what kind of tree do i have?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolinaman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i just moved into a new home an have found a tree on my property and i dont remember ever seeing one of these before.its as big as a pine tree an its growing huge white/yellow/and orange flowers on it they are high enough where you cant reach by standing on the ground,i know thats not much info but can anyone tell me what i might have here? and maybe how to care for it

How about a few more clues?
Does it have needles or leaves?
How big is a pine tree???
What are the leaves shaped like?
What part of NC are you in? east coast to mountains is a long way.
When was it blooming?
How big are the flowers?
Do the flowers droop or are they upright?
In spite of all these questions I have a feeling that you might have a Tulip poplar but am really just guessing from the scant description you gave.

Does it have needles or leaves?leaves......
the tree is atleast 70 to 80 foot
What are the leaves shaped like?the leaves are shaped close to a maple but larger an when the trees where first starting to bloom this spring its blooms where like a honey suckle but very large
What part of NC are you in? east coast to mountains is a long way.i live 18 miles south of charlotte,(piedmont)
When was it blooming?its blooms came out around amonth ago and now there is no blooms at all on it,i dont know if it will bloom again or if that was a one time a year thing
How big are the flowers?i would say between 6 to 8 inches across
Do the flowers droop or are they upright?upright
In spite of all these questions I have a feeling that you might have a Tulip poplar but am really just guessing from the scant description you gave.

i'm not sure what kind of tree this is but it is on a slope in my yard which with all the rain in the last few months has made the dirt wash away from the roots even more then before. now of course theres no way to move something this big but should i bring in more dirt or bring in a expert to try an fix this situation ? i would hate to see this tree die ,to me its one of the nicest trees i have ever seen. an i am not a tree person as you can tell from the lack of knowledge about them.

Sounds like Liriodendron tulipifera, "tulip poplar". Do something to divert/slow the water and prevent erosion, though they do tolerate some. the biggest I've seen are in Joyce Kilmer park in the mountains, growing by streams.

Yes you should get an expert in, hire a certified arborist tp care fpr this outstanding species of tree. It doesn't ask for much.
Does Pinnacle work that far south?

thank you for the replys,now i can get someone out here to help with this tree,pennicle tree serive? not sure if they would come this far . but it would be worth a call.thanks for the help

how about a horse chestnut? aka buckeye? aka Aesculus..

The Aesculus here much shorter, flower later, flower one color. Real different from BC.

how about Paulownia? a bit of a stretch but..

the flowers : like a honeysuckle... that throws me a bit. Tulip tree is nothing like a honeysuckle that I would be familiar with, and 6 to 8 inches across... sigh. cant you just put up a picture of the leaf and the flower? we could get it in seconds if we could just see it.

it was a "tulip poplar " when the other person posted that i looked it up on the net an found a picture.same tree i have,but thanks for the post

Does the Tulip tree actually grow as a native back east?

Noticed a comment in a post about them near streams in the mountains.

In Oregon, its a nursery item for landscapes - I did soil prep about 15' from a 20 year old one last month, WHAT A ROOT SYSTEM.

Nice trees.

Liriodendron tulipifera is a common native in NC, also introduced as a timber tree, replacing chestnut which is blighted.

Gets a bad rap for brittleness, imo overstated.

Not tolerant of root damage, most are quick to rot, poor compartmentalizers. Will shed inner leaves in drought, not such a problem in OR I guess.

Kilmer park is a cathedral with tuliptree spires.

Fantastic tree; fast straight growth, May flowers, few pests.

The appearance of the plump fleshy roots on that tree would seem to indicate that drought is not a "favorite" condition for the tree.

In Oregon, drought is not a major issue. But it is suprisingly dry in Western Oregon during July to September. 7 to 8 weeks without rain can be ordinary.

That's what makes Coastal and Western Oregon one of but a handful of true "Mediterrenean" climates in the world - one of the conditions for that climate is dry summer - but not too hot. Only half a dozen or so regions in the world are like this.

(hops for beer is a large crop here - and vineyards are big too)

Eastern Oregon is much dryer in many areas - almost desert, with Pine, Juniper, etc..

But the Tulip Tree will flourish in 60% of this state. The flowers are a really nice variation from the common tree flower colors.

Sort of how blue foliage and golden deviate from the large bulk of green foliaged trees.

Latest posts

Back