What kind of tree is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blakey

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Saw this ad tonight on kijiji, I think he is off on the type of tree, anyone recognize it?

Healthy, Ash tree blown down in Saturday's storm. 15 inch diameter trunk. You bring chainsaw, cut and remove and the wood is yours for free.

5250mig_20.jpeg

LOL Its free

All one arm load of firewood and two truck loads of brush.. Maybe we should all email them and offer to pay them for this valuable gift they are trying to bestow upon a sucker.

Whatever it is, with all those limbs in the top it is not worth the work that would be involved in harvesting the little bit of firewood in it.

I agree, I have no interest in cleaning it up for them. I was just curious what it was because it sure isn't an ash. I was expecting a huge ash tree from the description and the pic didn't quite match.

Eastern hophornbeam (Ironwood) would be my first guess but maybe American hornbeam (blue-beech or water beech)? It looks like a young ironwood.

Possibly could be sorbus americana or American Mountain-ash - the growth pattern looks correct and the bark looks similar. Only other thing that looks like is ironwood (hornbeam).

The bark looks like basswood...but I never saw one get so bushy like on top. If it is basswood it's total crap to burn ...I'm told it's a good carving wood.

Eastern hophornbeam (Ironwood) would be my first guess but maybe American hornbeam (blue-beech or water beech)? It looks like a young ironwood.

The ironwoods here are nowhere near that bushy, just tall skinny looking critters that grow straight to the canopy, then usually fall over and wait for me to cut em up.

better prank: take the first three feet and throw the top in the chipper with the chute aiming into the yard.

Looks like an American Fuctus...if you bit on cleaning it up, Other than that I'd say beech.

Back