What is "strato-charged"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oharatree

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I hear references to some of the new stihls and upcoming huskies being stratocharged....what does that mean? How does that affect performance both in the positive and negative? Help me out guys.

Chris

Lake had a good explaination on how works. Check out the Stihl website and look at the 441. The Strats don't take to mods well but consume less fuel and burn cleaner. The 441 has been a real nice saw.....

Go to Redmax's site, they have it all down pat....

They can keep it down pat too................

Or not................ I don't want to piss off "AAAAAnnnnnddddddddyyyyyy"

I guess theres allot of posts about it already, I looked at them briefly a while back. Appearantly husky already does it ( I think I have one, My 455) for stock performance it's fine, if you want to port and modify it's not good. From what I have read it's a different port/transfer port configuration where during the intake stroke theres actually a delay in the induction cycle that stops the full intake charge from entering the cylinder, A fuel saver I guess, but probably more an epa issue just because with less fuel there would be less oil to burn. I Like the way my 455 runs, but it will never compete with my ported 55.

I guess theres allot of posts about it already, I looked at them briefly a while back. Appearantly husky already does it ( I think I have one, My 455) for stock performance it's fine, if you want to port and modify it's not good. From what I have read it's a different port/transfer port configuration where during the intake stroke theres actually a delay in the induction cycle that stops the full intake charge from entering the cylinder, A fuel saver I guess, but probably more an epa issue just because with less fuel there would be less oil to burn. I Like the way my 455 runs, but it will never compete with my ported 55.

Your 455, if a newer version, is a "X-Torq" saw, which I believe is a selling gimmick. The 575 and 576 are the latest strats from husky. Just a fyi, not being a dic*:cheers:

Your 455, if a newer version, is a "X-Torq" saw, which I believe is a selling gimmick. The 575 and 576 are the latest strats from husky. Just a fyi, not being a dic*:cheers:

I don't think your a dic*, I thought that when I read about the strato's that someone said the 455 was one, if it's not, we'll I'm even happier cause now I have a prayer of upping the performance, Thanks for you Knowledge, oh, wtf is X torq?????

I don't think your a dic*, I thought that when I read about the strato's that someone said the 455 was one, if it's not, we'll I'm even happier cause now I have a prayer of upping the performance, Thanks for you Knowledge, oh, wtf is X torq?????

I'm not sure on the x-torq. Here is some info from Amicks:http://www.amickssuperstore.com/Husqvarna_455_Rancher_Chainsaw_p/husqvarna 455 rancher.htm

I would just give the 455 a muffler mod and let it be. Your 55 will respond to porting better, as you have found out. Save some $$$ and get a ported 346 for a screamer, pretty close to your 55 though, might want to consider a 372 or see how this new 576 runs/holds up. Modded saws are the worse/most expensive part of CAD.:dizzy:

I'm not sure on the x-torq. Here is some info from Amicks:http://www.amickssuperstore.com/Husqvarna_455_Rancher_Chainsaw_p/husqvarna 455 rancher.htm

I would just give the 455 a muffler mod and let it be. Your 55 will respond to porting better, as you have found out. Save some $$$ and get a ported 346 for a screamer, pretty close to your 55 though, might want to consider a 372 or see how this new 576 runs/holds up. Modded saws are the worse/most expensive part of CAD.:dizzy:

Well you must be part Psycic cause you totally guessed my next 2 saws. I bought the 55 rancher (on a co workers advice) not knowing it wasn't a great saw, I bought the 455 in a pinch when the 55 locked up in the middle of a tree that was leaning toward my house. I didn't know the difference the pro saws would make, until recently I bought a pro model husky weed trimmer, that Lil 25cc trimmer will wax the azz off my 30+cc trimmers, so now I have to get the pro model saws to match...

Is this anything to do with stratified charge fuelling? Mitsubishi used this on their GDI (gasoline direct injection) engines, it involves a sweet induction setup that leaves a nice rich mixture around the sparkplug and leaner mix or air in the rest of the cylinder for greater thermal efficiency and better economy. Hard to see how they'd do this with no cams and a pumper carb.

Is this anything to do with stratified charge fuelling? Mitsubishi used this on their GDI (gasoline direct injection) engines, it involves a sweet induction setup that leaves a nice rich mixture around the sparkplug and leaner mix or air in the rest of the cylinder for greater thermal efficiency and better economy. Hard to see how they'd do this with no cams and a pumper carb.

My Dolmar 260 trimmer has a strato charged Mitsubishi motor on it and I know that some don't seem to like the strato charge concept but evidently Mitsu has it down pat. It's a sweet running little motor, has excellent acceleration, excellent torque and is phenomenal on fuel.....Not to mention it runs as smooth as a Swiss watch......Did I mention it's sweet.......:heart: :rock:

Last edited:
Yelling "AAAnnndddyyyy!!!!!" in my Aunt Bee voice nets me a lot of phone numbers................ A few AS members......................................

Actually, Arborists call me "Teddy Bear" too, I am unsure why...............

You know the Corona/Wine cooler types...........

BTW, when are you sending her back?????? Hopefully you'll return her only slightly damaged, and toting a couple of new ms290s...

And I want the screnches too!!!! Keep the warranty cards..........

Patience my fuzzy friend... my reputation is at stake. I can't return defective merchandise... and it's taking longer than I thought to get a good hone.... I keep measuring, but I can't quite get it right. If you have any pointers, I'm all ears.

Oh, just in case you were worried, there will be no charge, but unless you want her to get a ride with a trucker, send a ticket.

Last edited:
Back