What I did on leave last month, poor ash trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapplermi

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hey guys,

Haven't been back home to northwest Ohio for sometime, due to deployments and overseas assignments. We're changing stations to Texas, so we were in Ohio for just about all of August. A little hot to do firewood, but it needed to be done, the first set of pics includes a huge pile of wood that needed cut to lengths and all the rounds in there needed splitting. I estimated around 12-14 cords; took me three solid days to go through it all. It is at my uncle's house, who feeds a CB6048 with all of it. His 11 year old daughter, my cousin, is battling a horrible, terminal strain of cancer; so he's got plenty of other stuff to worry about. By virtue of my job, I can't be around to help them out much, so it felt good to do something I love doing anyway; something that made him ready for a year and half or two of burning. He was always there for me growing up, taught me how to fix cars, etc.

The second set is a couple of me dropping a dead ash at one of our farm houses, I dropped 8 altogether. I made all the wood for my old man, who never seems to be able to catch up without me around. We own/farm around 4400 acres, and this year was a nightmare in northwest Ohio. The rains just didn't cooperate. So, I got him around 9 cords ready for the next couple of years, he couldn't be happier. It hurts my heart to see all the dead ash trees everywhere. I heard you guys talking about it on here, but never would have expected to see so many dead trees everywhere back home. What a shame. Also, threw a couple pics of my boy's first big bass that he caught on his fifth birthday, he fought that beast for like 10 minutes! Hope you enjoy the pics.

regards,
Matt

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Thanks for serving!

I was just given 2 ashes by my neighbor. He had them cut down, and I got with the company that did it and had them cut the big pieces to length(3' in diameter. Can you say noodle?)

I'm not sure there is an ash tree left in NW Ohio... This area is 30 miles from where it was first discovered. It's as bad as the chestnut blight or the dutch elm disease. However, I have enough ash firewood for the next 3-5 years!

PS: On a side note, the local park district is replanting some of the ash areas with a resistant american elm. We'll see how that works in about 10 years...

you are welcome. Yep, it definitely wiped them out. I was telling dad, if they didn't rot, I could cut ash for the next thirty years and not get through them. Might just be me, but I swear it looked like something was killing the tops of maples too. I saw all sorts with dead tops.

Thank you!!!! for the pics and your service to the GREATEST country on Earth served by the BEST military in the world!!!BTW the boy caught a nice hawg!!:rock:

woo HOO!

ya ya ya nice loads of wood and stuff and LOOKITTHATDANGFISH

That's one of those things your boy will remember till he is a great grandpa himself!

thanks guys, the boy really loves doing man-work and the like; trying to raise him to be a man's man, unlike the way most of America is headed.
That truck is my baby, looked all over the country for one with a 7.3, low miles, supercab, and 4x4, 6-speed. Found it in Montana, brought it back, painted it; now I'm working on all the rest of it under the hood. Thanks again guys.

Latest posts

Back