Tree work credit card scam

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow just got my second scam attempt. Different perpetrators reading from the same script. Having a published email and phone number has always gotten me thousands of spam but this focused phishing attempt is a first, and a second, both within a week.

Aerialist

My guy "Joey" dropped a tree on"Timmy's" house, injured his arm and died from the blood clot. Police and OSHA showed up, I'm in jail, my business is shut down, and I'm out money for q funeral and hospital bills. Still no cc number...

Commercial/residential tree workers beware!

I am located in Phoenix and I wonder if you guys are getting hit by a similar credit card scam to the one below.

This is a recent email I received,

"Hello my name is Richard i will like to know if you do tree trimming service for the home and can i know if you are the owner or manager and do you accept credit card?"

The scammer always sends out the same general email or text. When I tell them to call they respond that they can't talk over the phone because they are deaf or have lung cancer or some other physical impairment.

At that point they text or email me an address to a real home and claim they need a bid on the trees. However this address is also part of the scam. They are neither the owner nor occupier of the home. I assume it's just an address they found online.

In only one case did I get to talk to one of the scammers. After receiving a scam text I told the man who said his name was "Roger" to call me. A few minutes later I received a phone call from a different number. The man spoke broken English in a thick Indian or middle eastern accent. It was pretty obvious his name wasn't Roger. I could barely understand him and he said he would text me the home's address but that was the last I ever heard from him.

They always ask up front if I accept credit cards so evidently it is some type of credit card scam. Somebody tries this on me at least once per week but I know their lingo so I don't even respond anymore.

I am in Illinois and got this text today, Text from 970-999-7732 Hello my name is Richard,am do you remove large trees and do trimming & do you accept credit card?
I also seen this explanation from BBB,
In situations like this, a scammer will contact a business to contract a service. When the time comes for payment, the business is overpaid. The alleged criminal then asks the business for a refund of the over payment. When the over-payment is refunded, it is discovered that the card used for the payment was stolen or invalid. The business is out the payment for their work, and any “refund” monies sent to the illegitimate customer.

If asked to email Charlie Kaiton at [email protected], think again. The sheriff’s department has been contacted. If you are a victim of internet crime, you can contact the FBI. You can report scams to the BBB Scam Tracker.

They are trying that up here as well. My buddy just got called. The vacant address they gave him was actually a neighbour of a friend of his. Call didn't last long after that. :)

Just got another from 720-523-5254:
Hello my name is micheal scott,do you do tree removal service and stump ridging do you accept credit card if if so text me asap

I replied:
Michael, my name is Dwight Schrut. I am the Assistant to the Regional Manager. My boss said we do not take credit cards. We do, however, offer the best stump ridging available.

Just got the same text from 405 277 8513. A Mr. Peart Edgar. Had to have it done immediately. Wanted to know if I take credit card payment. Wanted general tree removal and stump grinded. Wanted to know if I'm the owner. Gave me an address here in town. I'll drive by and check it out in a couple days. I think I'm going to mess with him a while.

I got a credit card one from 405 area code the other week text. Tons of the seasonal irs ones. Then I got a scam mail said you owe us 203$ doesn't say why some generic business name absolutely zero explanation I was thinking this is the most pathetic one yet. Then my insurance lady called I guess it was from someone they sub part of my insurance policy to:) You just assume scam do not reply if its not from someone you have contacted.

I've been getting these for months. I'm glad I finally thought to google it and this thread popped up. My guess is they're getting leads from this board. I decided a couple weeks ago to tell the guy to call me if he wanted to discuss and we went round and round. I could tell it was a scam but I wasn't sure what the end game was. From here on out I'm going to see how much of their time I can waste.

I been getting these same deals too lol. I actually went to one job looked it over then the text spiel and I got suspicious. I Finally told the scammer that I must have my eyes on the owner to actually do work for him. I knew something was not right but I figured it might be a neighbor wanting me to cut trees not on his own property putting my insurance at risk etc. Good thing I have that sixth sense ehh lol :cheers:

I got one of these emails a while back. Knew it was a bogus because besides the poor grammar and such the guy's name was "Benson Joker." Yep, sounds just like someone I want to do business with.

Commercial/residential tree workers beware!

I am located in Phoenix and I wonder if you guys are getting hit by a similar credit card scam to the one below.

This is a recent email I received,

"Hello my name is Richard i will like to know if you do tree trimming service for the home and can i know if you are the owner or manager and do you accept credit card?"

The scammer always sends out the same general email or text. When I tell them to call they respond that they can't talk over the phone because they are deaf or have lung cancer or some other physical impairment.

At that point they text or email me an address to a real home and claim they need a bid on the trees. However this address is also part of the scam. They are neither the owner nor occupier of the home. I assume it's just an address they found online.

In only one case did I get to talk to one of the scammers. After receiving a scam text I told the man who said his name was "Roger" to call me. A few minutes later I received a phone call from a different number. The man spoke broken English in a thick Indian or middle eastern accent. It was pretty obvious his name wasn't Roger. I could barely understand him and he said he would text me the home's address but that was the last I ever heard from him.

They always ask up front if I accept credit cards so evidently it is some type of credit card scam. Somebody tries this on me at least once per week but I know their lingo so I don't even respond anymore.
We own a tree service in NM and have had this same scam several times. The first time I spent forever texting them back and forth to get the description of what work they needed an estimate for. Then sent my husband to the house, which was vacant and for sale. Now every time I get a text from a deaf person wanting to know if we take credit cards I don't even respond.

I have recieved 4 of these myself. all were vacant houses. i drive by just to see if i know any of the neighbors to warn them but nothing close to people i know yet

So I have been getting the same text all week (southeast Iowa). This guys wants to pay with a check (assuming same scam though) So finally I gave in to see what the scammers were trying to get. Gave them a price of $900 to cut an Ash tree down that is maybe 10" at the base. They took my bid (of course). needed my address to send check, sure no problem gave an address to one our old farm houses. Then came the catch, supposedly they are also having some electrical work done at the same property. They want to pay me a total of $4200 cause they can only write one check and then want me to pay the electrician. And that is where the scam is. I'll cash check, then they will want me to pay the electrician, then 2 weeks later ill get a call from the bank saying it was a fraudulent check and they will take money out of my account and I'll never get money back from electrician (that's not real/ the scammer).

So I have been getting the same text all week (southeast Iowa). This guys wants to pay with a check (assuming same scam though) So finally I gave in to see what the scammers were trying to get. Gave them a price of $900 to cut an Ash tree down that is maybe 10" at the base. They took my bid (of course). needed my address to send check, sure no problem gave an address to one our old farm houses. Then came the catch, supposedly they are also having some electrical work done at the same property. They want to pay me a total of $4200 cause they can only write one check and then want me to pay the electrician. And that is where the scam is. I'll cash check, then they will want me to pay the electrician, then 2 weeks later ill get a call from the bank saying it was a fraudulent check and they will take money out of my account and I'll never get money back from electrician (that's not real/ the scammer).
I'll keep you informed if I receive the check. No I will not be paying the electrician or removing tree.

Back