What is an easy resolution for accepting credit cards on the spot???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForTheArborist

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have seen little credit card swipers for the smart phone. I've seen rates like 2.5% without a regular membership fee. I was also thinking the old manual swiper would be efficient. That's the kind that you drop the card in face up, place the carbon paper over it, and then slide the bar over the top of the card to get the embossed numbers to show on the paper.

Somebody has to have a tried and true way to take credit cards out in the field.

I contract climb for a guy occasionally that uses Quickbooks at something like 2.5-2.9%. He is happy with it because it goes right to his account, both bank and Quicken. He has a simple little swipey thing for his phone and WALA, Money. I do not have the access as of yet to the interwebs via my phone so it is not for me. Looks like a possibility though.

I contract climb for a guy occasionally that uses Quickbooks at something like 2.5-2.9%. He is happy with it because it goes right to his account, both bank and Quicken. He has a simple little swipey thing for his phone and WALA, Money. I do not have the access as of yet to the interwebs via my phone so it is not for me. Looks like a possibility though.

I'll check that one out.

I have seen little credit card swipers for the smart phone. I've seen rates like 2.5% without a regular membership fee. I was also thinking the old manual swiper would be efficient. That's the kind that you drop the card in face up, place the carbon paper over it, and then slide the bar over the top of the card to get the embossed numbers to show on the paper.

Somebody has to have a tried and true way to take credit cards out in the field.

A lot of credit/debit cards don't have raised numbers anymore. The slide thingies won't work on them.

I don't take credit cards but i think paypal would be a good way. If you have a website you could link it to paypal. Anyone ever tried this?

I use quick books. They call it Go payment. There is no monthly fees, and the rates arent all that bad to swipe, or even keying it in. The card reader doesnt work for my droid 3 phone so i just have to key it in. You just need a smart phone and 20 mins to sign up for it. Pretty easy, I just charge a 4% convience fee to use it to make back the fee they charge me.

It's not on the spot credit card ability but I just heard of a company called "Cashboard" that apparently rivals Quicken. I haven't tried it yet but heard from a business owner friend that he has it and it's great. Sends out bills monthly and when payment is made by credit card, it notifys him by text so he know when the money is deposited to his account. Gonna check it out.

Pretty easy, I just charge a 4% convience fee to use it to make back the fee they charge me.

That's not legal.

I toyed with the idea of taking cards w/my smart phone but the rates are a little insulting. I'm not losing several hundy a week so my customers don't have to fill out a check. I might consider it in the future for storm situations working out of town but it is not something I'll advertise.

Idk about you blakesmaster but I know before I even give a price how the customer is going to pay. I give a discount for cash because I don't have to worry if the checks gonna bounces. When they say credit card I just add 4% to my price before they even get the price. I have paid alot of 3% fees over the years when buying stuff at events and what not.

The problem with paypal is if you register as a business, they charge you more fees. I looked at pay pal first then realized there was more fees then just having a card machine at the office.

I still think the best way is going to be the ol' reliable carbon paper and manual card slider. Then input the info at home. I'm sure this is the most cost effective way.

I used to have somthing set up through PayPal. It was 30 bucks a month AND they wanted to charge me like 4.9% to give me MY money. UNLESS I spent it through PayPal, then spend away and avoid the 4.9%. I shut the system off with the understanding I can turn it back on with a click or two of a mouse. I got tired of paying 30 a month with almost no one pulling out a credit card. I thought it would be the greatest thing ever...all impressive n ****...not so much. I thought I would pick up lotsa last minute work from neighbors...nope, not really. If I did more storm work, the kind where people have no real choice, I may have more of a need for it. There has been two times this year that a customer pulled a card but we were able to work it out. Both cases the customer paid me later, just like they said they would, and both seemed glad they didnt have to charge it. I will def keep an eye out for low cost ways of accepting CC that dont kill me when Its time to give me MY MONEY. (esp when I already paid a monthly fee!) And oh ya..a couple times customers pulled AmEx cards, but said it was no problem to write a check...they just wanted the "reward points" or some ****....

I can take american express through go payment also but the rates are higher. Go payment is the only one I found with no monthly fee so far.

Idk about you blakesmaster but I know before I even give a price how the customer is going to pay. I give a discount for cash because I don't have to worry if the checks gonna bounces. When they say credit card I just add 4% to my price before they even get the price. I have paid alot of 3% fees over the years when buying stuff at events and what not.

People charge fees for cc's and I've paid them before as well. Still doesn't make it legal. Unlike you, I don't question how I will be paid prior to bidding, seems kinda scummy in my book. To each his own but I do my best to represent a legitimate business man who has no interest in circumventing tax laws. Not saying you're trying to get around the tax man but I feel that is the image portrayed when offering discounts for cash.

Many of the gas stations around here have two prices, one for cash and another that is about 5 cents more per gallon when you pay with a credit card. Naturally they post the lower cash price on the signs with a tiny "cash" under it. I too was under the impression that you can't charge more for a credit card transaction so how do these guys get away with it? They are right out in the open, everybody can see it.

Last edited:
Many of the gas stations around here have two prices, one for cash and another that is about 5 cents more per gallon when you pay with a credit card. Naturally they post the lower cash price on the signs with a tiny "cash" under it. I too was under the impression that you can't charge more for a credit card transaction so how do these guys get away with it? They are right out in the open, everybody can see it.

Not sure. I'm just going on what the bank lady told me. Since this is her job I assume she knows the law. She admitted that people still do it, how they get away with it? Your guess is as good as mine.

Latest posts

Back