Battery saw comparison

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishahaulic

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I posted this in the home owner forum, it was suggested to post on this forum.
Hello everyone, due to some issues with my back, and my age I'm looking for a small battery saw just for yard work/cleanup. After much research, I think I've narrowed it down to two models. First one is a Stihl MSA 70C, next is a Husqvarna 120i, just wanted to get some opinions good or bad from any current users.
Thanks in advance.

Has anyone had any experience with the Husqvarna 120i, looks like it would work for my needs and is fairly light.

I have used battery saws, but not those models.

It’s important to look at the whole ‘family’ of tools supported by the battery platform you are buying into.

The batteries are half the tool.

You may truly believe, ‘I am only buying this one tool.’ But they are like potato chips: ‘maybe a pole saw, string trimmer, leaf blower, hedge trimmer, . . . ‘

Once you have 2 batteries, you can start buying ‘bare tools’ (no battery or charger) for half the cost.

So, also look at which other tools are supported by those 2 models mentioned.

Or, as @OM617YOTA suggests, if only for occasional use, and you already own DeWalt, Makita, Milwaukee, etc., cordless tools, check out the saws that run on those batteries.

Philbert

I have a Husky120i that does a good job . It does have a manufacture defect that pulls the bat down over a few days. Just remove the bat after every use, thanks you tube, I thought I had a bad bat.

Unless the tool has a solid ker-chunk ker-chunk switch, and not just a button, then it will draw some amount of power all the time. Best to make a practice of storing the tools without the batteries inserted.

Unless the tool has a solid ker-chunk ker-chunk switch, and not just a button, then it will draw some amount of power all the time. Best to make a practice of storing the tools without the batteries inserted.
We do not have that problem with the Kobalt 80-volt unit we bought. It holds its charge for months.

Back