What is in your 1st aid Kit?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is amazing how much stuff one can get in an old army ammo box. I will never forget one time we picked up a victim with a partial thickness burn (2nd degree) and applied burn gel on it. When we arrived at the ER and the doc seen the gel on the victim he said "Who put this crap on" and then looked right at me. The next thing he done was to get some soap and a plastic scrub brush and started to rub the burn to remove the goo from the victims arm. I never felt so bad in my life. It brought a great deal of pain to the person and was not a good situation. So be careful what is done out in the field it can and will affect on the treatment in the Emergency Room.

This came as a shock to me, I take 1st aid courses every couple of years and all of a sudden, its NFG. I call BS, I don't care if it kills cells, I have got infections from stuff impaled into my skin before. Whatever works, and it does. Once my sister in laws dog bit me, everyone was telling me to go to the doctor, it will get infected blah blah. I ran hot water in the sink and poured bleach right into the bite, hurt but worked. This new peroxide line is just total bunk, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Hey dude, just passing on the info...my instructor recertified at the big Red Cross confab in the States so...do what you want.

SRT, whats that, your burial kit!?:biggrinbounce2:

Hey dude, just passing on the info...my instructor recertified at the big Red Cross confab in the States so...do what you want.

Bermie, not dissin you, don't you think its a little funny though? I mean where people killed or disabled from h.p.? Like wtf?

Bermie, not dissin you, don't you think its a little funny though? I mean where people killed or disabled from h.p.? Like wtf?

It not NFG. It's fine really. But not necessary. Yes it kills bacteria, and it does kill a little tissue too. Like you said before, just clean it out well under lots of running clean water. Soap is good, and diluted bleach is good. Concentrated bleach is really not necessary again. The idea is really just to get the wound clean of dirt, oil, or whatever. You'll never kill all the bacteria, and you don't have to. If hp floats your boat than that is fine. It does foam up and look real cool.

Hp is superior for one thing. Cleaning dried blood. If you have a wound that has started to dry, lets just say the wound is an hour old and never got cleaned, then hp will be the best cleaner. There is a good chance that is how the practice started.

With a fresh wound, I personally would use lots of clean water and a mild dish soap.

With a deep puncture wound I would soak in warm bleachy water for an hour, and make sure your tetanus is up to date.

Last edited:
first aid

I always carry an an epi pen. Plus, of course, most of all the rest of the stuff mentioned in this thread.

Besides the gauze and bandages, I carry a lot of gloves, medical tape, abdominal trauma dressing for heavy bleeding, Small saran wrap for occlusive dressings, baggies for amputated digits/trash, baby wipes, a whistle, and finally REALLY GOOD SOAP form the pharmacy. It should be a good surgical medical soap available OTC with 2% Chlorhexedine Gluconate. Try to make sure you use clean water. If it's from a lake or standing water, DON'T BOTHER, and you are better off waiting for clean water. The number of long term admissions for lake accidents from waterbourne bacteria invading wounds is staggering and not discussed enough.

Good point re: "beaver fever" water... :cheers:

Q: How do you pack Saran Wrap. I tried once and the only time the @!#$! stuff sticks to itself is when you don't want it to... ;)

Oh yeah, pics. Yes. Checking out someone else, ahem, package? Sure... <chuckle> :laugh: :laugh:

A Hack Saw

I sawed the roll of Saran Wrap in half. That way it fits. Someone mentioned Krazy Glue, great choice, I forgot to put it in there myself, I think I will put some cotton balls there too, in a baggie with the glue. I saw an old guitarist that I was treating once who had a reinforced thumbnail that he used Krazy Glue and cotton balls to make his own fingernail fiberglass, and I used it once myself after I saw it. I split my nail open on a table saw, it worked like a charm, so good call...

Jason

Pics this weekend from the woods

I will post a pic or two from the woods, but I am at the hospital right now until the AM.

JAson

medics

Glad to see there are some other medics here carded or not! The only thing I have is saline flush and sterile water to flush out eyes if you get anything in them you can't get out. And vasine to get the red out, but watch it it will burn after digging something out.

I sawed the roll of Saran Wrap in half. That way it fits. Someone mentioned Krazy Glue, great choice, I forgot to put it in there myself, I think I will put some cotton balls there too, in a baggie with the glue. I saw an old guitarist that I was treating once who had a reinforced thumbnail that he used Krazy Glue and cotton balls to make his own fingernail fiberglass, and I used it once myself after I saw it. I split my nail open on a table saw, it worked like a charm, so good call...

Jason

Crazy glue makes nails really brittle. Learned that when I had on old girlfriend who loved the fake nails.

I absolutely make sure that I carry the first aid kit with me as there are every chances of encountering an accident in this profession. What is even worse I have been unfortunate to witness some of the bad mishaps and the condition to deteriorate quickly, which could have been prevented if the first aid box was there at their disposal.

well, yea.... :yoyo: sometimes the poor sap is just too injured or in great pain......put them out their misery my ol grandpappy used to say.........

or was that animals?

:laugh:

Back