What exactly does "woods port" mean?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crofter said:
Somehow I anticipated bigger ships:biggrinbounce2:

How bout this one?

IMG_0402.jpg

Welcome to the gun show!
IMG_0405.jpg

Now you are talking! Now thats a "port". Dem udder boats weren't even big enough to find a spot to make a "port" hole!

Crofter said:
Now you are talking! Now thats a "port". Dem udder boats weren't even big enough to find a spot to make a "port" hole!

Well, they were race boats. The ship is the USS Wisconsin, and is very cool. We've been to see it several times. It has the teak (I think it's teak) decks. Much nicer than the gray steel decks I saw in the USN.

Canyon Angler said:
Sorry if this is a dumb question. I keep seeing people talk about "woods porting" their saws, and I've searched around on "woods port" here and on Google and at Wikipedia, and all I find are posts on AS from people who have "woods ported" saws, but there is no explanation of what it is.

So, WTH does "woods porting" mean??? And why is it called "woods porting"?

Thanks, Jeff

Jeff, quite simply, a saw modded to perform better than stock every day in a working environment, vs a saw modded for racing.

Mark

NWCS said:
my "woods port" package is a modification geared to a saw that is going to cut wood all day, they are meant to be used, get dirty and ugly, mill logs, etc. they have the power to get the job done with more end of day production over a stock saw.
I agree with you on that Ben. Plus they must be operated with a huge GRIN at all times when running. :hmm3grin2orange:
I used to think why would anyone want ported saws, then i ran some. :help:

If someone were to ask for a milling, or torque encouraging port job, how would that be different than the standard woods port? And would milling be too much of a taxing load on a woods ported saw? Would removing the cylinder cover do enough to keep it from overheating?

you actually want to keep the top cover on, one of its major jobs is directing the air from the flywheel to the cylinder fins. the flywheel timing is not advanced on a milling saw, final tune is set a bit richer. a few other things go into it, but those are the biggest.

aquan8tor said:
If someone were to ask for a milling, or torque encouraging port job, how would that be different than the standard woods port? And would milling be too much of a taxing load on a woods ported saw? Would removing the cylinder cover do enough to keep it from overheating?

aquan8tor said:

Removing the cover will cause the saw to overheat!! It deflects the air through the fins.

Does powder coating the cylinder make much difference as far as heat? There's a jug on Ebay I'm watching and they have powder coated the entire thing. I would think it would tend to run hotter.

I wouldn't buy one of those! It will make the heat dissipation worse... The powder-coat acts as a surface insulator.

If it were purely cooled by radiating, a matt black (anodized) body would be best, but grey metal works pretty well.

In the case of a saw cylinder, it's mostly cooled by conduction of heat from the fins to the air - the air moves fast removing the heated air close to the surface.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. One more question, if anyone knows: Is it called a "woods" port because there was somebody named Woods who came up with it somewhere along the line...or is it for "working in the woods"...is a "woods port" somehow different from a "Smith port" or "Jones port"...?

Tech Line Coatings

Tech Line is a company that makes various engine coatings. Some dissapate (spel?) heat, others insulate, some are anti friction. Their products have been used at the highest levels of racing. I have used some of it on headers. Amazing stuff,,, very expensive. I have often thought of trying their products on a saw. If I remember correctly, doing all of the heat management and friction coatings can be 5% on a 4 cycle, I would think the results would be more effective on a chainsaw powerhead/bar and chain. I floated the idea out to a couple of builders a year ago, but they didn't seem interested. Simonizer never replied to my emails, but that/ or something similar may be what he was calling the "paint" on his jugs.

Coatings

Luke said:
Tech Line is a company that makes various engine coatings. Some dissapate (spel?) heat, others insulate, some are anti friction. Their products have been used at the highest levels of racing. I have used some of it on headers. Amazing stuff,,, very expensive. I have often thought of trying their products on a saw. If I remember correctly, doing all of the heat management and friction coatings can be 5% on a 4 cycle, I would think the results would be more effective on a chainsaw powerhead/bar and chain. I floated the idea out to a couple of builders a year ago, but they didn't seem interested. Simonizer never replied to my emails, but that/ or something similar may be what he was calling the "paint" on his jugs.

Hello folks ok ceramic on piston top,anti friction stuff on the skirts:
is this a woods saw? was racing little 2 stroke motorcycles and that was what was used and worked.
A bit of port matching goes a long way..
as to paint on cylinders you really want to make it harder for the heat to get out!:D

Back