What is required by your go to saw to remain the one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Al

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Having an old farts chinwag the other day in an attempt to ward off the brain fade & the topic of what does your saw have to do/have to be #1each came up with what he considered it must have /do came my turn & my must haves were
1,Only requires to be big enough to cope with the size of wood being cut
2, light as possible
3, must start on not more than 3 pulls (cold) 2 (hot)
4,Av "s don't give you "tingle fingers"
5, Adjustable oiler
6,Doesn't have to be a big 2 make/model prefer mag but not adversed to some "placcy" bits
7, available spares at not Telephone Directory prices
8; Prefer used not abused let some one else have the deprecation
There will probably be hoots of hysterical laughter when I say my most of my cutting is done with a VAP 44F badged Oleo Mac 244F with 14/16 "bars & Stihl 3/8ths PS & PM lo pro chains When you've done choking yourselves with mirth add what is important to you to class what your saw needs to be #1 answers will keep the farts discussion going for another couple of weeks :blob2::blob2: Paid €5 for it cost €3 extra to get it up a running

It has to start cold or hot in 2 or 3 pulls It has to get decent fuel mileage so it can finish the “go to” task on a tank or twoIt has to feel good in my hands and be smooth with good antivibe and adequate power For me this is a Dolmar 420I have other good saws but most of my tasks are light so the little Dolmar suffices My favourite saws to run are my Jonny 590’s Balance power handling above reproach with just a few vibes to make it real

The saw of mine that fits that description would have to be my Echo CS-520. I run it with a 16" bar with 0.325" chain. This saw is hardly noticeably heavier than my CS-400, but has noticeably more power.

Half of my chainsaw use is clearing atv/dirt bike trails so the saw needs to fit in the atvs box(most 50cc saws with 16 inch bars will), be able to cut a large tree if need be and start easily as you end up starting the saw a lot doing this.
Im running Chinese 5200 and 6150 saws right now, they start and run great but aren't super fast but speed's a non issue for my use.

Time. If it saves me time, it is number one. Life is too short to run old junk. Current goto saw is the Husqvarna 562xp followed by the 550xp.
Who said anything about old junk so you would rather be less comfortable running a saw for an hour than being comfortable with a saw for an hour & a quarter + the saws you run I service them for a commercial company we have a total of 18/20 running saws that I care for to keep our Fallers going having been involved with maintenance /servicing saws since 1956 I am of the opinion that the latest kit is not always best

What the heck is a Euro? Do they still make them?
A euro is an amount of cash at the moment I get a dollar 30 of your money for 1 euro & yep they are still printing & minting
:blob2:

Define go-to...the saw I would chose for a day of cutting would be my 550XP followed by my 346. If I am going to cut one tree or head to town after a bad wind storm I normally grab one of my Poulans as I do not care if it bounces around the truck and the chance of it being stolen is small. Otherwise I am putting the Husky in the truck cab everytime I stop.

A euro is an amount of cash at the moment I get a dollar 30 of your money for 1 euro & yep they are still printing & minting
:blob2:

Oh, I thought it was a car. Mabey I was thinking of the Yugo. That’s a bummer on the currency. One of my favorite coins is the 20 franc rooster. I usually can get them for around $250 cash, depending on condition, when I can find them. Gold has been down a bit as of late.

https://www.apmex.com/product/63982/1899-1914-france-gold-20-francs-rooster-bu

Oh, I thought it was a car. Mabey I was thinking of the Yugo. That’s a bummer on the currency. One of my favorite coins is the 20 franc rooster. I usually can get them for around $250 cash, depending on condition, when I can find them. Gold has been down a bit as of late.

https://www.apmex.com/product/63982/1899-1914-france-gold-20-francs-rooster-bu
Typical of the French the Euro has been the legal currency since 2000 when you get a facture (bill) right at the bottom after TVA(tax) content there is a conversion from euro's to Francs it stands at although Francs are no longer legal tender 6.55 Francs to the Euro

My go-to is my CS-490. Not too heavy, good power, good MPG.

If it's an application where the saw has a high probability of getting destroyed, I will grab the PP3516. That one is the beater. If it gets destroyed, it gets destroyed.

Both are equally reliable and run equally well (ignore the obvious power difference).

Typical of the French the Euro has been the legal currency since 2000 when you get a facture (bill) right at the bottom after TVA(tax) content there is a conversion from euro's to Francs it stands at although Francs are no longer legal tender 6.55 Francs to the Euro

Your country has always minted nice coins. I have been looking for one of these for a while but cant find anything local.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/France-1993-Venus-De-Milo-100-Francs-PCGS-SP68-Essai-Silver-Coin-Matte-Rare/382379407880?hash=item590796ba08:g:UHYAAOSwzaJX3TtA

I do not see how #8 relates to the title here.

You got start easy and vibration but the following seem missing that could come available to bump the current go to saw loose that spot.

a) sound be it nicer sound or less or perhaps even more
b) clog ease of the chips coming off the bottom of the chain
c) placement of the chain adjuster, where the mechanism actually is, and how powerful it is depending on what you have probably room for improvement here
d) the bucking spike or ability to remove it and still use might have room for improvement over current.

What one is going to do is variable. If it makes a bunch of gasoline vapors or drips bar oil would effect favorability not sure about the go to factor.

I actually use all my saws of various CC's.

BUT at my age, my Echo CS490 is the one I most often grab.....if it's to big for the 490 with an 18"bar, it's to big for my back.

My ported 590 would be my go to. If I don't know what i might run into I'll deal with a little more weight to have a lot more power then the 490. For firewood the 490 with a 16 gets grabbed most of the time.

Time. If it saves me time, it is number one. Life is too short to run old junk. Current goto saw is the Husqvarna 562xp followed by the 550xp.

What the heck is a Euro? Do they still make them?
:numberone:+1 on that 562.

Back