What Kind of Mileage Does Your Saw Get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been pondering this subject myself. I have a muffler modded MS361 and an almost broke-in MS250. The trailer I use to haul firewood is an old short-bed pickup rear-end. I use about 2 tanks through the 361 and about a tank and a half through the MS250 to get this trailer full (when I say full it is right at a half cord, give or take).

Now, 50% of my firewood is seasoned hedge limbs that were cut by fence post seekers over 10 years ago and average about 4 to 5 inches in diameter. These limbs still need to be cleaned of the little branches, sometimes I use an axe, most of the time I use the MS250.

About 20% of my firewood are standing dead hedge trees that were killed when a fire got away from us 3 years ago. Of these, I have only cut 1 that was larger than 20inches while most are about 12 inches diameter.

About 15% of the wood is actual green hedge that just needs to be trimmed up/cut down for some reason or another. Usually only about an 8 inch limb at the largest.

The remaining 15% of my firewood is standing dead or fallen dead black locust and elm. Has a lot of dirt on it or in it usually and I stop to touch up my chains when the chips turn to mostly dust and top off the fuel and oil as well.

I did get to cut a green pecan tree during December of 2009 and was able to cut over a full cord of wood with just 1 tank of fuel in the then stock MS361 and about a half tank in my dad's stock MS310.

I went through about three gallons of gas to put up 5 cords of wood this past fall. That was consumed in all of my saws but mostly the 440, 260, and 021 this year. Never tracked each saw individually.

Last time I got on my saw to ride to work it only got about 100 ft before the chain broke so I am really surprised anyone got a mile on one to measure. But in all fairness my chain was worn and it was on some rocky terrain so I guess you might get a mile on one before the chain broke, but it is so much more comfortable to just drive the car.

Seriously though my Dolmar 116si has never ran out of fuel before my little Toyota was loaded but my Poulan S25DA has many times. I have never measured but I would guess that my Dolmar has over 2 times as big a tank as the Poulan and runs a bar that is less than twice as long so I assume that there is not a huge difference in consumption.

Last time I got on my saw to ride to work it only got about 100 ft before the chain broke so I am really surprised anyone got a mile on one to measure. But in all fairness my chain was worn and it was on some rocky terrain so I guess you might get a mile on one before the chain broke, but it is so much more comfortable to just drive the car.

Seriously though my Dolmar 116si has never ran out of fuel before my little Toyota was loaded but my Poulan S25DA has many times. I have never measured but I would guess that my Dolmar has over 2 times as big a tank as the Poulan and runs a bar that is less than twice as long so I assume that there is not a huge difference in consumption.
Why 50 lines of blank space between the paragraphs?

Anybody got a copy of that picutre of Snelling riding his Dolmar?:hmm3grin2orange:

Preventative maintenance helps. I find I can cut more on a tank of gas after clean air filter, new plug, sharpening chain, etc

I have stihl ms390. A friend of mine has a 455 husky 390 has the larger cc engine but they both seeem to use the same amount of fuel iv never counted tanks to cord of wood ratio but now I will ms 660 is a hog but its a
Back saver on large maple I don't bother fighting them anymore I rip them in half then 2 guys can pick up a half to put on the splitter

I get anywhere from 1/3 cord ( hickory,locust ) up to 2/3+ on poplar, per "tank". Lots of variables to make any measure useful.

Now, what kind of mileage can one get while "walking the dog"? That would be useful! Yeah, I know, that still has variables...

Well Dolmar 7900 after two years uses a full tank in 17 cuts average yesterday. Chain could have been sharper, 24 inch oregon bar buried each cut, could use the air filter cleaned (hard to get used to cleaning the filter after having a husky), and needs a new sparkie the plug. Fuel tank holds 25.4 oz, so 25.4 oz of green fuel for 18 two foot diameter rounds. I guess it would matter if the tree was green or dry as well.

GF's little stihl 170 runs forever (once you get the pos to run/start after 50 pulls) on a tank but it takes forever to cut anything as well. I do wonder if it really matters to use a smaller saw unless you are cutting way smaller size logs.

Now she bought my home depot Makita 6401 from me and it lasts longer on fuel than my 7900 does.

My stihl 017 is hard to start also I run a 12in bar 3/8 chain and for a litttle limb saw its great don't expect more from it I can't do it thinking about a carb muffler upgrade

GF's little stihl 170 runs forever (once you get the pos to run/start after 50 pulls) on a tank but it takes forever to cut anything as well.
It doesn't use fuel - you were winding it up.

I’ve been watchin’ this thread as it pops to the top of the list…
Kind’a funny, I’ve never thought of chainsaw fuel “mileage” in terms of how much wood gets cut; I think of it in terms of time. My 026 runs longer per tank cutting small stuff vs. bigger stuff… but no matter, when it runs out’a fuel enough time has elapsed that I’m ready for a short break to fill it up, brush off the air filter, touch-up or swap the chain, move some branches and brush out’a the way… maybe even roll or toss a few rounds out from underfoot. Because I don’t “load” anything until after splitting, I don’t have any idea “how much” wood gets cut per tank of fuel… and I don’t really care… it-is-what-it-is.

i had my ms660 noodling some big rounds yesterday after work and you can watch the fuel level drop when you pull the trigger,but it sure does cut fast,i would have to say it is my favorite noodling saw:msp_biggrin:

I use a small saw to limb with and get the brush out of the way then break out "Ol' uncle Ache", the venerable 2171. Once the brush is outta the way Ol' uncle Ache can work up a p/u truck load on one tank of fuel mix. That's loaded cab hi all the way to the tail-gate.

Because I don’t “load” anything until after splitting, I don’t have any idea “how much” wood gets cut per tank of fuel… and I don’t really care… it-is-what-it-is.

I didn't really care either - until gas started hitting up near 4 bucks a gallon. Now I want to cut as much wood as I can on a gallon of gas. On one tank of gas, I can cut nearly twice as much wood using my 359 as I can with my 55 Rancher. It just makes economical sense to use the saw that gets the most wood on the ground. Never mind that I simply love that 359 and tolerate the 55. :msp_smile:

I sell firewood, and try to do everything as efficiently as I can to keep the cost per cord down, and fuel consumption is another one of those cost control items that I can actually do something about.

Ted

I certainly care - protecting my family from high fuel costs and fuel scarcity was the main reason I heat with wood. It's not easy to measure in any consistent way though. Nonetheless, using small efficient saws (strato is a help here again) with sharp chains, and in some cases narrow kerf chains will reduce your fuel use.

Having said that, keep in mind that the small amount of fuel I use in the saw and the old WheelHorse to collect my firewood enables me to massively reduce the amount of fossil fuel energy I use to heat my house. What is a couple of gallon of gasoline, premix and bar oil compared to hundreds of gallons of heating oil? Of course I still have to pay for it, and if it's not available the saw still won't run. Which is why I'm working on securing other ways to cut wood not directly dependent on fossil fuel.

I think it's all relative . My 346, 55R, and 272 all cut a good pickup load of hardwood on one tank of fuel . The 272 has animalistic speed , so I'm done quicker , offsetting the extra fuel burned . The 346 is quite fast up to 15" wood , and sips fuel . The 55 is slow but just keeps chugging along and it sips fuel also .

when i'm using my 660 and if the tree has been cleared from any large debris i can get a cord cut in about 15 mins and use 3/4 of a tank. this is very general because no trees are EVER the same. But when im using my 441 :hmm3grin2orange: well theres no comparison to the 660 of course i can use 2 tanks easily just to cut a cord of wood. haha not very informative just my 2 cents.

when i'm using my 660 and if the tree has been cleared from any large debris i can get a cord cut in about 15 mins and use 3/4 of a tank. this is very general because no trees are EVER the same. But when im using my 441 :hmm3grin2orange: well theres no comparison to the 660 of course i can use 2 tanks easily just to cut a cord of wood. haha not very informative just my 2 cents.

So if I'm reading you right, you use 21 oz. of mix to cut a cord with the 660 ( 3/4 x 28 oz tank ) and 48 oz. using the 441 ( 2 x 24 oz ). You might want to check your 441's tank for leaks....

Back