what kind of price/bd ft

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mkarlson

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have access to some some decent black walnut,cherry, and ash. I had thought about loading up some 8-10 foot logs and having them milled into some beams and 5/4 planks. Anyone have an idea of what I might expect to be charged for the milling. I would be dropping the logs off to a guy with a nice bandmill.

sawyers will charge differently depending on alot of variables...some charge by the hour, some by bd ft of yield, some by log scales (projected yield of the logs) if they have to move a mill or haul logs they will usually charge for that..you said you were hauling tho'...most guys will charge 10-30 dollars per blade if they hit metal in a log. some guys want the customer to provide labor or a helper to tail and stack boards...and most will charge by the hour to
clean mud and rocks off of a log..dirty logs are rough on blades and equipment..

i've seen per bd ft charges ranging from 15 to 35 cents per, with an extra
10 or 15 cents per for quarter sawing.

some places offer kilning and or post saw machining ranging from
planing for surface to full custom millwork...flooring molding etc...

if you find someone who wants you to tail and the are any good it will be worth the time/energy just for the learning experience, and the thrill
of watching the christmas presents open up...

you might even get addicted.:jawdrop:

if you are wanting 8 or 10 ft lumber you should consider cutting the logs
a foot or two longer to compensate for splitting and checking, and you should end coat the logs..if you do a search on here i'm betting there is info on end coating..heck just paint the log ends with leftover latex is usually goos enuff..

hope this helps. have fun!

The guy I had in mind did a large job...well large job for a small operation, for a guy I work with. I had a chance to watch his woodmizer in action ( i think it was a wood mizer) Said it was about a $40,000 set up. Was amazingly fast and automated. He said for larger jobs and nicer weather it pulls into the wood lots but in bad weather or smaller jobs he has a shop he can do everything in. He said he did alot of work where people bring him the logs and he does what they want or at least what he can with what he brings him. I discussed everything but a price lol.

Latest posts

Back