What I use delivering wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After the initial investment-346xp, generator, etc, the cost of oil saved by buring wood is made up, becoming a savings in the next year. And at $2.77 a gallon here, you make it up pretty fast. And often enough, you use those toys, er' I mean tools, for other things. Doing favors for friends is my number "1"

radiant heat in your floor

when i'm not logging or doing tree work, iv'e taken up the hobby of laying ceramic tile, ended up doing more of that this summer than i had planned. i found out on my third tile job about placing electric radiant heating coils underneath the flooring. i got a call a about a week ago from the folks i did the work for (they also order firewood from me) and they were wondering if i could lay tile in their bathroom and putting the underlayment coils in there too. They say that running the heat in the floor isn't costing them much more than their regular electric bill and really notice a difference in how much it regulates the heat in the house better than before. so i guess if your looking for more ways to keep the house warm give it a try, it also works well under hardwood flooring, i plan on putting it in my basement this coming winter.

Dave,

yup

if i hadn't tiled the bathroom down there just a couple of years ago i probably would want to rip it up and put the coils in there too. But we put two forced air heaters in there close enough to the floor that if you go and flip them on 2 minutes before you go in there it's almost the same effect. we have maple hardwood floors in the upper portions of the house. The halls, dining room, and living room were refinished around 12 years ago and have held up beautifully (can't wear caulks in there though) the bedrooms however haven't been redone in over 40 years, so that'll end up being the test to see how well the coils work underneath hardwood. (Maybe i'll put the stuff in my pole barn too.:jester:)

Dave

I really dont think you can beat the heat from a fire. My first house had a gas heater and although it was convenient and worked well I suffered alot from colds and ailments in winter.

8 years in my current house with a flush mounted log fire as the only heat and I rarely get sick and love the heat from the fire.

My inlaws have a heat pump and the place fels like a hospital. Dry -yuk - heat.:dizzy:

Last edited:
What,.....

When I was in the wood business it was back in close to the spot I can and dump it off. No stacking firewood for me you can't pay me enough to stack firewood. I don't even bother selling wood anymore its not worth it. For the amount of work involved and the gov't wants their stumpage fee's off of it forget it. Most people are converting to pellet stoves or propane with propane being the most common. The days of using wood heat are slowly disapearing.

The only time I will cut firewood is by the hour you want to pay me 30 dollars per hour to buck firewood I will I don't split it.

It is cheaper to turn the thermostat on the electric baseboards than it is dealing with firewood. You figure firewood costs 150-200 dollars a cord its not seasoned thats cut and delivered the same day or close to it.

Many that have converted to a pellet stove say its a more consistant heat and more heat also far cheaper than buying and dealing with firewood. Guys that used to burn 4-5 cords a year are down to 1-2 pallets of pellets. One guy I know says his pellet stove will cook him out of the house it gets the house so warm. He is done with ever cutting firewood again.

What,?????

Delivery trucks

We usually use a 1 ton with a dump trailer. We also use a diesel dump truck. Both hold about 3 cords. We never stack, driveway delivery only.

1997.....gas bill for month of January......289.95

Month of February.....installed 90.00 woodburner, freestanding...w/chimney and pipe......

Gas bill for month of February.......13.57

Plus....I like getting out and having fun and getting the excersize!

i live in licking county ohio . we are on an electric co-op . and getting robbed , my electric bill runs over 100.00 a month as doe's most in this co-op . hay but when I'm over 70 i will get one bill a month free . what a deal . the coal oil i buy for my furnace is about 3.75 per gallon. i do not use that furnace unless I'm going to be away from the house for all day or over night , i keep my add on wood furnace going 24 hours a day . cut all my own wood , i can't believe what some of the prices of cord wood is across the states . i just looked in the local shopper , and here you can buy cut and cured . slab wood 60.00 a cord . hard woods 90.00 to 100.00 delivered . seems like a lot of work for 100.00 to me . and alot of people around here burn corn . h

Nice

Here are the dollies I use to deliver wood. I just welded them up from cheap hardware store dollies. I have tried a wheel barrow before but it was a pain. These work great for steps. Also they hold 4 face square feet. Eight trips and you have a rank of wood. This makes it great for not having to stack wood on the truck to see how much I am giving people. What do you guys use? I am always looking for something better.

Scott

STL, nice mods on your truck,..I might mod his truk, some day for more capacity, but he likes the fact it saves his back around the shop, as well as moving wood in ,,Nice pic and work,..T,C, E,J,

We usually use a 1 ton with a dump trailer. We also use a diesel dump truck. Both hold about 3 cords. We never stack, driveway delivery only.

WHat brand of dump trailer is that, what size LxW, and gvwr, how long have you had it and how do you like it? Anything that you'd change?

THanks.

Love the watch cat.

my general policy on stacking is "If I do it myself I gaurontee the stack won't fall" you help and your on your own."

When I was in the wood business it was back in close to the spot I can and dump it off. No stacking firewood for me you can't pay me enough to stack firewood. I don't even bother selling wood anymore its not worth it. For the amount of work involved and the gov't wants their stumpage fee's off of it forget it. Most people are converting to pellet stoves or propane with propane being the most common. The days of using wood heat are slowly disapearing.

The only time I will cut firewood is by the hour you want to pay me 30 dollars per hour to buck firewood I will I don't split it.

It is cheaper to turn the thermostat on the electric baseboards than it is dealing with firewood. You figure firewood costs 150-200 dollars a cord its not seasoned thats cut and delivered the same day or close to it.

Many that have converted to a pellet stove say its a more consistant heat and more heat also far cheaper than buying and dealing with firewood. Guys that used to burn 4-5 cords a year are down to 1-2 pallets of pellets. One guy I know says his pellet stove will cook him out of the house it gets the house so warm. He is done with ever cutting firewood again.

Well, I guess we know who has been "sniffing the pickles" in this thread eh?

There is no such thing as free heat:
346XP - $400
540 - $150
015 - $5
Ford 1600 - $6000
Arctic Cat 650 TRV - $6500
Log SPlitter - $600
Gas / Oil / Maint. - $400
20 acres - 40,000 (not including house)
Woodmaster OWB fully installed - $11,000

Breathing crisp, cool air w/ a hint of wood smoke - priceless

Here's my startup list:
MS 361 $630
All Other Saws $400
1997 Ford Ranger $5,000
25-ton Log Splitter $1,800
Other splitting equipment $60
Cast Iron Wood Stove and Hookup $1,800
Annual Chimney Sweep $150
Hauling Carts and Wheel Barrow $200
Gasoline and Oil $300
Parts and Maintenance $300

Does free wood heat exist? Hehehehe...
Feeling the radiant warmth of a wood stove on a cold day? Priceless.
Cooking a thick, juicy steak on a wood fired bed of coals? Priceless.

Around these parts,I know of no one who delivers firewood and stacks it for the customer. Not saying it isn't standard practice in some places, just never seen it here. The truck arrives, backs across the lawn, makes tires ruts, dumps the load and then leaves with money in hand.

Around these parts,I know of no one who delivers firewood and stacks it for the customer. Not saying it isn't standard practice in some places, just never seen it here. The truck arrives, backs across the lawn, makes tires ruts, dumps the load and then leaves with money in hand.

Try adding it as a service. A lot of people I sell to are women. They don't want to stack. Old people don't either. Business guys don't want to either. I charge a lot for wood and I sell all I have because people pay for services.

Scott

Latest posts

Back