What does "la" stand for?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread should be titled, "fun with the German language..."

I've wondered about this too, so I sent out a note to a good friend and native German speaker to see if she had any insight. She said the Stihl German language owner's manual labels the LA adjustment as "Leerlaufeinstellschraube (LA)" ("throttle stop screw"), but that didn't explain what the 'A' stood for. She said the closest German 'A' word that would apply to the function of the adjustment screw would be "Anschlag" for "stop" (exactly as SEAM said), but if you assume L to stand for Leerlaufeinstellschraube (as the manual states) and A for Anschlag, then together it would sorta be nonsensical, meaning something between "throttle stop screw stop" or "throttle/idle adjustment screw stop." :crazy:

She also observed that the 'L' and 'H' are identified in the German manual as "Leerlaufstellschraube" (idle screw) and "Hauptstellschraube" (main screw), but since they actually adjust the low and high speed jets, it might be that the letters actually denote something in English rather than German (since "low" and "high" seem to make more sense than "idle" and "main"--at least to a carburetion non-expert). Seems plausible, so I called Stihl customer service (in the US) and according to them LA means "Low Adjust." That's not very descriptive either, and seems like a convenient assortment of English words made to fit the letters that are present. So I still think LA stands for a German word (or words). (However, if you extend "Low Adjust" to mean "Low-speed-air Adjust," [as dakotan2 suggested] that actually works pretty well.)

Of the bunch, I like SEAM's answer the best, "Leerlauf Anschlag" for "idle stop." I don't think we'll ever definitively know unless we get something from the guy at Stihl who can tell us what he had in mind when he said, "use L, H and LA for all those screws, Gunther." :)

(obviously it's a slow day today for me to care this much...)

This thread should be titled, "fun with the German language..."

I've wondered about this too, so I sent out a note to a good friend and native German speaker to see if she had any insight. She said the Stihl German language owner's manual labels the LA adjustment as "Leerlaufeinstellschraube (LA)" ("throttle stop screw"), but that didn't explain what the 'A' stood for. She said the closest German 'A' word that would apply to the function of the adjustment screw would be "Anschlag" for "stop" (exactly as SEAM said), but if you assume L to stand for Leerlaufeinstellschraube (as the manual states) and A for Anschlag, then together it would sorta be nonsensical, meaning something between "throttle stop screw stop" or "throttle/idle adjustment screw stop." :crazy:

She also observed that the 'L' and 'H' are identified in the German manual as "Leerlaufstellschraube" (idle screw) and "Hauptstellschraube" (main screw), but since they actually adjust the low and high speed jets, it might be that the letters actually denote something in English rather than German (since "low" and "high" seem to make more sense than "idle" and "main"--at least to a carburetion non-expert). Seems plausible, so I called Stihl customer service (in the US) and according to them LA means "Low Adjust." That's not very descriptive either, and seems like a convenient assortment of English words made to fit the letters that are present. So I still think LA stands for a German word (or words). (However, if you extend "Low Adjust" to mean "Low-speed-air Adjust," [as dakotan2 suggested] that actually works pretty well.)

Of the bunch, I like SEAM's answer the best, "Leerlauf Anschlag" for "idle stop." I don't think we'll ever definitively know unless we get something from the guy at Stihl who can tell us what he had in mind when he said, "use L, H and LA for all those screws, Gunther." :)

(obviously it's a slow day today for me to care this much...)
Leerlauf adjustment? Maybe.

Well... I understood your reference, at least. ;)
cdoremi.gif

My German friend pointed out that if you Google "Stihl and Leerlaufanschlag LA" you get a bunch of hits on German web sites that refer to the LA screw as "Leerlaufanschlag." So I burned all this time figuring out what SEAM told us on page 1. I still find it odd that the Stihl German language manuals define what the H and L stand for, but not LA. Oh well.

Latest posts

Back