for the firewood and delivering.

Here's My Price...

In my neck of the woods, $170 will get you a cord of dry firewood, split, stacked, and delivered. That's what I charge, but that requires two deliveries in my truck without the sideboards attached. With the sideboards, I charge $100 a truckload and that supplies 80 cu ft.

BTW, for the past 5 years in Nebraska, $100 a pickup truckoad is standard. Natural gas and propane are both too cheap to charge any price higher than that.

Latest posts

Back