What kind of saws did your dad run ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinkbait

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
or maybe even your grandfather?

Did they have any influence on the brand of saws that you run?

My grandfather and dad strongly believe in the old McCulloch saws. I think that is one reason that I am kind of partial to the McCulloch saws.

Kind of odd but my great grandmother was a McCulloch. Just not the right group.

My Dad always had Homelites when I was growing up..... I definitely remember a 330, a 2xx ?, and a top handle saw. Other than that - I don't really remember any others.....

I actually asked him the other day, what he ever did with those old saws - HOPING that maybe he still had one or so stored in the barn somewhere!! Sadly - they are all long gone! :cry:

Dad has always owned Stihls, and he has always been a "one saw plan" guy to. I have had a few different saw brands myself, but usually have more Stihls than anything else. The "one saw thing" didn't rub off on me, but I guess the Stihl thing did though..

my dad still swears he had a poulin micro 10. ive only seen micro 25's. im thinking hes getting old and he cant remember lol. last time he was over the house i took him in the cellar and handed him the 066. he was like :jawdrop: he thought it was waay too heavy too lol. so then i handed him the old mac 250. one good thing about that saw is if it dosent start you can throw it at the tree and knock it over.

Poulans (the good ones) and Husqy's. Not sure why I ended up with Stihl. Oh yeah... I came to AS and started doing research! It didn't help that the guys at the Husqy dealer acted like they could care less that I was there, either . So 361 it is, and more to come (darn CAD).

My pa had a couple of old McC 3-25's, which I still have (plus some more to boot) and a Homie model 17. Also a very early XL-12.

Dad was kinda tight with a buck, always trying eke out a little more life from old equipment, he used these antiques right up until 1974, when he was killed in an accident.

A year or so later I bought me a shiny new Homie XL-123. I wish I had it back, now.

saw

dad had wright as kid then first bush job was sacs domar 80s
then he built log homestouaght carpenty and auto shops, he like jonsered . do to tilston and homelite carbs, some homelites ran great some did not..

then i bought johnsered 490 for farm.

My dad runs an echo 452vl he bought new in the early eighties...I bought him a MS260 and he still picks up that old echo...:dizzy:

These were my dad`s saws. First was an IEL model RA.in 1956

IMG_1881.jp

Next was a new Pioneer model 600. in 1958.

IMG_1894.jp

IMG_1895.jpg

His last Pioneer was this 1100

IMG_1951.jpg

We used a Buzz saw mounted on the front of an M Farmall tractor. We would cut logs down to a length that the 2 of us could carry them up to the buzz saw with a Homelite EZ automatic . The big logs got split by an antique toe jack and then carried to the buzz saw.
He lost the fingers on his left hand to a buzz saw when he was 16. He said it worked out well for him because he then got to go back to High School.

My granddad cut short cordwood and loaded it by hand for years.

When he was a kid he and my great uncle would ride a bicycle to the woods.

One on the handlebars and one on the seat.

They tied a two man crosscut to the bike and also two bow saws

they would fell and buck enough to load a short truck and the man would pay them and he would bring his help to load the truck.

He often said cuttin' cordwood paid a lot better than pickin' cotton.

He cut cordwood on the side for extra money until the mills around here quit taking it that length

In the 1980's he used 028 wb's and supers.

Ive still got two of them one I use the other is in a box apart.

Unfortunately he now has alzheimers and before we took his saws he filled them with something that messed up the oil passages

My Grandfather was a Homelite dealer back when it meant something, and he's always defending them when I bad mouth the garbage they call Homelites today.

My dad's only chainsaw was a Poulan Micro 25

My Stepdad and current employer, was an Echo dealer for a decade or so before taking on Stihl.

So I own mainly Stihl saws.

My grandfather used to have Poulans, as well. I wish I knew the model #'s. I was too young then. He had a little one with about a 14 - 16 inch bar that felt like it weighed about 25lbs., and he had a much bigger one with a bow bar. It's probably a good thing he got rid of that saw by the time I was ready to use one. I might have only been able to count to 7 or 8!

I posted it before but just in case. . . . .
My dad is the guy in the middle. This was their first saw (1958) - I'm not sure but I have been told it was a Teles Smith.
attachment.php

When dad when solo he had macs and solos until he stopped falling in the late 60's. That tree is a small western Australian Karri - a bit harder than your hickory but they can grow close to 300 ft tall.

My father started off with a sears branded David Bradley in 1958ish. He joined the Navy in 1962. After the David Bradley saw, he bought a Mac silver eagle to keep in a travel trailer. In 1995 he bought a 029 for firewood. He still uses both the mac and stihl for firewood. I am trying to give him a new saw! He refuses to take it. LOL! The stubborn old fart doesnt want a new saw because he is afraid that "he is going to tackle big trees and not be able to load the truck"!!! Ive got a 372xp sitting in my garage for him. Some day soon, I hope that old 029 gives up the ghost. So I can give him that 372xp!

Latest posts

Back