What is a Father to Do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
I can't believe it, I think my daughter Michelle, who is only 15 wants to be a Lumber Jill, what a compliment!
She wants to work in the woods, so I suggested Timber Sports and she really twigs to the whole thing. Michelle has the personality, the strength and the looks to be a winner. She already is a fast runner and a very accomplished soccer player
She drove my skidder yesterday for the first time as though she stole it.
So what I am asking is, because I want to do right, what sort of events should she concentrate on? Would Bowsaw be ok? Chainsaw is alright by me, but chopping scares me for her.
Here's a video of Michelle skidding her first hitch.
John

I would start off with axe throw. It encompasses many of the movements for several events. Also, pushup help the sawing big time. You may want to think about building a log stand that is 20" high for her to practice on.

Axe throw: 20ft from mark to target, center of target is 5 ft.

Later,
chris

Chopping scares me too John. I bet it is terrifying, having a beautiful and talented teenaged daughter. Guess she got her mother's looks?;)

Thanks Chris, I was hoping you would respond. I gota hand it to you, you will go to any race, any time and anywhere. The axe throw sounds like a good place to start for Michelle. Next time you and Gretchen are by, I'm sure the Boss could show her a few tricks.
Stumper, the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree! lol.
John

little leroy's daughter

Hello Leroy,
Nice video, She's operating that skidder pretty well for the first time. A chip off the old block. Now you'll have to check her out on the 362 husky and show her to fall properly and send some more video's
ken
kdhotsaw

Congrats Gypo! She has a good logging teacher. Is she the one thats been grinding your chains? No wonder they cut so well.

Look forward to hearing about her competition days. Now you will be traveling the circuit along with Chris and gretchan. Sounds like Gretchan could teach her some really good stuff for competition.

Keep us posted,
Hunter

Re: Crap!

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
Every since I downloaded windows service pack 2, this is all I see when I attempt to view a .mov.

:( :( :(
That's what I see if I click on a link to a BMP file.  It just means the browser doesn't "know" how to handle the data, so it tries to render it as if it were text.

Perhaps re-installing the latest quicktime browser plugin will be the most painless way of fixing your current Windows problem.

Glen

John,

In addition to the reasons that Chris gave, axe throw is a good place to start because it is about the least expensive event. You can practice with just about any double bit with a tight handle. A competition throwing axe can be obtained for $80 USD. It is easy on the wood pile, too.

You may also want to try Jack and Jill crosscut, not so much because it is the best event to get started in, but because it will give you something to do with your daughter. If you decide to try it, have Chris, Ed or somebody that knows what they are doing show you the proper stance and technique, and find the proper saw for the wood in your area. Be prepared to spend $800+ USD on a racing saw.

You should also check with the contests before you register, a few will be antsy about having a 15 year old in the show. The last thing that you want is to show up at a contest and be DQ'ed because of her age. This probably the minority, most shows will be glad to have a young lady in the event.

Oh, yea, you may as well get your hotsaw running, since your'e going to be at the shows anyway!

Chuck

Thank's for all the help that's been offered. I will get a stand made up for axe throwing. I have up to 36" dia. Pine for the target, but what size and thickness should it be?
Ken I was thinking more along the lines of a 346 with 13" bar, but she likes the 385.
Thanks,
John

John,

For your target, IMHO the thicker the better, thin targets are more likely to split off the edges, eating away the target. 16-18" isn't too thick, if you can lift it up on the stand. Leaving a ring of knots toward the back may keep it together a little better. Bigger in diameter is better too, there is more of it to hit:)

As for the target painted on the wood, there are almost as many variations as there are contests. Most common is a 4" daimeter bullseye with 4" wide rings, but some shows put a 2" or 3" bull inside the 4" to cut down on the throw offs.

Good luck,

Chuck

Gypo she is at the right age to start learning , it is alot more to do with skill than power but when you get both thing happen.
we need alot more women in timbersports and we are far and few in my area so get her ready and we will see if she would like it

Back