What is 'cold' weather for you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok I start a fire when the wife gets cranky usually highs 60,s I consider teens and below cold but I saw 40 below in Nebraska and Mi. I consider that temp brutally cold as in can't stay out in it long!

ok I start a fire when the wife gets cranky usually highs 60,s I consider teens and below cold but I saw 40 below in Nebraska and Mi. I consider that temp brutally cold as in can't stay out in it long!

:agree:

When exposed flesh freezes in a few minutes I think we can all agree that is cold. The -30 degF (without the windchill) I experienced in the midwest qualified as simply too cold. I refuse to accept that temperature.

:agree:

When exposed flesh freezes in a few minutes I think we can all agree that is cold. The -30 degF (without the windchill) I experienced in the midwest qualified as simply too cold. I refuse to accept that temperature.

Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it.;)

Cold is minus 30... Cold is Wisconsin nights in Jan. & Feb...

Snow is not far away.... as for below zero cold, might be a while yet...
One of the pictures is December 4th 2007..... and the other Christmas Eve 2007

Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it.;)
Nobody can do anything about it, but Al Gore sure likes to tell people that they can.

On second though Al Gore can change weather. Every time he has one of his global warming speeches they have record lows and snowfall there. ;)

When it's so cold my propane heater in my portable fish house won't work...that's cold!

People in MN must think alike.

No snow yesterday...what it looks like outside my office right now. I better start the owb tonight!

img074.jpg

"Cold Weather"

We lived for three years in North Dakota, where they have the fewest acres of forested land in the US and the smallest percentage of forested area. Cold there was less than 20 below zero. We enjoyed living there, but it is best referred to now as a great place to be from.

We now live in Northern California, and it seems people think below 32 degrees is cold. They wear gear for much colder climates and complain, but that is normal with all the left coast nut cases around here. I have fun running my chainsaw in the backyard in our city subdivision once in a while to irritate the neighbors.

western Ky

comfort 60 and above
shilly below 60
cold 40 and below
really cold 25 and less..
highest temp was 110f this year and 95 and higher for more than 90 days this year.
coldest temp -10f been awhile yrs.. anything in the singles digits things around here start breaking....
Always have high humidity.. with exception of this weekend of 17 %...

Fired my stove about a month ago for 2 days.. little fire.... Will Probably fire in the morning... cold front high 60 low 34 from here on out...and 70-80% humidity... Its the real killer...

I agree with Steve, must be the northern in us. I've been out plowing snow with the grader all day on a sunny but chilly 10F day and bibs and hooded sweatshirt do it. But take a rainy damp 50 and if i get chilled only one way to remove that....hot shower. Down to 34 tonight but back in the 50's during the day, haven't lit the stove yet...just been late getting home each night and gone at 5:30ish in the morning.

Weather i like is when i can be out working and not sweat my butt off, so anything above 40 with sun is almost too warm when really busting your butt. Love this time of year, when its cool out.

At 32 degrees my heat pump kicks off and my gas furnace kicks on I try to start a fire right before the furnace comes on. Any time it is 45 or above I just let the heat pump do the job as the wood will easily overheat my home even with just a small fire.

That -40 stuff is downright to cold you all can keep that stuff. Around here if it dips to -10 at night they pretty well shut the roads down and call it a state of emergency! LOL

Without a ice shack my cut off for ice fishing is about +10°f. When splitting wood by hand with a maul zero f is perfect temp. What I call really cold is when it hurts to breath, somewhere in the
-15°f / -20°f range.

It's cold when you step outside and everything inside your nose freezes. Right now the 30's with wind is cold. In a couple of months anything above 10 or 15 is warm and you're grateful for it. -15 is a find something inside to do kind of day. Above that is usually OK for ice fishing out of the ice shack.

Up here you have to be into ice fishing, skiing, snowmobiling, sledding, etc. Otherwise you'll be in a sanitarium come April.

Cold for me is when it hit's -40 be it -32 with a windchill of -40 that is just too cold to function. But anything colder than -20°C is still cold.
I start burning when the nights get to 5°C Somewhere in the 20s, Okay I cheat now the wife likes it warm lets say 40s And I am burning

Above 50F is mild. 10F is chilly. Below -20F is cold.

Not sure when I'd start a fire because I don't have a wood burner yet.

Back