What Is This

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm cleaning out the garage and moving all tree gear out to the shed. I found a couple old broken pole saws and was wondering if any one knows what this little springy thing is that's on the bottom of the saw head. The spring that is covering the hole through the head. I know, and have used it many, many times. Sorry no prize for getting it right. I figure that unless your old enough to have run splinters from the old fir poles through your hands you really don't know what it's for, Joe.
002-16.jpg

My first thought was- I thought this guy does tree work when I saw the first part of the question and the picture:msp_biggrin:

Got it. I was looking to see if I could find one of the old pots with the brush in the lid. For those that have never seen one, they look kinda like a heavy duty oil can with a pointed spout. The handle of the brush went up in the spout, and was just about the size of the hole in the head. We used to have to paint all wounds and cuts over 1 inch in diameter. We would hang the pot on a clip on our handsaw scabbard. That kept it out of the way and far enough down your leg that you were not constantly bumping into it with bare wrists and forearms. One of my jobs as a kid was to wash the outside of the pots with gasoline trying to keep the mess down. We used TreeKote and it was nothing like the paint in rattle cans. We used a putty knife to fill the little pots from one gallon cans.

Way to go "flushcut", Joe.

You know, I knew what it was too....my teacher was oldschool and explained why my pole saw head was like that as well....said he used to bust the can because he hated painting the wounds.... his old GF used to get pissed!

Good thing we found out that stuff was bad for the tree......I would hate painting those cuts as well....

I have a spot on my handsaw scabbard that has a hook for the little can.

I love my Fanno 13

That pruner head looks like a Marvin.

Thank you! I am pretty sure you can still order those heads through A.M. Leonard maybe for herbicide app. or touching up your gutters without a ladder. :hmm3grin2orange:

well there you go!

i was going to say, they look like "old school" tweezers.

for picking the frickin splinters out of ya hands after using that dinosaur.
:)

cheers mate

simmo

It is a paint brush holder for painting a fresh cut with tree coat.

Ta kool thanks when Asplund came out to OZ in 95/96 they brought a heaps of those pole saw heads. I never quite knew what the hole in spring was for.
The heads prove handy as a hook for bucket work pulling clear cut limbs the saw blade never quite worked well as was set @ wrong angle so cut poorly.

While cleaning up I threw away a couple old pole saw blades that were a little over 2 feet long. When the small blades came out we couldn't believe some one would use them, now looking back I can't believe we used those giant ones. When I was a kid small chainsaws for climbing weren't around yet, at least we didn't have any. I remember all of our climbers would make cuts 10" and often bigger with hand saws, and I have made cuts that big myself with the big old pole saws a few times. I also remember tying our old Disston DA211 on my Dad's climbing line so he could chunk down big trees in tight back yards in the DC area. By the time the early 70's came around, and I was actually working for Dad, our Homelite 1050's were considered great light weight saws for chunking big wood because you could hang one from your belt. I didn't call it a little saw, but it would hang from your belt OK. Here's a pic of my Dad's hand saw from the 70's with the snap on the scabbard, and another pic of some of our old saws I still have, Joe.
001-24.jpg

098.jpg

The big hand saw at the bottom of the pic was the saw Dad used before he got the small one in the scabbard, it had a leather thong to clip it to his belt. This last pic is me using one of the old 1050's milling Pine planks on my farm last year. I call his 2 old 1050's million dollar saws, because in their 20 plus years of commercial use I know they made him at least that much, Joe.
010-5.jpg

Last edited:
Is that an old 'rustang' I see in the shop ? Nice CSM you got there. I like the old saws as well myself.

On your origional post...... was going to guess it held a cigarette in place for passing up to the climber.

Is that an old 'rustang' I see in the shop ? Nice CSM you got there. I like the old saws as well myself.

On your origional post...... was going to guess it held a cigarette in place for passing up to the climber.

That would have been a good guess,I think all climbers smoked back then.

Sorry, I'm Mopar through and through. It's a 68 Formula S Barracuda convertible, Joe.

Latest posts

Back