What Husky saw is that?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It does appear to have the 2-piecc ignition set up. This leads me to believe it is 162/61/ or 266/8 .
The best way to determine other is to pull muffler and check bore dia.

:agree2:

The saw has the wrong oil pump to be a 181/281/288. The pump on this saw would have been found on a 61/66/162/266/268/272.
One thing that I notice is the idle screw is part of the crankcase and not on the carb, to me that counts out the 268/272. If I had to take my best guess I would lay my money on a 61 or 266 SE/SG.

Edit:
With the idle screw being in the case that would most likely make the carb a Tilly 163A

Last edited:
:agree2:

The saw has the wrong oil pump to be a 181/281/288. The pump on this saw would have been found on a 61/66/162/266/268/272.
One thing that I notice is the idle screw is part of the crankcase and not on the carb, to me that counts out the 268/272. If I had to take my best guess I would lay my money on a 61 or 266 SE/SG.

Edit:
With the idle screw being in the case that would most likely make the carb a Tilly 163A

Alot of good info. You are on the money.

There is confusion from some about the pics. I was confused myself until I looked them over again. The original post with 5 pics is the saw in question. Post #4 showed a pic of his 181 to compare to. This pic is being mistaken for the saw in question. The original saw pics do not show a coil under the right side of air filter like the 181.

The saw in question from the original post is a 61 or 266. The case is not from a 268/272. A few reasons are top cover hole bolt locations and coil mount holes are not from 268/272. To the original poster-get the numbers off the base of cylinder on flywheel side.If it starts with 50 and has Mahle stamped on the opposite side base,it's a 266 cylinder. Get those numbers and we can pinpoint whether it is a 61 or 266. That air filter was more common on a 266. The saw could also be mix or the two. They are both fine saws that are worth fixing with the 266 being the larger and more powerful of the two. I think you have 266 from what I can see of cylinder.

Last edited:
It does appear to have the 2-piecc ignition set up. This leads me to believe it is 162/61/ or 266/8 .
The best way to determine other is to pull muffler and check bore dia.

Correct on noticing the saw is set up for the 2 piece ignition, which means the saw can't be a 268, as they had the single ignition.

Not a 162, as the 162 had a metal tank.

Not a 61, as the 3rd pic shows the cylinder having the contour of a closed port casting.

It's a 266!!:blob2:

I think alot of people were confused with the extra pics that were posted...

I too got a little confused then went back and reread it closer...

So was I right?....:clap:

Okay, missed the bus on this one. All I could say was it was not a 268/272, and was probably a 100 series saw or earlier. I've never been in a 266, so you are over my head here.

Thanks everyone

Great response all! I'm no expert, so give me a day to digest all of the input, and ill see if i can offer more relevant photos for all ye Gods to pore over! One thing is for sure it's pretty ancient, so I suppose it's really just an academic exercise, but I know its fun for some of you!

Thanks again, more photogs to follow

Ok, decided to check the Acres chainsaw site and I am a bit wrong, Husky 266xp is 66.7cc 3.3kw rated, Jonsered 670 super is 66.8cc 3.7kw rated, Husqvarna 272xp is 72cc and 3.8kw rated power. Sorry.

Don't apologize, it's all good, sharing info is why we're here. There's a lot parts swapability among the 670/630/625 series Jonsereds, and the 26*/27* Husqvarnas (no doubt I'm leaving out some models :D). You could get a headache trying to read all of the Jred/Husky compatibility posts here on AS!

More info on what saw is that...

Ok, sorry if any of this doesn't make sense, but...

I don't where the number plate is, or I just can't find it! sorry

The spring in the clutch is a single spring goes all around, not 3 springs

I measured the bore and it seems to be about 50mm

I think the new photos should help too.

Cheers

By the way Im in the UK not Australia, and i think this saw was first bought and used in the UK.

Ok, sorry if any of this doesn't make sense, but...

I don't where the number plate is, or I just can't find it! sorry

The spring in the clutch is a single spring goes all around, not 3 springs

I measured the bore and it seems to be about 50mm

I think the new photos should help too.

Cheers

By the way Im in the UK not Australia, and i think this saw was first bought and used in the UK.

I would venture to say husky 266se

I had heard 272 = 670 and may be wrong but my saw hasn't complained with the 272 parts..............

Wrong, yes - but many parts will swap both ways! The 272xp is basically a 268xp with a larger engine - the 268xp was rated at 3.5 KW, to complete your list..... :msp_smile:

Btw, the info on Acres site isn't always reliable.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back