What kind of bandage will stick to sweaty skin??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coban = expensive +++
As a medical professional(Full time) / tree climber (part-time) I'd suggest the humble/simple Kling wrap. Just put on the sterile guaze and cover with kling. What works even better is a 2 or 3 " tensor bandage. fits nicely in the first aid kit on the saddle and if you ever get a real gusher - it will stop that if you wrap it tighter. Don't get me wrong nothing wrong with Coban but I guess I'm not a rich full timer :confused:

Do you mean this stuff?
"KLING WRAP"
300.jpg

TENSOR BANDAGE
TENSOR-Elastic-Bandage-w-Removable-Clips-6-x-4.5-yds-549965-PRODUCT-MEDIUM_IMAGE.jpg

Last edited:
Stopped by the pharmacy on the way home:
The back of this package said to secure with tape -
200.jpg

Told the Pharmacist what it was for - this stuff was recommended - sticks to itself - it's the stuff they use when you give blood or get a blood test - got some, we'll see.
300.jpg

The wrap that is being referred to is called Vet Wrap made by 3M among others.
VetWrap is just the veterinary version of Coban. Kling is a similar product. These are all designed to hold larger sterile pads (4X4's, etc.) against larger wounds. Any kind of wrap will do this (flagging/Caution tape, old t-shirt, strips of shrink wrap, etc.)

Kansas said:
I wrap masking tape or electrical tape around the bandage nothing sticks to oil and grease either.

+1

I use duct tape or masking tape to hold smaller Band-Aid type bandages in place when working, because I usually have these around. You can carry any of the various types of first aid tapes in your kit if you want to make it look official, and if you want 'skin approved' adhesives.

Again, anything will work; all it does is hold the sterile dressing/pad in place. Works best if you make a full circle of the tape around your finger, etc., , instead of relying on it sticking to your wet/dirty/greasy skin. Tape also helps hold band-aids in place on awkward locations (knuckles, etc.) where movement is involved. Just be sure that you don't wrap anything around the bandages so tight that you cut off circulation.

Philbert

Hey Single Jack the 2 pictures you showed were correct. It does say you'll need tape but honestly after you make 8-12 wraps around the arm/leg/wrist or whatever it is quite easy to just tuck the end in under soom of the previous wraps. Hope that helps. That stuff you bought also looks great ... may be even more user friendly. I personally have never used but as long as the price is right try it for sure.

Hey Single Jack the 2 pictures you showed were correct. It does say you'll need tape but honestly after you make 8-12 wraps around the arm/leg/wrist or whatever it is quite easy to just tuck the end in under soom of the previous wraps. Hope that helps. That stuff you bought also looks great ... may be even more user friendly. I personally have never used but as long as the price is right try it for sure.

Thanks much for the advice. Hope I don't need to "try it" but if I do, I'll let you know how it goes, assuming I can.

Stopped by the pharmacy on the way home:
The back of this package said to secure with tape -
200.jpg

Told the Pharmacist what it was for - this stuff was recommended - sticks to itself - it's the stuff they use when you give blood or get a blood test - got some, we'll see.
300.jpg

Thanks for the pictures mate!!!
What a debate this started, all in the effort to plug a few silky holes!
They are itching like mad now...little pink bumps that will fade into insignificance, certainly compared to their contribution to finding a solution to the problem of getting something to stick to sweaty skin:dizzy:

What about a little dab of super glue to seal the wound? Clean it up and bam. I just used to rub some dirt in it, or maybe some tree sap:dizzy:

Dermatol Clin. 2005 Apr;23(2):193-8.

Cyanoacrylates for skin closure.

Eaglstein WH, Sullivan T.

Cyanoacrylates (CAs) were not widely adopted for medical use until recently because of lingering concerns regarding the initial tissue toxicities of the short-chain CAs. The medium-chain CAs, primarily butyl-cyanoacrylate, have been widely used in Europe and Canada for several decades and have gone a long way in dispelling any lingering concerns about tissue toxicity. The newer, longer chain CA, octyl-2-cyanoacrylate (2-OCA), now has been approved for multiple uses in the United States and has achieved widespread acceptance by the medical and lay communities. The current authors believe that this is probably only the beginning of the use of 2-OCA and other CAs in cutaneous medicine. This article discusses the use of CAs in their original cutaneous use as glues for the repair of lacerations and incisions and in their more recent use as dressings for the treatment of abrasions and wounds.

J Surg Res. 2005 May 15;125(2):161-7.

Evaluation of an absorbable cyanoacrylate adhesive as a suture line sealant.

Ellman PI, Brett Reece T, Maxey TS, Tache-Leon C, Taylor JL, Spinosa DJ, Pineros-Fernandez AC, Rodeheaver GT, Kern JA.

BACKGROUND: Previous formulations of cyanoacrylate, though very effective, proved to have too high a tissue reactivity to be used internally. A novel cyanoacrylate compound with less tissue reactivity was recently developed. The objective of this study was to assess this novel cyanoacrylate compound for the use as vascular suture line sealant. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Twelve adult female sheep received a 6 mm PTFE interposition graft in each iliac artery, for a total of 24 grafts. Using oxidized cellulose (Surgicel) as a control, two formulations of a new cyanoacrylate compound (named "compound A" and "compound B") were assessed during this trial. Hemostatic efficiency was measured at the time of operation by the assessment of bleeding time and amount of blood loss. Long-term graft patency was assessed angiographically at 4, 6, and 18 months. Tissue reaction at 2 weeks, 1, 6, and 18 months was assessed grossly by vascular surgeons and microscopically by a blinded pathologist. RESULTS: Average time to hemostasis was 37.6, 50.6, and 219 s in group A, group B, and oxidized cellulose control groups, respectively (P<or=0.001 for both compounds versus control). There were no significant differences between groups with regards to graft patency. Histopathology analysis demonstrated mild to moderate tissue reaction at 2 weeks and 1 month in the cyanoacrylate groups compared with controls at 1 month (ANOVA P=0.004). Mild tissue reaction was seen at 6 months and 18 months, with no significant differences between groups (ANOVA P=0.08, 0.62, respectively). CONCLUSIONS: The novel cyanoacrylate compound examined in this study is a highly effective suture line sealant with only mild tissue reactivity and no significant effects on graft patency when studied over an 18 month period.
Dermabond contains the compound 2-octyl cyanoacrylate, an acrylic resin. Cyanoacrylate adhesives are famous for “instant” attachment because of their hydrophilic nature.

I read another that most of the dermal reactive compounds are in the carriers.

The Dermabond runs ~$13 each in a box of 12, or $24 each by the single ampule at online med supply stores.

Last edited:
I have extensive experience working with dermabond. It is a wonderful product however it does have some draw backs. I suggest this product for very remote work / play or in a peds ER as a alternative to suturing for children. I had some rather large forearm scratches post a rather large job working on 10 large pines. I came home and washed my arms until they were clean (well so I thought) I applied the dermabond and within 12 hours the dermabonded areas were infected. I should really have known better. The dermabond seals the wound completely so any drainage of bacterial, dirt etc is sealed off so infection reaction here we come. The dermabond in an awesome product when you cut yourself bad enough to require sutures but this type of service is not readily available. If you are going to use this product PLEASE ensure that the wound is TOTALLY cleaned.
Hope this helps

I should really have known better. The dermabond seals the wound completely so any drainage of bacterial, dirt etc is sealed off so infection reaction here we come.

I've never read the package, but I would think you would use it more like a suture. I've used Crazy Glue this way, before I read about the cyanide concerns.

My favorite bandage, after several cloth knuckle style, is a wad of TP and electric tape.

Closing a wound

Hi Fellas
Just would like to add more of my 2 cents worth.I'm not sure what you call them in the USA,but here we call them Steri Strips,you can use these to close wounds also.They come in different sizes for different wound size's.I have used these, and quite often when you visit the emergency department with them applied the doctor will look at the wound and say "I'll leave it alone as the Steri strips are in place and will hold the wound together just like stitches would".
Lawrence

I would suggest buying so Coban. I have been a medic in the US Army for over 6 years now. I never go anywhere without Kerlix(rolled gauze) and Coban and duck tape. I can treat just about anything that is bleeding with these things. Coban has many other uses also. It can be used to give handles of just about anything some "grip". I have a friend that uses it for wraps on his baseball bat and hockey stick. It really is great stuff and I would suggest trying some.

Here is practical application of my kit with a feme napkin yesterday
And no it was not a chain saw...
Was it by Q..?? pop quizz
Over the fence from my Psyche ward
Over the fence from your girl friend
Over the leg by barbed wire fencing

A. I was leg lassoed whilst removing old burnt barbed wire fence from our bush fire affected land Victoria Aus. The napkins work a treat soaked up the claret till it stopped. One change and with tape the second held in place all day.

nice landcruiser!

I second the notion of the horse tape stuff. Its nearly identical to the coban stuff and way cheaper.

scarring

Here is practical application of my kit with a feme napkin yesterday
And no it was not a chain saw...
Was it by Q..?? pop quizz
Over the fence from my Psyche ward
Over the fence from your girl friend
Over the leg by barbed wire fencing

A. I was leg lassoed whilst removing old burnt barbed wire fence from our bush fire affected land Victoria Aus. The napkins work a treat soaked up the claret till it stopped. One change and with tape the second held in place all day.

Hey, you can minimize scarring if you peel off the scab daily (once it hardens) & redo the dressing. Though, some blokes like pretty gals with scars...kinda makes us feel equal!
I use the duct tape over betadine cleaned wounds covered with clean towels. However, those femme napkins sure are a novel idea. Guess I'll get a stock of them for the supply box. Cheers!

Hi Fellas
Just would like to add more of my 2 cents worth.I'm not sure what you call them in the USA,but here we call them Steri Strips,you can use these to close wounds also.They come in different sizes for different wound size's.I have used these, and quite often when you visit the emergency department with them applied the doctor will look at the wound and say "I'll leave it alone as the Steri strips are in place and will hold the wound together just like stitches would".
Lawrence

No, the doctor says "lets get that wound open, properly cleaned out, and stitched up". I don't know why they even put steri strips in first aid kits, biggest mistake ever.

Shaun

However, those femme napkins sure are a novel idea. Guess I'll get a stock of them for the supply box. Cheers!

Those things have saved many lives over in the sandbox. Buddy of mine was a wrecker operator, had to go pick his buds that where hit by IED's. Said that the things will stop bleeding very fast and plug holes.

I recommend a kit. A seal zipp bag with a disposable nappie (unused) gaffa tape (color of your choice) a tampon unused (see your girl friend about this) a chemical ice bag (break and cool it) type and a clean towel.
These all make a real fair dinks 1st aid kit that can...
Plug compress seal wrap cool hold amputations & wipe up industry related mishaps. I have a giggle at tiny band aids n little cotton buds you find in most kits these wont stop a nasty claret job just make you swear more whilst trying to open them. I did the same as writer up a tree. I pulled a hand saw through the back cut and into my face, lucky was outside a hospital. It must a look bad but not as messy as Micheal Jackson's nic n tuck..

Take care but be prepared

Can you imagine the homeowner's expression after he changes his dressing and leaves the old one on the deck? :laugh:

Latest posts

Back