What is a grapple load??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A grapple load is what they can commonly get on a logging truck in your area. Definitely not a specific amount around here. It will vary depending on how the truck is set up, and by your state regulations on truck weights and such. The logger you are buying from should be able to give you a reasonable estimate on how much firewood the load he brings you should yield. I bought a grapple load that was about 8 cord for $900 last winter....... you mileage may vary.

Firewood008.jpg

A grapple load is what they can commonly get on a logging truck in your area. Definitely not a specific amount around here. It will vary depending on how the truck is set up, and by your state regulations on truck weights and such. The logger you are buying from should be able to give you a reasonable estimate on how much firewood the load he brings you should yield. I bought a grapple load that was about 8 cord for $900 last winter....... you mileage may vary.

Firewood008.jpg

Thanks, that helps.

And to illustrate the regional differences mentioned above, here is a picture of the load I had delivered a few years back. 20 cord as bought, once cut/split/stacked more like 17 cord.

161439d1291999156-wood-east-jpg

Not the exact truck that delivered to me, but to give you an idea:

View attachment 277724

The portal crane where I work can lift 30 tons. We've cut that back to about 26 tons because of cable usage and other parts. All trailers delivered to us can haul tree length pine and other wood but we mainly use pine. That's about 11 cords and that's figured with a green weight calculator for short leaf pine at 26 tons. Have a Wagner 90 that can lift 45 tons but can't get that kind of weight on a regular tree length log trailer if it's pine. Wood like we use is bought by the ton. We consider 130 loads per day normal. That's a lot of wood.:laugh:

Nice, another new word. i have figured out that a grapple load is the rough equivalent of a "crap load" as in a lot of... So, i guess a whack is a 1/4 of a crap load

New term to me, but looking at the pictures, it appears roughly equivalent to a term less politically correct, but the same as crap load, that we use around here.

last i knew a grapple was about 4 whacks, give or take.

Somebody hangs out on FF. :hmm3grin2orange:

For shelby, that would be a double grapple load, using the truck and the trailer. Usually it is just the truck for a single grapple load. At 17 cords, that is about right or a single coming in at about 8 cords.

I bought a grapple load that was about 8 cord for $900 last winter....... you mileage may vary.

Is it me or does $112/cord seem to high, you can get split/delivered green wood for $130/cord.

Seems to me if your buying tree length in higher quantity's you should be in the $80/cord range.

Back