What kind of bandage will stick to sweaty skin??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot to mention that a little bit of Hydrogen Peroxide will flush out the dirt before you put on the sterile dressing and the Coban
Lawrence

Have to disagree, hydrogen peroxide is of little value as an antiseptic and actually damages tissue and slows healing. Most hand saw and knife cuts will bleed clean and require no antiseptic. Sterile pad, direct pressure and something to hold it in place are all that is usually needed for non-life threatening wounds.

If one uses super glue to hold a wound closed, apply JUST TO THE SKIN after blood flow slows. Don't let it get deep into the wound. I use a tweezers to press the edges of the cut closed immediately after applying the glue. If necessary I glue a small patch of gauze or a wad of spider web over the wound for extra hold.

The glue starts to come loose in day or three. Reapply if necessary. Use only the thin formula. Super glue works better than dermabond.

Triple antibiotic applied to the skin near, not on, the wound may be used for infection preventive but is seldom actually needed. Alcohol on cuts also slows healing.

I have extensive experience working with dermabond. It is a wonderful product however it does have some draw backs. I suggest this product for very remote work / play or in a peds ER as a alternative to suturing for children. I had some rather large forearm scratches post a rather large job working on 10 large pines. I came home and washed my arms until they were clean (well so I thought) I applied the dermabond and within 12 hours the dermabonded areas were infected. I should really have known better. The dermabond seals the wound completely so any drainage of bacterial, dirt etc is sealed off so infection reaction here we come. The dermabond in an awesome product when you cut yourself bad enough to require sutures but this type of service is not readily available. If you are going to use this product PLEASE ensure that the wound is TOTALLY cleaned.
Hope this helps

Any type of glue closer can be applied in such a way as to allow for drainage. I would never use anything to cover scratches except a gauze wrap. I keep a staple gun in my trauma bag for larger wounds as well as sutures. Survival groups have hands on training in trauma treatments that go beyond first responder training that anyone working in timber should sign up for.

Last edited:
I forget what it is called, but when I worked at the local Agway as a kid, we had these leg wraps for horses. They stick to everything, including themselves, but are not so adhesive that they tear your arm apart when you remove them. I think they were about 3 bucks each and come in all kinds of cool colors, if you wanna look good while you bleed out...

They were like "Ace" bandages, but with adhesive backing, so they would stay put without those annoying little clips.

Check em out, I used to carry 2 of them in my trauma kit.

Elastikon by johnson and johnson re-order # 5175

Will stick to sweaty horses, very sticky. Only comes in flesh/ tan color. I am a veterinarian and this is the duct tape of the animal medical world.

It will pull the hair off, so if you have a bad wound that will need wrapped for a while, shave as much as you can to avoid the pull!!!

my 2 cents.

service

Those things have saved many lives over in the sandbox. Buddy of mine was a wrecker operator, had to go pick his buds that where hit by IED's. Said that the things will stop bleeding very fast and plug holes.

Hey, Thanks for the service!!! Bringing back lots of the improvisation that were used over there will be an asset in an emergency. Good luck in your business endeavors!

Being free to pick n choose comes at a hard price many suffer for us! Hire a vet!:cheers:

This is what I would recommend.Put a sterile dressing over the wound,and keep it in place with a wrap called Coban,it comes in rolls and sticks to itself like you can't believe.If I'm correct they used it in Vietnam, and it's been around ever since.I think 3M makes it.Maybe google it,but I'm sure any safety supply ie.first aid supply would have it.
Lawrence

Coban or a no name is also found at petco and the like as a veterinary wrap. Just remove after awhile as the elastic continues to shrink on itself and can become a tourniquet in time. also good silk tape circumstantially wrapped sticks well to itself and is dirt cheap. just make sure it is not too tight to cause lack of circulation below the tape......

dont know if its been said, but liquid bandage is awesome. its like gluing your cut shut. i've used all kinds of superglue on cuts, the krazy glue is awright. but the liquid bandage doesnt burn like some of the other super glues do. not that the burning is real bad or anything

I use neosporin on cut, then gauze over neosporin, then coban or the knockoff self adhesive wrap I get at walgreens.

Like the other guys have said... liquid bandage (mine is aerosol, its water proof and seals a cut very nicely) and athletic tape, cant go past em

First Aid

This is what I would recommend.Put a sterile dressing over the wound,and keep it in place with a wrap called Coban,it comes in rolls and sticks to itself like you can't believe.If I'm correct they used it in Vietnam, and it's been around ever since.I think 3M makes it.Maybe google it,but I'm sure any safety supply ie.first aid supply would have it.
Lawrence

Coban was actually invented for Veterinary applications.

Back