What happened to giftofwood stihl site?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesReed

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have not been a member very long but had a desktop icon that went to giftsofwood site to look up some stihl related info. Did he/they shut the site down? I really hate that. Very useful. Is there a site or CD one can order that shows the various Stihl model saw parts and schematics/diagrams?

He's had problems with people pirating the files, burning them to CD's or printing them, and then selling them on eBay. He had to shut it down for a bit not too long ago, then put it back up once things got sorted out, but I believe it has been happening again.

If you want more info on why it's down, you might pm him, he's thompson1600 on here.

Crappy deal there, but not shocking at all, they want you to have to buy the literature from them, or just pay your dealer to fix it. :mad:

I have had Stihl dealers to be cold shouldered about selling me parts in the last 20 years, like they think they are the only ones that know how to repair chainsaws. I am afraid it will bite them in the rear eventually, to be so close knit about the dealer network. I still run some Stihls and probably will as long as they are around, but the competition is stiff to be so independent these days and times. Sure would like to keep the Stihl sites up, copyright or not.:monkey:

That sucks, that was a good site. Too bad people took advantage and ruined it for everyone. I bet Stihl wouldn't have cared if they hadn't been pirated and shown up on ebay as stated.

I had a feeling it would just be a matter of time before Andreas's thugs shut it down.

I archived some of the documents on my hard drive for the saws I own.

Too bad we can't password protect it for AS members and convince the Stihl thugs that it will be used for personal use only.

It was great while it lasted!!!

The Stihl CDs used to show up on eBayware, but I don't recall seeing them in a while. Mine cost me about $11.00 total. When I get my new computer (soon) I'm going download every chainsaw file (IPL, service, whatever) they have onto CD.

davefr said:
I had a feeling it would just be a matter of time before Andreas's thugs shut it down.

I archived some of the documents on my hard drive for the saws I own.

Too bad we can't password protect it for AS members and convince the Stihl thugs that it will be used for personal use only.

It was great while it lasted!!!

There you go again using that "thugs" word... that will sure get their attention and make them AS friends.

I also liked the idea of a free site, but copyright is copyright, and if you don't protect it, you loose it. I'll wait for the dust to settle (I'm sure right now its "no comment") and then see if my contacts in Stihl will indicate if they are going to make a resource available other than through dealers. Last I checked the Stihl.de site has all the info for public access.

This day and age most companies are putting are of their manuals and parts lists on the their websites for free download.

I am sure that Stihl will put theirs on their site as some future point!

I love being able to download and read the owners manual before I buy a product. Amazing how many of the marketing website claims on capacity, hp, performance etc and different at the venders websites vs what it is in the manual.

MikeInParadise said:
This day and age most companies are putting are of their manuals and parts lists on the their websites for free download.

I am sure that Stihl will put theirs on their site as some future point!

I love being able to download and read the owners manual before I buy a product. Amazing how many of the marketing website claims on capacity, hp, performance etc and different at the venders websites vs what it is in the manual.

The Stihl owners manuals are online at Stihl USA. Until two weeks ago all the IPLs were also online at Stihl USA, and, you could ask for an IPL and they would mail you a hard copy within a few days. Problem was, many of those requests just got resold on Ebay.

I saved it and can still access the manuals.
If someone needs something lay down a post and I will help if I can

How to get it..

Hi folks. New here, hows it going?

I found that if you look the site up on google and then visit the cached page
all the manuals ect are there and can be downloaded.

Good luck.

Not being ignorant Josh, I think everyone suddenly had something important to do after reading your post ;-)

Joshua said:
Hi folks. New here, hows it going?

I found that if you look the site up on google and then visit the cached page
all the manuals ect are there and can be downloaded.

Good luck.

And now Stihl knows...

melodrama? Don't assume that Stihl knew to google for the content... but I'd bet they read this site, so...

Last edited:
I don't see what the big deal is myself, it's just paper, pictures and numbers.If Sthil feels so infringed upon, they could sell those IPL's for a few bucks themselves. Pirating off e-bay is wrong but you will always have bottom feeders. When you consider the size of the Sthil corp, this is really small time nit picking on their part.

If Sthil is throwing such a hissy fit, what about those calendars that are being sold on e-bay, those are usually free from the dealers if they carry them, how come they are not putting a kabosh on those , or is that different???? Still has their name on it, just like anything else they produuce.

Larry

Ax-man said:
If Sthil is throwing such a hissy fit, what about those calendars that are being sold on e-bay, those are usually free from the dealers if they carry them, how come they are not putting a kabosh on those , or is that different???? Still has their name on it, just like anything else they produuce.

Larry

They have already sold the calendars - the dealers have had to pay for them. If the dealer sells them or gives them to a "known reseller", then the dealer has problem with Stihl. Same for printed copies of the IPLs on Ebay (which stihl gave away for free until two weeks ago.

Latest posts

Back