What is CAD and do I have it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BiggerDiggler

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have searched high and low for the definition of "CAD", but something tells me I might have it?

It occurred to me the other day when I used my lunch money to buy a MAC 10 (because of the perty yellow color) and a Poulan 42cc (because everything on it looked like a Husqvarna except for the color). And because neither one of them needed any work.

I waited until my wife spent a week with our daughter giving birth, and stayed home and rebuilt 4 carbs at the breakfast nook on thanksgiving day.....because I could get away with it. I confessed to her later though.

A pawn shop nearby just put out a bunch of 288xps and I have been obsessed with an offer on all of them they would take.

I only have 20 saws, so maybe mine is a hopefully mild case?

I'm not really sure what it stands for either. I took a Reasonable Deduction class in college so I'm going to see if I can reasonably deduce what it may mean.

1) Chainsaw addiction disease/disorder?

2) Chainsaw acquisition disease/disorder?

Maybe someone who really knows will chime and reveal what it is.

Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder.

It's just G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Disorder) customized for the Chainsaw.

I am unfortunately burdened with GAS. I collect everything.

I'm not really sure what it stands for either. I took a Reasonable Deduction class in college so I'm going to see if I can reasonably deduce what it may mean.

1) Chainsaw addiction disease/disorder?

2) Chainsaw acquisition disease/disorder?

Maybe someone who really knows will chime and reveal what it is.

All the above .:big_smile:

I'd like to state this is my first post on AS and as a member I want to formally say I have TAD. ( tool acquisition disorder) I just cannot stop collecting tools.

Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder.

It's just G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Disorder) customized for the Chainsaw.

I am unfortunately burdened with GAS. I collect everything.

Does gear just mean general stuff?

If so, that is me. I like all kinds of equipment and tools. I will buy expensive and nice tools to use when I could easily get by with cheaper and less cool stuff. I don't really need a 441cm or a toolcat, or dewalt 36v cordless tools. I could have gotten by with cheaper stuff. The chainsaw collection is just obvious though. I had one of the nurses at work look at me and sincerely ask, "Why would anyone need more than 1 saw." I can justify 3 very easily for what I do. Big one for felling and bucking. Little one for limbing. Bow saw for cutting up limbs if you don't want to have to bend over (also easier to keep out of dirt). Then have to have 3 more. One mounted on ripsaw, alasakan mill and mini mill.

Need to sell my other 5200 as it is currently sitting idle. Need to get the old 3400 back up and running (fuel line and tank vent) and put the bow back on it.

I also collect stuff to have just in case. I live to have lumber, plywood, screws, scrap metal, welders, etc. just laying around in case I want to whip something up. I don't get to use my stuff as much as I would like to, but it sure is fun when the time comes. Guess that is what it is all about.

B-Rock,

Welcome aboard sir.
You will find 2 things are true.

1) Chainsaws ARE tools.
2) We are all enablers. We fawn over acquired chainsaws like they were newborns.

Does gear just mean general stuff?

If so, that is me. I like all kinds of equipment and tools. I will buy expensive and nice tools to use when I could easily get by with cheaper and less cool stuff. I don't really need a 441cm or a toolcat, or dewalt 36v cordless tools. I could have gotten by with cheaper stuff. The chainsaw collection is just obvious though. I had one of the nurses at work look at me and sincerely ask, "Why would anyone need more than 1 saw." I can justify 3 very easily for what I do. Big one for felling and bucking. Little one for limbing. Bow saw for cutting up limbs if you don't want to have to bend over (also easier to keep out of dirt). Then have to have 3 more. One mounted on ripsaw, alasakan mill and mini mill.

Need to sell my other 5200 as it is currently sitting idle. Need to get the old 3400 back up and running (fuel line and tank vent) and put the bow back on it.

I also collect stuff to have just in case. I live to have lumber, plywood, screws, scrap metal, welders, etc. just laying around in case I want to whip something up. I don't get to use my stuff as much as I would like to, but it sure is fun when the time comes. Guess that is what it is all about.

Yes it does. I have Chainsaws, Guitars, motorcycles, Tractors, antique fishing equipment, firearms, tools, machines, Electronics, etc... in far greater quantity and size than I should.
This is not to be confused with hoarding. I mean, those people have a problem.............

Hoarders

Yeah, we are NOT like Hoarders!

I also have 15 cars, four jetskis, a big boat and probably 50 cameras. But I won't keep NOTHING if it doesn't run perfectly.

Hoarders keep junk that doesn't work.

My name is Chris, and I have CAD.

I don't have TAS, but somehow I have managed to collect a large assortment of handtools. I started with my basic Craftsman tools, some MIC, & the usual stuff needed for home & yard maintenance. When my F&MIL downsized I received more tools, some Craftsman & some MIC, which included two cordless drills. My father passed away in June '09, & I inherited his sizeable collection of tools--Mac, Craftsman, some MIC, & some misc.

A member here, who left the site a few years back, sent a Black & Decker drill stand to me. It's very sturdy, and is clearly marked Made In The United States Of America. I never knew that B&D once made top-quality tools in the USA.

I just got that 441cm yesterday and I find myself browsing craigslist looking for good deals on.......ummmm....chainsaws. How do you explain this to your wife? How is this not a mental disorder? I mean how can this not be pathological?

It is curable. At one time I had more than 75 saws... about 25 of them ran. 80% of them were from the 60's and 70's. I had parts saws, restored saws, and wrok saws...

Almost all are gone... Now I have 6. All run but 2.

However... one disease was over come by another.

Building a Pro-Street Muscle Truck... way more expensive, and way more fun. For me anyways. :laugh:

So there is a "cure". It just depends on how deep your wallet is...

Gary

I just got that 441cm yesterday and I find myself browsing craigslist looking for good deals on.......ummmm....chainsaws. How do you explain this to your wife? How is this not a mental disorder? I mean how can this not be pathological?

I will tell you this.

I am single... so my money is my money. I can do what I want.

DO NOT start hoarding saws behind you partners back. It WILL bite you in the ass. They are just saws. Nothing to get divorced over.

Gary

It is curable. At one time I had more than 75 saws... about 25 of them ran. 80% of them were from the 60's and 70's. I had parts saws, restored saws, and wrok saws...

Almost all are gone... Now I have 6. All run but 2.

However... one disease was over come by another.

Building a Pro-Street Muscle Truck... way more expensive, and way more fun. For me anyways. :laugh:

So there is a "cure". It just depends on how deep your wallet is...

Gary

I did the Muscle Truck for years, This one I took to car & truck shows
I won a few trophy's with it.
1965 Dodge with a built 427 chevy engine in it. My home made intake manifold.
Has 2 1/2 ton axles from a 1960 International dump truck. two speed rear end.
Freightliner mufflers.:)

attachment.php

attachment.php

I also have CAD. I don't see it as a bad thing though. I was also bitten by the "Maple Bug". That one is a disease that it caused by inhaling the steam that rolls off of a pan of boiling maple sap. The maple bug can be caught at a very young age and lay dormant for years. I was just a toddler when I was first exposed to the boiling sap in my parents and grandparents sugar house.

The family sold off the farm and stopped making syrup when I was nine years old. I first showed signs of having the maple bug when I was a teenager. I borrowed some sap buckets, tapped some trees. I boiled the sap in an old wash tub on a cinder block arch. I made a gallon of some of the darkest syrup I have ever seen that year. The bug went back into dormancy and I went on to college and then on to work, marriage and raising a family.

About a dozen years ago I built a house on 69 acres of land that has been in the family since 1904. There happens to be a lot of maple trees on my property too. The bug came back out of dormancy and bit me hard. I started out with 28 taps and boiled the sap on a gas grill. I made 3.5 gallons of much nicer syrup that year. The following year I built a sugar house, bought a 2x6 evaporator and put out over 300 taps. It has now evolved into 750 taps, an RO machine and a vacuum pump to suck the sap out of the trees. Last year I made 275 gallons of syrup.

Compared to chainsaws and CAD the Maple Bug is much more labor intensive and expensive.

My name is Chris, and I have CAD.

I don't have TAS, but somehow I have managed to collect a large assortment of handtools. I started with my basic Craftsman tools, some MIC, & the usual stuff needed for home & yard maintenance. When my F&MIL downsized I received more tools, some Craftsman & some MIC, which included two cordless drills. My father passed away in June '09, & I inherited his sizeable collection of tools--Mac, Craftsman, some MIC, & some misc.

A member here, who left the site a few years back, sent a Black & Decker drill stand to me. It's very sturdy, and is clearly marked Made In The United States Of America. I never knew that B&D once made top-quality tools in the USA.

Hi Chris.

(I'm just helping to complete the joke.)

Does anyone know where I can find a local support group that offers a 12 step plan? Because I need help resisting the temptation to buy a Stihl 064 for $250. It needs a piston and a muffler.

Back