What is it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbarney

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just removed a poplar tree that was dying , ( by the way thanks for the advice) It had a hollow spot in the center of the trunk, the size of a golf ball and about 10 ft. long what causes this.

Center of the trunk, ten feet long sounds like heart rot to me. It might have just been time for the tree to go. Of course it is just as likely that I haven't got a clue as to what I'm talking about.

If it is a true poplar tree, they dont live that long and usaully die from some disease at an early age 20 to 30 years or so depending on which poplar it is . hollow center of trunk could be natural or caused by a number of things .

Last edited:
Poplars are short-lived and last for about 60 years in Wisconsin. Around then, they do develop decay in the center of the tree in nearly all cases. The wood is not resistant to decay.

Also, poplars (Populus) are prone to cankers and commonly fail due to them - cracking off at that point or decaying severely because of the infection.

Nickrosis

Back