What I did today, the good bad and ugly.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Reaction score
Well, after a day of slashing and burning brush, this evening I went to knock out a job for a neighbor (1.5 miles away). The task was to fell 10 trees. Seven were small at 5 to 10 inches and 3 were large. On one of the larger small trees, the tree went backwards. I got the bar out quickly but it closed the kerf and looked like it may take out the corner of a storage shed at worst and a fence at best. I was sweating bullets while I went to the truck, got a throw line and a small diameter rope and got it rigged. Wife drove the truck over and I hooked the rope up and she pulled it over in the intended direction of fall. it didn't take much pressure to bring it over. I was thankful that it patiently sat there at the brink of destruction while I resolved the crisis. Ok, done with the 026 and fetched the 044 with a 28" bar for the larger trees. First one was a sweet gum and it went over with no trouble with the encouragement of a couple wedges. Next was a large pine. this Loblolly wasn't too scary because the branches were weighting it somewhat in the direction of fall. I was just about done with the face cut when I rocked the chain. Well, a very large spike would be more accurate. All I knew is that I hit something (felt it) and the chain wasn't throwing chips anymore. This was on the initial cut on the face. I was deep enough so I got the 026 back out to finish the angled part of the face. Made it through that ok and while I was trying to bust out the wedge it wasn't quite free so I stupidly tried cutting in the area holding it and promptly wrecked that chain too. Now I wasn't sure what to do because I don't like putting two faces in the same tree but didn't want to make the back cut without the wedge being gone. I took my mallet and beat the snot out of the wedge until I broke a third off of it. Then I went to the other side and got a third off of it. Then I knocked out the middle section except for a little piece about size of a golf ball (where the spike was)

Meanwhile, I had gone back to the truck to file what was left of the 044 chain. This was a brand new chain (of course) and there were several teeth completely gone, a couple partly broken and some just dulled. Got the thing sharpened as best I could (of course I didn't have another saw along or an extra chain)

So, I make the back cut using lots of wedging and it goes over with a crash. Then I see the spike. This was completely buried in the wood. One of those large timber spikes that has a shank nearly 1/2" in diameter. I had just missed it with my angled face cut and the horizontal cut just barely got it. If I would've cut a couple inches higher or lower, then it would've all been good. Anyway, moved to the last tree. This was a huge Loblolly pine and it was on the other side of the fence. wedged it over and it caused all kinds of carnage to other trees on the way down. I was watching for debris as stuff was flying all over the place as chunks were being catapulted by trees springing back vertical. It made a satisfying thud and I packed up and went home relatively happy. Sad about the chains (one was used up anyway) and happy that I didn't have to fix any fences or storage sheds. I'll assess the chain to see if I can cut it into something smaller but I suspect it's a stumping chain now. Never lost that many teeth off one before. Oh well...

All I did today, was sleep in late, check the mail, and then went out for a nice lunch.

Tonight, I plan to kick back in my recliner and watch tv.

Tomorrow, I might sleep in late, check the mail, and go out for a nice lunch.

Retirement........it's all that......and more. :)

Was cutting down a cottonwood a couple
of years ago. Tree was around 4 ft in diameter. Dead center hit barbwire. Lost that chain.

Last edited:
I dug junipers off one side of the mountain and transplanted them to the other side.didnt get done so off to do the same thing tomorrow. Lol when I get cc done I got 14 apple trees to prune.wish spring would get here.

All I did today, was sleep in late, check the mail, and then went out for a nice lunch.

You suck.lol

i blew a chain two weeks ago, same thing. it just stopped cutting. cool thing was after the tree went over and a few bucking cuts later, we found lead musket balls in the trunk. Kids counted the rings, this was civil war tree and had saw some action.
Pic of the mini balls?

i blew a chain two weeks ago, same thing. it just stopped cutting. cool thing was after the tree went over and a few bucking cuts later, we found lead musket balls in the trunk. Kids counted the rings, this was civil war tree and had saw some action.

That right there is just awesome. I had a bad tonight, dropped my partially assembled 026 and broke the fin next to the spark plug. Chaps my rear!

Some time I don't even check the mail because the pension goes directly into the bank...LOL

Some time I don't even check the mail because the pension goes directly into the bank...LOL

Yup......my pension check is deposited directly as well.

I check the mail for that 1 million dollars a year prize for life, from Publisher's Clearing House. When I win, I'll pay for porting and MM for all members of this forum. Oh yeah, I'll also buy the Stihl saw of your choice. :blob2:

Well earlier in the day, between burning brush piles, I pulled the top handle off of the Stihl 070 as I'm going to try to put on some rubber handle coating. I found some 3/4" heavy duty rubber heater hose and took quite a while to rig a way to inflate the hose. Now I just have to plug the other end of the handle and hope to get it installed the next time I'm in the shop. I'm going to use some Astroglide for lube and see if I can slide it on.

Yup......my pension check is deposited directly as well.

I check the mail for that 1 million dollars a year prize for life, from Publisher's Clearing House. When I win, I'll pay for porting and MM for all members of this forum. Oh yeah, I'll also buy the Stihl saw of your choice. :blob2:
If I had a check from Publishers Clearing House my mail lady would be howling so loud I could hear her three hollers away.

Pensions..... Oh you baby boomers gots it all nailed down.

Oops I'm sorry no social/political comments in the chainsaw forum. I Do beg your pardon.

Got woke up at 5am from the work emergency pager and had to go in to see what was wrong. (Not a happy camper this time of morning) decided to stay and finish 8 hours. Got off at 1:30, filled up truck (another gripe). Decided to check out the scrap yard. Lo and behold I found a Home lite 350 with a 20 inch bar and new chain (chain on backwards, no wonder they tossed it) saw was locked up but put the bar and chain on my xl400. And found a big box store Homlite also. All for $9. Turned out pretty good after all.

Back