What kind of tree is this ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[QUOead500, post: 4816644, member: 73968"]Cant see the blooms very well here on my phone but looks like a hazelnut to me[/QUOTE]
Its definitely hard to ID with those pictures

Nope not horn beam the biggest hornbeam I ever saw in the area is about 8" on the stump. Plus our hornbeam have a single main stem very straight with relativity few limbs. I know the pictures suck but the closest limb is 25' up. The tree is massive in crown circumference probably 80' - 100' from left to right. Hazelnut,...now wouldn't there be " nuts " ? I am sure there are none. Thanks for trying though I will google river birch and hazelnut.

No hazelnuts? Youve got squirrels.:laugh: The catkins or blooms look like hazel nut or a type of hazelnut.they bloom in fall but pollinate in spring.hazelnuts around here grow in fence rows like a hedge but there may be varieties that grow larger.

UOTE="Jeff Lary, post: 4816936, member: 75915"]The winner is..........River birch. Google it then read Wikipedia and the photos and description matches 100%. Thanks all. Now I know thanks to you all, Jeff[/QUOTE]
I'm not disagreeing with you but the only pictures that says possible river birch to me are the third and fifth ones, the others don't look like any river birch I've ever worked on and I've worked on many. But like I said, not disagreeing just giving my opinion.

Well it may not be, but I can walk right up to it and it looks like the river birch I read about on Google. I guess it would be safe to say that of all the trees mentioned it most closely resembles River Birch. Like I said earlier in my life time I have never met a person in maine who has ever found some of the other trees mentioned. Like Hazel nut or hickory. I have been around hornbeam / ironwood all my life and have many of them now, this is not hornbeam either. So for now I will consider it river birch.

Well it may not be, but I can walk right up to it and it looks like the river birch I read about on Google. I guess it would be safe to say that of all the trees mentioned it most closely resembles River Birch. Like I said earlier in my life time I have never met a person in maine who has ever found some of the other trees mentioned. Like Hazel nut or hickory. I have been around hornbeam / ironwood all my life and have many of them now, this is not hornbeam either. So for now I will consider it river birch.
Sounds good to me, either way its your tree and you like it so you can call it anything you like.

Back