What is your mechanical history and aptitude?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was 10 when my dad was killed changing a tire on an older loader. He owned his own business so as a kid I worshiped him and watched him do things. I started off with changing oil on the lawn mower and helping changing tracks. Then 9 years later I got phone calls from most of the family to work on something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of it has to do with what your gene pool looks like. Both my grandfathers were military mechanics. Pops can build an entire house with his own hands and a couple simple hand tools. Naturally I followed suit. Always taking things apart to learn what's going on inside. Became an engineer and took my fore-fathers to the next level. Now I work on everything they could do, plus some really cutting-edge stuff for our Army. Evolution I suppose. Each generation getting one step further than the prior.

Not too sure about the gene pool, I'm a bit Aspergers, which gives me tremendous focus and persistence, but a lot of social awkwardness, (not a curse, but a blessing, thank you God!) I was the boy in the corner with his nose in a technical manual at school, I'm still the quiet guy in the corner, Googling Poulan 3400 oilers or working on a backlit display case, or .... I'm 60 now, and there's nothing more satisfying than learning new stuff, be it computers, macros in spreadsheets, small two strokes, or making instrument air systems (I've designed (successfully, and that's important)a simplified regenerative drier) I trained as a marine engineer, a wonderful job that suited me well, a typical deep sea ships engine would be a two stroke with 1.8 metre stroke, 0.9 metre bore, and flat out at 135 RPM, yes really. If it breaks 1000 miles from anywhere, you gotta fix it.... I'm an instrument engineer now, a mix of pneumatics, electronics and chemistry (try gas phase titration). There's nothing better than going out and doing some 'real work' with a farming friend after a week touring Ireland fixing instruments, I love the companionable bit where you're too busy, or it's too noisy to talk, just getting on with things. I'm like an old 6' 3" geek.

I never really had the chance to get into engines when I was a kid. It all started at age 48 when I got a wood stove plus various tools on a self-imposed tight budget, making my first chainsaw the cheapest home center grade saw I could get. Soon I realized I needed something better and got myself a Stihl 020 AV (not running). I got that one running and got something bigger (041 AV), got that running, and then there was an endless stream of saws...
In the beginning I had no access to service manuals so I made sure I understood the function of each part before removing it - that helps a lot when putting things back together. I prefer the older and simpler saws, got around 400 runners on shelves and littering the floor, no room for new stuff at the moment.

I've always been amazed by the people with a mechanical aptitude, especially those who seem to fix just about anything.
I struggle with the most basic things. I've torn a few saws apart but so far my experience as far as repairs islimited to carb rebuilds and fuel line replacements
I would find it interesting to hear about your mechanical abilities and also whether this was something you were exposed to growing up or was learned later as a necessity to financial survival.

Don't be afraid to brag a bit as even though I might not understand it all I still find it interesting.

I'd call myself a tinkerer. I have done some drag/street racing and built an engine, restored some Vespas, built modified and raced electric rc cars, built jeeps and wheeled them, and other things. Only professional work I have done bending wrenches was building custom home gym setups and servicing the equipment. It's all stuff I have taught myself over the years. Dad would do wood working, but was never much for working on cars. My grandfather would mess with any powered device that happened to come along. I have made parts for things, adapted parts for things, and broken as much as I have fixed.

I was shocked to find it. Well, not really, I did seem to know what was inside most things that I shouldn't as soon as I could figure out how to use my fingers.
But I was brought up by my mummy, no pops around and only professors, like mum, around.
By the time I was on my own, silly kid running into the hills, like a salmon might find it's stream of birth, I hadn't much choice but to figure out everything.
Running saws and having to fix my own trucks, because I was to cheap & dumb to pay the right guy to do it.

Biggest thing for me was to not let myself think a thing was too difficult. Not allow myself to be intimidated.
Which also tends to the dingbat in me, I'd tear into something and then realize if I didn't get it back together, I was on top of a mountain and it was a long walk out.

Although I'm a young grasshopper, I know what I know from old Farmall tractors. When I was 11 I got my grandpa's old model A. My dad made me know that thing inside and out. complete engine/trans overhaul, and all new gaskets and seals. There's not a bolt on that tractor that hasn't been taken off. Going into that project I knew nothing. Coming out of it 3 years later i know a lot more. It's a good teaching tool because it's the basics, no sensors, electronics, etc. I plan on restoring a 1991 F-250 XLT Lariat 4x4 7.3 IDI 5-speed that my dad bought brand new in 91'. I feel confident now that I could rebuild that motor, thanks to my dad.

Cool thread, I missed it earlier.

My story is similar to many, a family of farmers and "engineers", although in rural Audtralia that means a shop that can weld, mill, turn, blacksmith, design, repair and nobody has any qualifications to do anything.
My father had his own business and was always too busy to help when I was ready for him to help me fix something, so I taught myself what I could from a young age. Access to shed space and tools was always available.
As I grew up, all I wanted to do was be a fitter and turner or a mechanic, but I got good grades at school and went to university to study mechanical engineering. Felt like I didn't fit in, was too young to realise that's a good thing and dropped out about half way through.
Went through various jobs In the wine industry, had a knack at making machinery work in vineyards, running bottling and packaging plants, etc.
Basically, if it was made of metal, I "got it".
Now I'm back working with my father as he semi retires, and fixing and building equipment to keep a small weed spraying business running. Watching him spend time with my son, showing him the ropes is cool. He's 14 now and can run the mill, lathe, guillotine, folder, plasma cutter, welders, etc better than me! He was driving anything with wheels or tracks before he was 10. He's got no hope, he's one of us. He's hassling me to teach him to fell big timber.....

Electrical, electronic, carpentry projects still leave me bamboozled.

My dad was an autoparts salesman so I was known by every mechanic around when I was a kid, many years ago. I was a machinist/tool maker/model maker that ended my career as head of experimental fabrication for the Army Research Labs weapons and materials directorate. Made things that go BOOM!

I am 60. My grandfather owned an auto and farm implement repair shop during the depression and several years afterward. Things were fixed because there wasn't an option. No one could afford new and in some cases, new items didn't exist because they were not being produced. I hung around the shop a lot as a kid and got the jobs no one else wanted but now as I reflect, those jobs were character builders. I was constantly eamazed at my grandfathers ability to repair anything but his uncanny knack to make repairs as cheaply as possible. Broken parts were braised with torch and brass rod...not replaced with new parts. The parts department was whatever you dug out of the junk pile or robbed from a junk car behind the shop. My dad decided he didn't want the shop and pursued a successful career in law enforcement but that old repair shop had a profound affect on both of us. My dad is still alive at 85 and doing well. I had the honor of putting a carb kit in his 026 last week.

Both my grandfather and uncle were aircraft mechanics in the military, so I tend to get my abilities from my mother's side of the family. I have always been fascinated by the mechanics of working objects, so I went to American Marine Institute in Daytona Beach FL. and recieved my certification. Upon completing the course, I had 800 hours (combined classroom and hands on). I had 200 hours in each of the following: inboard, outboard, sterndrive and diesel. I worked in the marine industry for about 4 years and switched careers. Now I am just a weekend warrior. I help out in the shop at work from time to time since I work for the WV. DOH. I have rebuilt both four stroke and two stroke enigines large and small and I like the challenges they present.

OK, I will bite. I am a new guy to this site but thought I would share since I have enjoyed reading this thread.
I grew up in IA on a farm just south of Waterloo. I was fortunate to have worked on farm equipment, motorcycles, snowmobiles and auto's.
After HS went to tech school and got my A&P, moved to Ohio and went to work for Rockwell Intl. on the B1B program.
After completion of the bomber project I went to work for Northwest Airlines for 20 years, and luckily worked on every A/C we had in the fleet.
Closing of our maintenance base in Kansas City gave me the choice of moving or finding another career to get me to retirement, therefore
I chose to remain in the field of moving people, but instead of a tube flying through the sky I choose a square box that moves up and down
and joined the elevator constructors of Local 12 in KC, MO in 2007. I am certified in 5G for stick welding. TIG welded aircraft parts while
certified at NWA. And continue to weld mig/tig & stick for myself outside of work. I am FCC licensed general radio telephone and amateur
radio KC0RMK.
I truly love all varieties of mechanical things. Especially my diesel truck and 528 BBF pulling truck.
My old 1962 JD 3010D has a special place in my heart, dam thing tried to kill me once in 1982 I am not going to let it off easy!!
Thanks for allowing me to share,
Chet

My dad never went to high school. He could read good enough but couldn't turn that around to write and spell. His highest priorities were cigarettes and finding someone to play cribbage with. He died of lung cancer when I was 20. But that guy could fix about anything. I've been a diesel mechanic now for about 26 years, and I still rate him at the top for what he could do. He would take something broken, that even I, or most anyone else would just throw away or replace, and figure out some amazing way to fix it. You could call it a cobble job with the stuff he would use, but the end result would always be impressive. My grandpa on my mom's side died 10 years before I was born. He ran his own saw mill that was powered by an airplane engine, and made his own car. I often wondered if his love of sawing wood has anything to do with my interest in sawing wood.

Anyway I've been putzing at fixing stuff ever since I can remember because that's just how things were done around our house. Things really picked up when I gained a very good comprehension of energy. What it is, and how it works. Heat, motion, electricity. Work=force X distance. When you have a good understanding of these things, it's amazing how much it helps. Diagnostics, especially 12V electrical, is a specialty of mine. I rebuild engines here and there, I can rebuild a semi-trailer that rolled over, perform DOT inspections on pretty much anything that goes down the road. Much of my time these days is spent inspecting, and repairing bulk chemical tankers. Whatever comes in the door. Failure is not an option.

I always say good mechanics don't know everything. It's the ability to dig in and figure anything out that makes them good. That thrill of watching, or listening to a machine run perfectly, after you've just had it all apart never gets old.

i am an operator, not a mechanic. I can tune things and run them at the ragged edge, I understand how things work and can do some repairs, but would rather let someone else do it.

My Dad had a farm and worked as a mechanic all the while I was growing up. I was crazy about the new car models when they came forth every Fall and got to polish them for the showroom. 66 Chevy Impala was my fav. Dad showed me the basics on a couple of Briggs & Stratton washing machine motors. Once I got the first one going, I used it to belt up to the next project motor to get it started until I ran my whole hand around one of the pulleys under the belt. Not a good thing. As a HS Freshman I studied the box of parts that a senior had left after he tore apart a Lawnboy D series motor. It had a spark advance and a mechanical governor that took awhile to get together. The shop teacher was amazed and gave me top grades there on out.
Dad absolutely hated 2 cycle engines though and threw his Mac 1-10 on the scrap iron heap. I asked for it and still have it 40 yrs. later and it still runs great. Raced and sold snowmobiles, fixed the neighbors snowblowers and motorcycles, messed with saws all through the last 35 yrs. I have over 150k miles riding my BMWs doing all maintenance on them, and now have confirmed CAD. My cylinder count is 61 currently, the majority being 2 strokers.
My eyes still well up at the sound of a well tuned motor that's "on the pipe"...I guess that I am beyond hope!

I started off with a erector set at 7 and built everything I could (I still have it)and then I moved in with a foster family that raced at Riverside Park, Stafford,Thompson,Waterford and others. I was learning all kinds of stuff about cars, at 14 I rebuilt my first VW 1600cc engine and it ran! I learned more at Suffield high in metal shop, and auto shop, welding and how to work metal. I started with chevy v8s, automatic trannys, then onto prince tech for 2 years to Machine Theory and onto Tool and Die at Colts 3 years and Chandler Evans 4 years then to Hamilton Standard for 11 years. I left and started my own finish carpentry cabinet business for the last 28 years. I still work on my own engines and everything I can work on. I have a shop with a South bend lathe, ect...

as an engineer, this guy is my hero...

Dad tried to teach me how to repair according to spec...he is a radial engine aircraft mechanic. I caught the "improve it" bug instead.

Then I spent several years hanging out with old farm hands and shade tree mechanincs...do it 3 times the short way instead of once the right way.

I learned to do it my way, and not let anyone else help me with repairs. No one cares as much as I do.

The good thing about learning the hard way is you don't forget what you learned.

Dad mellowed a bit too, so now we consult each other on all sorts of repairs.

as an engineer, this guy is my hero...

Dad tried to teach me how to repair according to spec...he is a radial engine aircraft mechanic. I caught the "improve it" bug instead.

Then I spent several years hanging out with old farm hands and shade tree mechanincs...do it 3 times the short way instead of once the right way.

I learned to do it my way, and not let anyone else help me with repairs. No one cares as much as I do.

The good thing about learning the hard way is you don't forget what you learned.

Dad mellowed a bit too, so now we consult each other on all sorts of repairs.

Man, I can sure relate with you. I'd give you 6 likes if I could!

Latest posts

Back