What is a krab?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try to avoid krabs...
crab_louse.jpg

but yes its also slang for a biner

you got it. Its an abbreviation and the reason it gets written with a K is because we need differentiate between our work tools and our non work activities such as catching crabs from Lucy down the street or setting crab pots in the bay

well...ok then....I doubt if we start calling them krabs but what the hell...now I am a little smarter than I was earlier. I like to call them carabiners or "beaners" but I am sure that is wrong.

Too further complicate things we call the steel non locking type we use for ziplines and rigging stuff like small branches krabs becuz they can pinch you and the ones for climbing biners. We also call the screwtype for rigging stuff biners but everybody knows they are for rigging and not to touch my locking ones lest they get a hurtin put on them!

Do they have to be steel or can they be aluminum? I've got alot of Black Diamonds I use as krabs.

It it is the euro rock jargon for carabiner, I think I heard it was derived from the German Karabiner

From the petzl Williams package label
Karabiner mit weiter Öffnung mit automatischer

You beat me to it by 4 min Kenny, only because I was going for documentation. Pthhhttt

It it is the euro rock jargon for carabiner, I think I heard it was derived from the German Karabiner

From the petzl Williams package label
Karabiner mit weiter Öffnung mit automatischer

You beat me to it by 4 min Kenny, only because I was going for documentation. Pthhhttt

The always thorough JPS

Well, i'll try and wait longer next time! Actually, i started using the term more, when someone (JP?) suggested that 'biners was a poor choice of words; especially in an industry with so many of Hispanic descent.

I only know one meaning for biner. Beaner is not in my vocabulary.

Crabs are for dinner, sometimes a byproduct of unwise recreation/procreation, sometimes a childrens pet, usually a sea creature. I never use that sound to describe climbing equipment. It just sounds wrong, and I don't have any germans working for me.

I can hear it now: "Hey! Give me some Krabs" to a gaggle of unproductive groundmen.

Yeah, I started the anti 'biner thing with some speculation.

I like Young Nick's comment that the abbreviation is lazy typing :laugh:

hey Kenny, wazup, don't you want to be my friend? :laugh: I've only got two and I asked you days ago :)

Last edited:
ummmmmmmmm i thought i did that b4, and even more formally with a check mark a few daze ago.

Yes, it is easier typing; that part doesn't bother me a bit!

Edit, i just fumbled into clicking on your name here (in addition to checking yes b4) and it asked me to confirm, so now it is done, we are joined.

Now, if we were to get a divorce, how does that go; and do i get half?

Last edited:
Back