What is CAD and do I have it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why CAD stands for Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder and Not Chainsaw Addiction Disorder or Chainsaw Acquisition Disease.

First, most of us will admit to having a disorder. Why would hundreds of normal people spend their evenings reading and writing about things that make a lot of smoke, noise and mess and when utilized create a large amount of fatigue and muscle aches? It aint normal, thus the "disorder" aspect.

Why it's not a disease is because even though many are exposed, becoming a victim is somewhat voluntary. (at least at first)

Why acquisition and not addiction? Because you can be enthralled with chainsaws, read and write about them, even dream about them and then go on with your life. Once you start acquiring them is when the disorder tends to set in. I mean there are the three saw plans, the two saw plans, but how do you explain the 37 saw plan? At this point, the garage and shop are filled, the wife has "clarified" acceptable use of the dishwasher and what time is not spent on AS is used up surfing the web for parts to fix up all the broken saws, but wait, that seems like a pretty good price on that project saw, maybe I'll just throw in a low bid on that one...

Sure glad I have been able to resist the CAD thing so far. I mean, I haven't purchased a saw since..."what time is it?" over three hours ago!

Just because I am a sweetheart of a guy, I will offer my services as a CAD therapist.

Treatment is as follows:
You send me all of your saws except three. You may keep three. That is your limit.
Just go Cold Turkey. It's the only way. It's for the best.
It's a sacrifice on my part, but I am all about helping folks overcome this insidious disorder.
No need to thank me, your wellness is my reward.
Any saws acquired after sending me your collection will result in loss of said chainsaw to me, and a fine of one six pack of Stihl Ultra 2 gallon mix also payable to me.
Your road to recovery starts now.
You're welcome

It is curable. At one time I had more than 75 saws... about 25 of them ran. 80% of them were from the 60's and 70's. I had parts saws, restored saws, and wrok saws...

Almost all are gone... Now I have 6. All run but 2.

However... one disease was over come by another.

Building a Pro-Street Muscle Truck... way more expensive, and way more fun. For me anyways. :laugh:

So there is a "cure". It just depends on how deep your wallet is...

Gary

You know the damn rule Gary.

It never happened WITHOUT PICS!!!!!

I did the pro-street truck thing myself. It turned into a trailered race vehicle. :cry:

It was a cool project anyway. 1975 Chevy Luv. 355cid tubbed with a 9" Ford rear end.

Saws cured me of that disorder. :laugh:

I will tell you this.

I am single... so my money is my money. I can do what I want.

DO NOT start hoarding saws behind you partners back. It WILL bite you in the ass. They are just saws. Nothing to get divorced over.

Gary

Lol. Would never hoard behind the misses back. I don't think it would be a deal breaker for us, but would be foolish to jeopardize trust over a chainsaw. I still want to get a 4200 for a parts saw. Last 4200 parts saw I bought is now a runner so need a parts saw for it now.

You know the damn rule Gary.

It never happened WITHOUT PICS!!!!!

I did the pro-street truck thing myself. It turned into a trailered race vehicle. :cry:

It was a cool project anyway. 1975 Chevy Luv. 355cid tubbed with a 9" Ford rear end.

Saws cured me of that disorder. :laugh:

Here ya go!

'72 GMC with a 355 as well. 425 HP... damn fun to drive. :)

209961d1323033988-fun-run-2011-017-jpg

View attachment 209961

Gary

I have searched high and low for the definition of "CAD", but something tells me I might have it?

It occurred to me the other day when I used my lunch money to buy a MAC 10 (because of the perty yellow color) and a Poulan 42cc (because everything on it looked like a Husqvarna except for the color). And because neither one of them needed any work.

I waited until my wife spent a week with our daughter giving birth, and stayed home and rebuilt 4 carbs at the breakfast nook on thanksgiving day.....because I could get away with it. I confessed to her later though.

A pawn shop nearby just put out a bunch of 288xps and I have been obsessed with an offer on all of them they would take.

I only have 20 saws, so maybe mine is a hopefully mild case?

You have it can say for sure. Do I have it...NO!! I've been told I'm in denial. That's not true either.
CAD means "can't always decide" wife - more chainsaws, wife - more chainsaws, decisions decisions.:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm not like you guys, you don't know me

I have a milder case of the hot roditis:

2006 GTO LS2 M6 (wife's car) Lingenfelter 404 stroker, chip bigger fuel injecters, long tube headers, flow masters, crower cam 500 horses;

1990 Corvette: fresh 450 horse ZZ383, long tube header flowmasters;

1981 El Camino: Lingenfelter 427 small block, Weiand 6-71 blower, two Holley 850 Street Dominators, 500 NOS Cheater wet nitrous, Art Morrison rear subframe, narrowed Dana 60, ladder bars and full coil-overs, Mickey Thompson street slicks, Strange axles, Detroit Locker, Built TH400 with Hughes Flex Plate, B & M anti-deformation stall converter, 700 plus angry horse;

2006 GT Cruiser: Stage 2 performance, bigger injectors, chip, stainless steal exhaust, Corsa, bigger intercooler 300 horses;

I'm not like you guys, I only have the nitrous on half way on the El Camino. I don't drive around with a frosted-up blower housing like some addict.

Latest posts

Back