What is your shop rate?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve K

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So you Stihl shop guys, what is your shop rate? How much time or $ do you charge for an inspection/quote on a saw repair? Let's say it's on a suspected top end rebuild or a suspected seal replacement.

Customers what did you pay for an inspection or diagnosis?

60$ an hour going to 70$ this winter. Shops closer to the city get 75$-90$ an hour, rural ones like us it ranges from 50-70$, the Amish/Mennonite shops get 20$-30$ an hour.

We charge a 30$ shop minimum, we're not strict about it. If I pull the plug and see the top end is toast I usually don't charge you. But if I have to do some testing/ tear down to find out the seals, bearings etc. are shot I'll charge you a half hour.

We try to only work on premium brand hand held stuff. Anytime someone has us work on a piece of mass merchant brand hand held equipment I take a Non-Refundable 30$ deposit, to be applied to the bill. We do this to weed out any one looking for a place to dump their junk.

But that includes my tear down testing time, my time to look up all the parts and come up with an estimate of what it will cost to repair the unit. And if it may or may not be worth fixing I'll usually come up with a Plan B, that would save the customer money by using used parts or something similar, and still save the unit. Even when I charge a half hour I've spent more time on it than I'm charging for.

Last edited:
At the shop I am currently employed at, the labor rate is $60 per hour. Clients looking for quotes/estimates work we charge a $30 fee. This gives our technicians about 30 minutes to troubleshoot the problem, pinpoint it's source, and prepare a repair estimate. If the client so chooses to have the equipment repaired, the $30 fee is credited into the final repair bill.

holy moly

i couldnt get that much burning beads all day long

55/hr for handheld

70/hr for wheels

1/2hr shop minimum

But like Blood says the 1/2hr minimum is kinda flexible. If it takes me 10 minutes to fix/diagnose your saw it's a dollar a minute.

BTW Blood I like the up front deposit idea on the box store bombers may have to impliment that one myself. :clap:

Just so you guys know... customer attitude goes a long way when deciding how "flexible" the bill is, as does the condition of the saw.

If you come in with a pretty good attitude and bring me a fairly clean saw to work on you're probably gonna be pretty happy with your bill, heck if it's something simple you might even be my freebie for the day.

If you come in with a "tude" thinking the world owes you something because your here and plop down a ball of oil soaked saw dust with a handle sticking out of it..... not only are you gonna get the full bill, I'm gonna take my sweet azz time cleaning that mess up before I can even start working on it.

While we're on the subject of attitudes another thing to clue you in on about service (and maybe it's just me)..... the customer is always right. ;)

What I mean is if you ask me to check out your saw, I'm gonna check out your saw, if you say "I think it may be the module, I pulled the sparkplug to check it and it had no fire"... that’s good information to know and I'll get to checking that out for you with a smile on me face. Now it may well be the module but modules are pretty bullit proof so I'm gonna check the plug first and then track down all the wires and switches to make sure there are no shorts. If it turns out you still need a module then I'll put one on, but if it turns out you just needed a new sparkplug then hey it's your lucky day 1.95 and we'll see ya next time, thank you for your business.

If you come in trying to be a cheap azz know-it-all and say "put a module in it, I don't want you to do anything else to it, I tested the plug and it had no fire so just put a module on it".... YES SIR, RIGHT AWAY SIR...the customer is always right. Now right or wrong weather it fixes the problem or not the one thing you're gonna leave the shop with is a new high dollar module and a half hour labor for putting it on..... and maybe a sparkplug. :D

Trust me guys customer attitude goes a long way around the shop, of course from the other side of the counter so does the dealers. ;)

wont believe this

john deere dealer well use to be still he is my competition down the street he charges $ 70.00 a hr

i charge what i think is fair to the customer and me besides i dont charge by the hour i have a flat rate schedule i charge by for chain sharpening i charge $ 5.00 a chain

no matter how long it takes

tune ups on mowers riders are $ 49.99
and pushmowers are $ 29.99 for oil change make sure the carb is working air filter spark plug blade sharpening service included in the price

so basically it shows the consumer the total of there repair bill before they say go with the repair

as far as bench fees is $ 20.00

Last edited:
my charge

chain $10.00
basic tune up $50.00 4 Stroke
basic tune up $40.00 2 Stroke
if a customer trys fixin it before i get my hand on it i charge a extra $60.00
parts 20% over cost
standard shop rate i charge is $85.00 Labor

:givebeer:

So you Stihl shop guys, what is your shop rate? How much time or $ do you charge for an inspection/quote on a saw repair? Let's say it's on a suspected top end rebuild or a suspected seal replacement.

Customers what did you pay for an inspection or diagnosis?

Shop rate $85/hr. Diagnostics $35 flat rate. Quote, no charge (needs to change as it takes 15-20 minutes to do an inspection/quote).

55/hr for handheld

70/hr for wheels

1/2hr shop minimum

but like blood says the 1/2hr minimum is kinda flexible. If it takes me 10 minutes to fix/diagnose your saw it's a dollar a minute.

Btw blood i like the up front deposit idea on the box store bombers may have to impliment that one myself. :clap:

Just so you guys know... Customer attitude goes a long way when deciding how "flexible" the bill is, as does the condition of the saw.

If you come in with a pretty good attitude and bring me a fairly clean saw to work on you're probably gonna be pretty happy with your bill, heck if it's something simple you might even be my freebie for the day.

If you come in with a "tude" thinking the world owes you something because your here and plop down a ball of oil soaked saw dust with a handle sticking out of it..... Not only are you gonna get the full bill, i'm gonna take my sweet azz time cleaning that mess up before i can even start working on it.

While we're on the subject of attitudes another thing to clue you in on about service (and maybe it's just me)..... The customer is always right. ;)

what i mean is if you ask me to check out your saw, i'm gonna check out your saw, if you say "i think it may be the module, i pulled the sparkplug to check it and it had no fire"... That’s good information to know and i'll get to checking that out for you with a smile on me face. Now it may well be the module but modules are pretty bullit proof so i'm gonna check the plug first and then track down all the wires and switches to make sure there are no shorts. If it turns out you still need a module then i'll put one on, but if it turns out you just needed a new sparkplug then hey it's your lucky day 1.95 and we'll see ya next time, thank you for your business.

If you come in trying to be a cheap azz know-it-all and say "put a module in it, i don't want you to do anything else to it, i tested the plug and it had no fire so just put a module on it".... Yes sir, right away sir...the customer is always right. Now right or wrong weather it fixes the problem or not the one thing you're gonna leave the shop with is a new high dollar module and a half hour labor for putting it on..... And maybe a sparkplug. :d

trust me guys customer attitude goes a long way around the shop, of course from the other side of the counter so does the dealers. ;)

++++1

CIMG3625.jpg

Good thread - With minimums around $30 and an hour around $70 it shows why there are so many fubar'ed out of tune cheap saws floating around.
Why pay $30 to $70 to tune up something that costs $150. That's like paying $3,000 to $7,000 to tune up a $15,000 car.

I work on cars/trucks in my spare time.
Shop rate $50/hour + parts

I have a sign on the wall

you can have it fast
you can have it reliable
you can have it cheap
pick any 2...........

Good thread - With minimums around $30 and an hour around $70 it shows why there are so many fubar'ed out of tune cheap saws floating around.
Why pay $30 to $70 to tune up something that costs $150. That's like paying $3,000 to $7,000 to tune up a $15,000 car.

it does not take me an hour to tune up a saw.

Latest posts

Back