What is it and is it any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NDtreehugger

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I see this stuff from time to time and have passed it up, today
I found a big trunk and thought I would give it a try, I just don’t know what it is.

It has purple leaves somewhat of purple bark and grows black globs of fungus on the branches.

whatisit1.jpg

I have burned it before (I think) and from what I remember it was not the best. Still burned though so I would take it again. My guess is it is some kind of cherry.

NDtreehugger,

You got it purple leaf plum.
Wood from the purple leaf isn't quite as good as regular plum wood, but it's still very good btu and cooking wood.

It's shocking what you find at the dump In the way of wood.
I was dumping a few truck loads of debris one day and right near my dump location was around 10 cords of log format all about 6' long rounds of shagbark.
Each time I dumped debris I returned with a truck full of shagbark logs, turned into an all day adventure and when I ran out of debris to dump I kept going and collecting.
Sort of lost interest in the ash I was cutting though LOL
Waited for another day to remove that wood.

Last edited:
NDtreehugger,

You got it purple leaf plum.
Wood from the purple leaf isn't quite as good as regular plum wood, but it's still very good btu and cooking wood.

It's shocking what you find at the dump In the way of wood.
I was dumping a few truck loads of debris one day and right near my dump location was around 10 cords of log format all about 6' long rounds of shagbark.
Each time I dumped debris I returned with a truck full of shagbark logs, turned into an all day adventure and when I ran out of debris to dump I kept going and collecting.
Sort of lost interest in the ash I was cutting though LOL
Waited for another day to remove that wood.

prior to starting to burn wood,,who give a rip about dead,,or alive trees??? NOW, as you said,,i hate to see any hardwood at all burned in a brush pile..softwoods,,who cares???:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

olyman,

Yeah what a crazy thing to find at the dump.
I'm guessing a tree service chopped them up into parts they could just move and off to the dump.
Nearly 3 years of home warming fires from that dump score and sweet part is the truck was going back empty so it was really free just some brute effort to manhandle them onto the truck.
2nd trip was with lift cart so really not much effort after trip 1.
After the 5th trip I had seen enough hickory for a day though LOL

I always see crazy piles of wood at the dump.
Ash ash and more ash is the theme lately.
Dito for me hate seeing something useful sitting in a pile at the dump, all that free heat wasting away is sad.
Here they don't even burn it at the dump, it just gets bulldozed into the ground at some point.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back