What kind of oak ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red Oak. What's wrong with this, too many people agreeing. I like controversy.

Your right. Lets stir it up a bit. I just went outside and picked two random pieces from that pile and checked for moisture content. One was 41%, one 35%. How long will it take for this wood to get less than 20%. I placed these two pieces on my covered east facing front porch ? Logs were cut Jan 2013 and split today. View attachment 290959View attachment 290960View attachment 290961

Last edited:
Well, first of all, your using the MM wrong! lol The pins should run with the grain, not across.

But, I would say that if you are in a breezy area with lots of sun, they will be burnable by November, December, somewhere in there.

Really, they will never ever be usable there, just ship all that stuff to me here, and I will try and use em up for ya. I will worry about my chimney getting all creosoted to you don't have to! That's just how I am!

Ted

OK, I'll be contrary. Looks a lot like cherry to me. What does it smell like, horse pee or a cherry lollipop? :msp_biggrin:

Good point on plugging the wood with the grain. Never thought about it Much easier to push them in with the grain. Just for good measure I went out and re-tested. Results were the same. I plan to sell this wood for next winter so I hope it dries out. Bring your pick up. First load is on me !

Well, first of all, your using the MM wrong! lol The pins should run with the grain, not across.

But, I would say that if you are in a breezy area with lots of sun, they will be burnable by November, December, somewhere in there.

Really, they will never ever be usable there, just ship all that stuff to me here, and I will try and use em up for ya. I will worry about my chimney getting all creosoted to you don't have to! That's just how I am!

Ted

OK, I'll be contrary. Looks a lot like cherry to me. What does it smell like, horse pee or a cherry lollipop? :msp_biggrin:

Definatly swells more like horse pee. Come to think of it I don't know what horse pee smells like, but this wood smelled pretty strong when cut.

Good to see your equipment back up and running...

Mr Prentice wood?

it really black oak check the barks colour:msp_biggrin:

I'm just gonna sell it as oak of some kind and not get too specific. Yep TP brought me some nice logs before half load. Still got a ways to go before I come close to what you got sitting there. More coming first week of May.

Definatly swells more like horse pee. Come to think of it I don't know what horse pee smells like, but this wood smelled pretty strong when cut.

If it smells like piss then it is red oak. It will burn now just depends on how bad you need it. More than once i have cut up a green tree and burnt it a week later. All depends on how desperate you are. Next burning season would be ideal but it will burn before that.

Northern red oak.

Great firewood but takes a while to cure.
2 years and beyond I find it's at it's best.

Will burn after 6 months of drying but it's nothing like 2 years dried wood.

I'd bet on red oak.
I just split rounds from a tree that came down on 10/28/2011. It should be ready this winter.

While everybody making a stab at it, let me throw my knife at it. Looks to me like either pin oak or water oak. I'm just judging by the bark. The inerds looks the same too. The bark is nothing like I've ever seen with red oak.

If you split it all now and small, stack in a sunny, open air space you may be able to burn it this winter. It depends on your wood burner set-up. In my Buck it would do a lot of hissing and smoldering and constant attendance of the air intake. If you leave it in "rounds" it will have about the same moisture a year from now except for a couple inches at the ends. Some, especially OWB, can burn it almost immediately but with reduced BTUs.

Back