What is your favourite brand of round files?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Save Edge is my new favorite. I used to use whatever files the Stihl dealer sold, but I think the Save Edges sharpen a little easier and last a little longer. Not a huge difference, but it seems noticeable to me.

for the price and finish you can't beat baileys house brand.Not sure who makes it.
If you want to remove metal fast save edge is great.

I have to agree. I was looking for some new files and tried the save edge files. I'm sold on them. They do alot better then the stihl files. If I had to then my second choice is the stihl files. The husqvarna files loose there edge way too soon. Try the save edge. The link to there web site is the 8'th sponsor link over from the left above this post. Make sure to get more then one incase you loose your first one.

If you order direct from Save Edge you have a minimum order of 12 files (1 box). Others who stock them, like Bailey's, I think sell them individually.

I like Save Edge alot. I used to use Stihl, but those things are pricy. I heard good things of Chrome Cut files and am giving those a try, so far I like those alot, but the verdict isnt out yet if I like them better than Save Edge yet.

A farm store chain near me used to sell some Swedish steel files marked Sandvik, and I think they were from Sweden. They were wondeful, but nobody imports them anymore.

Now they have Nicholson (very spendy, and not as good) and Oregon (don't hold up very long). I'm going to order some Bailey's files when my stock gets low.

Thanks, AS!

Got some on the bay called ''timber savage''. They work well and the price was right. I find the stihl chain, however, is just a little too hard for them.
So I use a stihl file on stihl chain, and the cheap ones on the oregon.

Gotta get some save edge and try them though.
Tried oregon, didn't last very long.

Pferd, end of thread.

THE BEST, PERIOD.

Love my Pferd filing guide, but the file that came with it, while it worked well and fast, loaded up with filings in a hurry and needed a lot of cleaning. I've got a Stihl file in there now, but got some Save Edges coming to try out.

Oregon files don't cut near as well or last as long as the Stihl files in my experience. I only use them in a pinch.

almost never use files anymore... really like Stihl files and keep a few around for backups

Save Edge are my favorite for sure right now.

Please note:
Stihl, Oregon, recent husky, Bailey's Woodland Pro, and at least some sizes of the timber savage are all the same. They are all made by vallorbe. It seems to me that they are basically the only swiss file maker putting out files. They are a big private labeler.

The Pferd files load up way to fast. First whole dozen of files I got were pferd; they're really only good for a few sharpenings and then they are loaded up. Maybe if you tap them out...

Vallorbe actually designs their files to not trap material.

Save Edge are my favorite for sure right now.

Please note:
Stihl, Oregon, recent husky, Bailey's Woodland Pro, and at least some sizes of the timber savage are all the same. They are all made by vallorbe. It seems to me that they are basically the only swiss file maker putting out files. They are a big private labeler.

The Pferd files load up way to fast. First whole dozen of files I got were pferd; they're really only good for a few sharpenings and then they are loaded up. Maybe if you tap them out...

Vallorbe actually designs their files to not trap material.

Beat me to it Mike :cheers:

You're exactly right - it makes me laugh when guys say "I love Stihl files, they're the best ever!!!" when they are actually the same as half a dozen other brands (typical Stihlites ;) ). I've heard the same thing in Australia with bars when the Stihl bars were just repainted and relabelled GB Pro Tops :D
I'm with you on the Pferd, I bought half a dozen and didn't like them one little bit.
I got Brad Snelling to send me 6 dozen Save Edge 7/32" files and I'll be honest I have now found a new favourite file. These things are excellent - they cut well, clear and clean well, and they wear excellent. The only files I've ever used that have been this good were some very old Stihl 7/32" files that I was given by an old guy probably dating back to the 70's. These were every bit as good as the Save Edge but all used up now :(

I would love to try the save edge files. Except, they don't sell them on their website...THEN WHERE DO I GET ONE?! I Looked at the pferd site too, and again...can't order a box online. What gives?

Back