What happened to this poor old Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if they would give up the cylinder it is still usable.....exhaust port and one transfer is nicked up but it would still be useable. just throw away the second ring and reinstall the piston....

Now how do we go about rigging the big end rod bearing?
No easy feat. They prob use a bearing made at an odd size just for Stihl. Otherwise you could use a shop press and install a new one and true the crank up.

No easy feat. They prob use a bearing made at an odd size just for Stihl. Otherwise you could use a shop press and install a new one and true the crank up.
probably, been waiting on one of stihl's bearings for over a month. got 3 261's that need new cranks installed and the recoil side bearing has been on backorder since first of December

Isn't warranty for commercial use just 3 months?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
yep 90 days but

I am guessing if this would have went back to a good stihl dealer that it POSSIBLY would have been warrantied, at least parts but who knows. I had a similar issue with dolmar a few years back....saw was out of warranty by a year and the crankshaft broke, dolly covered all parts/customer was responsible for labor.

if they would give up the cylinder it is still usable.....exhaust port and one transfer is nicked up but it would still be useable. just throw away the second ring and reinstall the piston....

Now how do we go about rigging the big end rod bearing?

Tell them it has variable valve timing with automatic decomp for easy starting.

Nate we got a thread about the big end rod bearings letting go on these and this Redneck fix from a guy overseas is doing ;). Said they are holding up with new bearing and husky rod. ;) http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/stihl/stroked-ms460461-with-365372-con-rod/
First off, cool idea but it off these guys price range and time frame that they could wait on the saw to get fixed. Might have to inquire about buying the saw so I can give this a shot.

Secondly, when did they start allowing links to your site? Nice to see them coming around

First off, cool idea but it off these guys price range and time frame that they could wait on the saw to get fixed. Might have to inquire about buying the saw so I can give this a shot.

Secondly, when did they start allowing links to your site? Nice to see them coming around

I was told link for info is OK. Being I am not a competing site for sponsors etc.

So did you talk them into a 7910?

$262.49 crankshaft+$50 for bearings/gaskets+$41.49 piston+$100 labor=$453.98+tax=$484.62 for a saw with a questionable cylinder.
That sucks the way they overprice that stuff. You should be able to rebuild the rod bearing for the cost of one bearing and labor. What do you think made it come apart defective run on their parts or operator? If it was a 200T I would have enough used cranks right here.

probably, been waiting on one of stihl's bearings for over a month. got 3 261's that need new cranks installed and the recoil side bearing has been on backorder since first of December
9503 003 0322 is the flywheel side bearing. the distributor we use has them in stock. if you're a dealer you might check with your distributor to see if he can get them drop shipped from ours. if you're not a dealer, you might check with your dealer to see if he can call his distributor to have the shipped from another location.

9503 003 0322 is the flywheel side bearing. the distributor we use has them in stock. if you're a dealer you might check with your distributor to see if he can get them drop shipped from ours. if you're not a dealer, you might check with your dealer to see if he can call his distributor to have the shipped from another location.
not a stihl dealer.

I have thought about seeing if they could do that but i keep thinking it will come soon....its a crankshaft bearing and i cant be the only one installing new cranks in 261's. I have had a bunch of small parts go on backorder but only for a week or 2. this 6 week thing is getting a bit aggravating and i have already called all the local dealers, none stock the bearing so i cant even go out of my normal supply channel for them.

its a crankshaft bearing and i cant be the only one installing new cranks in 261's
no sir...we've done a couple under warranty. I now stock a set of bearings for them. the ones we've seen problems with are the old versions...not the new lightened version. just out of curiosity, did they order you that bearing alone or did they order you the kit that comes with the new crankcase screws?

Of all the power tools I can think of, I do believe that chainsaws receive the least amount of respect and get abused the most.

AND........everyone thinks they know how to properly use them.............:rolleyes:
Exactly. Well said

no sir...we've done a couple under warranty. I now stock a set of bearings for them. the ones we've seen problems with are the old versions...not the new lightened version. just out of curiosity, did they order you that bearing alone or did they order you the kit that comes with the new crankcase screws?
crank, bearings, gasket set individually

Back