What does the Echo "death rattle" sound like?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So how many echo's have you actually killed?

Pruning jobs, working in the bush FOUR death-rattled echos within 3 or 4 months, not mine either, despite warnings the greenhorns insist on buying them because they're half the price of the 200T, I wouldn't touch an echo with a barge pole, they're just fekkin nasty compared to the real deal stihls and huskys

Pruning jobs, working in the bush FOUR death-rattled echos within 3 or 4 months, not mine either, despite warnings the greenhorns insist on buying them because they're half the price of the 200T, I wouldn't touch an echo with a barge pole, they're just fekkin nasty compared to the real deal stihls and huskys

Sorry to bump my boring thread again, but I want to since I just saw that the answer came in:

I asked what's unique about the death rattle of an Echo. I gathered that it's not unlike the death rattle of any other small saw engine, from what you dudes posted here (thanks). I gather that maybe some Echos die at a higher rate than some other saws, because they are shipped with overly lean carb settings (mine were anyway).

But THEN, the international expert on the uniqueness of this rattle finally weighed in, and had nothing to say about it, other than that Echos suck, and that I and others are greenhorn morons. It turns out that the latter isn't true. Also, the expert's report constitutes a pattern for me that clearly evidences something special: southern hemisphere air must be so dense that a saw can't be adjusted to survive it. Surely these adjustments were attempted.

So, case closed for me. If the champion of breaking these saws can't characterize their widely-mentioned swan song, I figure it's nothing special. I've proved to myself at least that the saws can be used hard without dying. Maybe my cutting technique is wrong? I like to run cutters pretty high over rakers, the saw turns medium RPMs and makes long chips, as a result H jet is usually richer for me than it would need to be to hit factory-nominal max RPM, which I don't care about.

Sorry to bump my boring thread again, but I want to since I just saw that the answer came in:

I asked what's unique about the death rattle of an Echo. I gathered that it's not unlike the death rattle of any other small saw engine, from what you dudes posted here (thanks). I gather that maybe some Echos die at a higher rate than some other saws, because they are shipped with overly lean carb settings (mine were anyway).

But THEN, the international expert on the uniqueness of this rattle finally weighed in, and had nothing to say about it, other than that Echos suck, and that I and others are greenhorn morons. It turns out that the latter isn't true. Also, the expert's report constitutes a pattern for me that clearly evidences something special: southern hemisphere air must be so dense that a saw can't be adjusted to survive it. Surely these adjustments were attempted.

So, case closed for me. If the champion of breaking these saws can't characterize their widely-mentioned swan song, I figure it's nothing special. I've proved to myself at least that the saws can be used hard without dying. Maybe my cutting technique is wrong? I like to run cutters pretty high over rakers, the saw turns medium RPMs and makes long chips, as a result H jet is usually richer for me than it would need to be to hit factory-nominal max RPM, which I don't care about.

I must say thank you! For a few things, first off I enjoy your eloquence very much! It moves these threads to a higher form.:clap: Second I enjoy your analytical viewing of critical aspects of using these chainsaws! My simple answer to the above comment would have been that ¨It obviously shows the disrespect you have for your employees that you let these greenhorns burn up their equipment on purpose before trying to help them in advance on a known situation¨. But then again I am a nobody here and my comments will not be percieved.

But still thank you for your analysis!

I must say thank you! For a few things, first off I enjoy your eloquence very much! It moves these threads to a higher form.:clap: Second I enjoy your analytical viewing of critical aspects of using these chainsaws! My simple answer to the above comment would have been that ¨It obviously shows the disrespect you have for your employees that you let these greenhorns burn up their equipment on purpose before trying to help them in advance on a known situation¨. But then again I am a nobody here and my comments will not be percieved.

But still thank you for your analysis!

I agree about the eloqution - A++!! It is very nice to read your writing when so many others can't even seem to form a complete sentence. I was even moved to look up "apocryphal" for a proper definition. For the rest of you - "of doubtful authenticity" - you are welcome.

Keep them coming Todd - you are classing up this joint!!!!

"Pruning jobs, working in the bush FOUR death-rattled echos within 3 or 4 months, NOT MINE EITHER"

So........you really don't have any DIRECT experience with this model, just second, third or fourth hand information from folks who may have lean seized or straight gassed them?

Why don't ya do what I did there "hot shot". Get one, remove the limiter caps, add some fuel that it wants via the mixture screws, and run the piss out of it for 3-4 years. It's not an MS200 by any stretch of the imagination, a tad bulky, and annoying rev limiter, but mine has proven to be a solid performer, and dead solid reliable. It has very good power for the cc's, light years better than the earlier Echo reed valve model top handles.

I've used it on commercial job, clearing 70 pine trees in 2 days, limbing every single one of them with the CS360T, built two pole barns with it, and it's taken on every job that we do for limbing operations. Still hasn't developed a "death rattle", or given us the first bit of trouble in any area......FWIW.....Cliff

Here's a pic of my helper Nathan, we cleared the large pines in the photo, plus the ones on both sides in the background, and the little CS-360T limbed all of them, without a grumble....

271185d1357219801-chainsaw-stuff-002-jpg

Last edited:
I have only heard one saw with "the rattle"... It started and ran... The "rattle", I found was piston slap... It was a Stihl 026... The skirts were wore thin. This wasn't due to any poor components or design that I know of... Just ran in a very dirty environment for many, many years... The "rattle" was at all rpm's... From idle to full throttle... Could this be "the rattle" folks speak of???
:canny:

Agreed, my 026 had a "rattle" the others have more like a "ping" from the clutch

So........you really don't have any DIRECT experience with this model, just second, third or fourth hand information from folks who may have lean seized or straight gassed them?

Why don't ya do what I did there "hot shot". Get one, remove the limiter caps, add some fuel that it wants via the mixture screws, and run the piss out of it for 3-4 years.

It's not an MS200 by any stretch of the imagination... light years better than the earlier Echo reed valve model top handles...

I've used it on commercial job, clearing 70 pine trees in 2 days, limbing every single one of them with the CS360T. Still hasn't developed a "death rattle", or given us the first bit of trouble in any area

without a grumble....

"So........you really don't have any DIRECT experience with this model, just second, third or fourth hand information from folks who may have lean seized or straight gassed them?"

YOU'RE WRONG

"Why don't ya do what I did there "hot shot". Get one, remove the limiter caps, add some fuel that it wants via the mixture screws, and run the piss out of it for 3-4 years."

SEEN IT, BEEN THERE DONE THAT KNOW-ALL, HEARD ALL THE EXCUSES, STILL A HEAP OF JUNK.

"It's not an MS200 by any stretch of the imagination...

HUH COULD'VE SWORN YOU SAID IT WAS

" light years better than the earlier Echo reed valve model top handles..."

THAT'S SAYING NOTHING

"I've used it on commercial job, clearing 70 pine trees in 2 days, limbing every single one of them with the CS360T. Still hasn't developed a "death rattle", or given us the first bit of trouble in any area"

BUY A PROPER SAW AND MAKE EVERYTHING TWICE AS EASY

"So........you really don't have any DIRECT experience with this model, just second, third or fourth hand information from folks who may have lean seized or straight gassed them?"

YOU'RE WRONG

"Why don't ya do what I did there "hot shot". Get one, remove the limiter caps, add some fuel that it wants via the mixture screws, and run the piss out of it for 3-4 years."

SEEN IT, BEEN THERE DONE THAT KNOW-ALL, HEARD ALL THE EXCUSES, STILL A HEAP OF JUNK.

"It's not an MS200 by any stretch of the imagination...

HUH COULD'VE SWORN YOU SAID IT WAS

" light years better than the earlier Echo reed valve model top handles..."

THAT'S SAYING NOTHING

"I've used it on commercial job, clearing 70 pine trees in 2 days, limbing every single one of them with the CS360T. Still hasn't developed a "death rattle", or given us the first bit of trouble in any area"

BUY A PROPER SAW AND MAKE EVERYTHING TWICE AS EASY

Keep in mind in the past you admitted those Echo saws WERE NOT tuned. Tune a saw proper and everything is twice as easy. Steve

Sorry there hot shot, seeing it and hearing about it is NOT the same thing as doing it. You need to pull your head out of your backside and do your own evaluations, using modern thinking, correct tuning, and just a little bit of common sense.

Like Steve, I've had quite a few Echo saws in here, and other power equipment, and have never had the first or slightest P/C issue to date with any of them. As I've stated in the past, some models are not very impressive for power production, others are OK, and some rival the very best professional models out there.

You are the first one on every one of these threads to bust on Echo saws, and haven't even owned, tuned, or ran one yourself. We have words for folks like you that I can't put up here in public forum:;)......Cliff

Can you please enlighten my vocabulary. You know I am from oversees so I am always eager to learn some new words... ;)

I had been on a search for a top handle saw for a while. I use a 200t everyday of my life with the utility company I work for and am well aware of its dominance of the class, but I only had a budget of $200-$300. I first noticed the Echos at a local shop and started researching this site and reading about Cliff Rs experiences with the 360t. I was lucky enough to get a very used but not abused 360t from a guy for almost nothing. He had taken the limiter caps off while cleaning the carb. The very first thing I did was pull the whole catalyst thing out of the muffler and weld it back up, I left the exit hole alone and added a brand new Oregon 91vxl chain. Tuning the carbs was not difficult thanks to Cliff R. I brought it to work this week to compare it to the 200t and I was very surprised, it will cut right along side the Stihl. The die hard Stihl guys at work couldn't believe it. Hell,I couldn't believe it...it runs smooth and I don't foresee it just suddenly developing a "death rattle" and blowing up. I am VERY proud of this little Echo sitting along side my Stihls and Dolmars.

I had been on a search for a top handle saw for a while. I use a 200t everyday of my life with the utility company I work for and am well aware of its dominance of the class, but I only had a budget of $200-$300. I first noticed the Echos at a local shop and started researching this site and reading about Cliff Rs experiences with the 360t. I was lucky enough to get a very used but not abused 360t from a guy for almost nothing. He had taken the limiter caps off while cleaning the carb. The very first thing I did was pull the whole catalyst thing out of the muffler and weld it back up, I left the exit hole alone and added a brand new Oregon 91vxl chain. Tuning the carbs was not difficult thanks to Cliff R. I brought it to work this week to compare it to the 200t and I was very surprised, it will cut right along side the Stihl. The die hard Stihl guys at work couldn't believe it. Hell,I couldn't believe it...it runs smooth and I don't foresee it just suddenly developing a "death rattle" and blowing up. I am VERY proud of this little Echo sitting along side my Stihls and Dolmars.

That's what Cliff was saying for years but you sure don't want to step on 200t toes. Steve

Wow,that's a lot of talking to describe one noise.:biggrin: Anyone with any two stroke experience knows what a death rattle sounds like.It's used to describe piston slap,rod knock or any other rattle type sound shortly before they commit mechanical suicide.
It happens to all of them when they're not maintained-or just worn out.
Generally speaking,you get what you pay for though there are exceptions both ways.People that pay half as much want theirs to be as good as the higher priced unit,while those with the higher priced unit want theirs to be twice as good as the cheaper one.
As for brand specific noises,may be the Echo death rattle is the sound you hear while standing in an Echo dealership looking at their saws while jiggling the change in your pocket.:msp_tongue:
J/K,I don't know,I don't own one-just thought that sounded kinda funny:jester:

I work on small power equipment here in the shop, and to date have never once had the first issue one with P/C failure of any piece of Echo power equipment.

I own or have owned quite a few different models. In my inventory are two leaf blowers, string trimmer, garden tiller, CS-370, CS-510, and CS-360T. I got rid of my other Echo saws, CS-300, 301, 340, 440, 670, 800. None of them made the grade for me, but never once did they fail to do what they were supposed to.

Echo's reed valve top handle saws are compact, dead solid reliable units, but WAY underpowered compared to piston ported models from other manufacturers. They stepped up with the CS-330/360T's, so I tried one. I find it a bit "bulky" for a top handle, but PLENTY of power and chain speed for the cc's. Does it blow an MS-200 into the weeds, no. But for half the price, it will do the same exact thing, once you throw some fuel to it. If you have the means to split the muffler and remove the CAT, it's does even better.

The CS-360T has two negative features. I don't like the rev limiter, and it's "bulky" for a top handle. I'd love to see the same engine in a compact MS-200 style package, without the rev limiting module. At that point it would be basically the same saw at half the price.....IMHO.....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back