What Is The Definition Of A "PRO" Saw??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simple. A pro saw is a saw that is marketed primarily to professional users. Has nothing to do with the saw itself.

You sir, have been on fire lately.

Any manufacturer can call any saw they want to a "Pro" saw but a responsible manufacturer will limit its designation to one that will hold up in the hands of commercial users or at least have a fighting chance that a high percentage of the "Pro" rated saws lasting the length of the warranty offered on those saws. Another reason that some saws are listed or sold as "Professional saws" is to help limit a manufacturers liability to the general untrained, unqualified and often negligent public.

As much as the people on this site want to believe that modular engines are not "Pro" engines that is not the case and has never been the case. In terms of the future of the chainsaw it will most likely be dominated by modular engine models in the near future as they are cost effective to manufacture, maintain and limit design bypasses easier.

I think what makes a pro saw is the operator. end of story. any saw can be used day in and day out if maintained well. I have seen more cheap "non-pro" saws last longer than many "pro-saws".
and as far as stihl being the only answer to this question. Only if you really enjoy cleaning air filters. I spent many ours in the woods with an 066 in my teenage years working for my uncles mill and the only thing I didn't like about all the stihl he had was the air filter issue.where as the 372xp that i used when I worked for the big orange company would cut wood all day and barly have a few specs of dust in the filter. so if a brand name is to be the answer to this question then I would say that it is husqvarna.

To me the term "Pro saw" denotes a saw that by design, is stronger and of higher quality components. A saw that is made up of "sub groups" of parts that can easily be replaced when worn out or broken to return the unit to service.
That, versus the saw built as a unit, designed to be used for a particular service life, or destroyed, and replaced as an entire unit instead replacing a component.

In summary a "rebuildable" unit versus a "throwaway" unit.

Mike

Now THAT was good!! Excellent answer!! :cheers:

:greenchainsaw:

I'd wager that most high saw usage professionals do not rebuild their saws, but instead buy new ones. The saw is, after all, one of the cheapest pieces of power equipment, but can hold up the job as much as anything.

Judging from a couple of high end pro saws Ive rescued from the junk heap & needed less than $100 each to become well-running machines again - I would say you are absolutely correct.

I ran alot of 034 Stihls back in my younger days. They would flip flop between pro saw and homeowner in the ads of the day. I asked dealer what was going on. His answer was that when stock got high it was called a home owner saw. Price would drop $150. When stock got low it became a pro saw again and price went back up. I got smart and only bought the "homeowner" 034s.

You could say that a pro saw is one that is preferred by the pros.
Or you could say they're the re-buildable ones.
Or you could say they're the ones with the highest hour ratings.
Or you could say that they're the ones that cost the most.
Or that they're the ones that can take more regular punishment.
I like to think that they're the saws that fit all these criteria;
and are still in service or can be made fit for use a decade or two later.
-br

A pro saw is a saw you can buy new then thrash the living hell out of with the minimum of maintenance without fear of breakdowns or having niggly little cheap compromised components crapping out on ya.

A genuine pro saw has big grunt combined with solid reliability, the work-horse stihls 026 036 044 066 are examples of what a pro saw is all about. No fancy B.S. they just do everything that needs doing on the job.

When parts inevitably wear out you can just re-build em' and carry on for years more as normal. If a saw doesn't have the top power to weight in it's cc class, then it's not a genuine pro saw.

Eg.. the pseudo 'pro' echos, just too bloody anemic and overweight to come even close to qualifying. Same too the usual common plasticy home owner saws that are always cheaper than the equivalent cc top-of-the-line models.

Wimpy bearings, stamped conrods, inferior crankcases, cranks, pistons and cylinders that won't handle a full hard-out hammering for month after month without something losing the plot and dying on you.

Also 90% or so of pro users aren't actually chainsaw mechanics, most don't know stuff all about the intricate workings of their saws. Rather than rebuild, most find it easier and less hassle all-round to just flick off the tired saw and buy a whole new one. Doesn't take long for a good saw to pay for itself

Latest posts

Back