What I use delivering wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here are the dollies I use to deliver wood. I just welded them up from cheap hardware store dollies. I have tried a wheel barrow before but it was a pain. These work great for steps. Also they hold 4 face square feet. Eight trips and you have a rank of wood. This makes it great for not having to stack wood on the truck to see how much I am giving people. What do you guys use? I am always looking for something better.

Scott

Here is the old beater truck that I haul with. I put 3 ranks on the truck and 5 on the trailer when I go deliver. I could put 4 on the truck and 6 on the trailer but that is a lot of weight. Plus 8 ranks in a day is enough delivering and stacking.

Scott

I don't stack, and only take it as far as I can throw it from the back of the truck. I.E. no taking it through the garden gate round the back under the porch, don't step on the petunias, watch for the yappy Chihuahua that thinks it's a Pit Bull ... it gets piled in the front yard or as close as I can get with the truck. Can you tell I don't do this for a living?

Ian

I don't stack or toss. I dump wherever they want it as long as I won't get stuck. Can you tell I do it as part of my living?:chainsawguy:

A lot of my people wouldn't buy the wood if it wasn't stacked. I don;t even meet 85% of my customers. They call and give me an address. I deliver the wood leave my name and address and they mail a check. People are shocked when they call me and I do that. I have yet to be screwed. A rew slow payers but nothing bad. I'm getting around $95 for a rank now. That is abut average. So people around here still do it for $70 in St.Louis. I can still buy it for $40 around where I live 30 miles South of St.Louis.

Scott

I'm getting around $95 for a rank now.
I might stack and haul for that price. I get $55 for about that (4x8x18")

Don't Short Nobody.

I haven't sold much, but I sell by the fraction of a cord. I always figure out the Cu Ft of what I promised, stack the truck and trailer so I can show them stacked volume if asked and throw on an extra few sticks just to give them a warm fuzzy.

Ian

Holy Crap !! You guys are actually getting that much for that little bit of wood????? I help my buddy sell firewood and he gets $125 a full cord and $150 delivered, not stacked. If he tried to sell it for that price around here he would get laughed at for sure...

$150 for a half cord of oak dropped in driveway where I can back up to with the truck. stacking is $45 a hour - have had no takers yet.

just a note on price.
I have had 7 customers drive 60 plus miles from the Reno/Tahoe area in the last 3 weeks to buy rounds for $150 a cord. No oak in there area and only 2 locals selling oak at $500 a cord. :jawdrop: makes me want to stack my truck and drive up their

Delivering wood

I use my Big Tex trailer model 35SA. I don't sell the firewood but "process" it at my house, where I farm it out to my friends and relatives. Keeps 'em warm and cozy. Alot of folks around here find it difficult to pay the oil bills, so if they burn the firewood all weekend, it saves them a few bucks. Money better spent on their kids!

firewood

i'm usually over in the forestry and logging forum because i primarily cut sawlogs, but on residule hardwood trimmings we're getting around $160 a cord dumped wherever if it's split and seasoned, $115 unsplit. "Location central Wisconsin"

Stihlboy088,

When I was in the wood business it was back in close to the spot I can and dump it off. No stacking firewood for me you can't pay me enough to stack firewood. I don't even bother selling wood anymore its not worth it. For the amount of work involved and the gov't wants their stumpage fee's off of it forget it. Most people are converting to pellet stoves or propane with propane being the most common. The days of using wood heat are slowly disapearing.

The only time I will cut firewood is by the hour you want to pay me 30 dollars per hour to buck firewood I will I don't split it.

It is cheaper to turn the thermostat on the electric baseboards than it is dealing with firewood. You figure firewood costs 150-200 dollars a cord its not seasoned thats cut and delivered the same day or close to it.

Many that have converted to a pellet stove say its a more consistant heat and more heat also far cheaper than buying and dealing with firewood. Guys that used to burn 4-5 cords a year are down to 1-2 pallets of pellets. One guy I know says his pellet stove will cook him out of the house it gets the house so warm. He is done with ever cutting firewood again.

Many that have converted to a pellet stove say its a more consistant heat and more heat also far cheaper than buying and dealing with firewood. Guys that used to burn 4-5 cords a year are down to 1-2 pallets of pellets. One guy I know says his pellet stove will cook him out of the house it gets the house so warm. He is done with ever cutting firewood again.

I had a pellet stove for 3 yeas. It was O.K. I guess. But when the power goes out like it does here on top of this mountain alot. There is no heat. It didn't seem to radiate heat like a good wood stove and you are also at the mercy of the pellet makers. The price for one 40lb. bag went from $1.30 to around $2.50 in just the three years that I had one.
And good luck finging pellet in my area anyway. If you don't get them in May or june you are NOT going to get them and then you have 2or 3 huge pallets taking up your garage space for the whole summer.
No thanks I will take my wood stove. I can stack the fuel source outside out of the way, have a nice radiant heat and still have heat when the power goes out.

Very few people I sell to use the wood for real heat. Most people just have "honey fires" Honey I want a fire. Most people just buy a rank. about 20% get 2 ranks. I just make a lot of stops.

Scott

Nice to have the convienence of an auto feeding pellet stove, but when the power goes off-no heat unless you have the battery backup. Three years ago there was a run on the pellets and none was to be found for months. Most here would prefer to run their saw(s!) and splitters and get solid free heat.

Most people have a small generator it will run the feeder and it also runs some lights in the house but won't run the electric baseboards.

Its easier to walk over to the wall and turn up the thermostat the electricity is cheap :D

There is no such thing as free heat:
346XP - $400
540 - $150
015 - $5
Ford 1600 - $6000
Arctic Cat 650 TRV - $6500
Log SPlitter - $600
Gas / Oil / Maint. - $400
20 acres - 40,000 (not including house)
Woodmaster OWB fully installed - $11,000

Breathing crisp, cool air w/ a hint of wood smoke - priceless

Latest posts