What happened to my MS390?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Did a rebuild on a MS290 using a 390 kit. These have always turned out pretty good for me, just put it together, prime it and start it the first time. Except this time I couldn't get it to run but just a little while and now it seems to not have as much compression. I primed it with fuel mix that I use in my other saws so I don't know why this one turned out like it did..Even if I had straight gassed it the saw only ran for about 2 seconds, probably not enough to damage it.

When you pull it can you hear escaping air? Much like I can on the MS270 through the decompression valve.
Did you get interrupted when assembling it? A bolt or a few weren't completely tightened up & when it ran for a moment the pressure loosened them more?
From an outside point of view, third person sorta thing. ;-)

When you pull it can you hear escaping air? Much like I can on the MS270 through the decompression valve.
Did you get interrupted when assembling it? A bolt or a few weren't completely tightened up & when it ran for a moment the pressure loosened them more?
From an outside point of view, third person sorta thing. ;-)
I put a plug in the hole where the de-comp valve should be and I know I got it tight. Just went out and checked the ignition module, thought maybe it quit but it was working. I didn't have any interruptions but I did quit several times, waiting on parts, etc.

The stuff Stihl has made in China is made to standards and put through quality controls. The cheap AM stuff certainly is not made with any standards and has zero quality control. The Chinese are more than capable of making precise components but with precision and strict quality control the price is much higher than the cheap stuff made by sub standard or on a sub standard production line. All this BS I keep on reading about Stihl parts coming from China so they must be on the same level as the sub standard AM parts is complete milarky . A clone is a clone, it could be made with the same standards as the big saw companies demand but the price would be much higher, for the cheap AM stuff out there there is no quality control, some work but much does not work or last.

Tolerances can be off between piston to cylinder clearance, ring end gap, squish is usually excessive but could possibly be too tight. Just about all clearances need to be checked at assembly time, port shapes can be ragged or too flat at the top of the exhaust port, rings catch, wrist pin circlips are thrown due to being too soft or having ears that break off. The quality control is terrible.

Latest posts

Back