What kind of wood is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericjeeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
91823979.jpg

Not an oak

http://www.pbase.com/ericjeeper/image/91823979.jpg

Last edited:
correct.. it is not for those without power splitters

Nasty stringy tough stuff.. But man it burns good and hot.

nice woodgathering setup.

Nappy looking wood

I am not sure, but the outer parts of the log look like elm. The nappy hairs....well any elm I've split didn't look like that. Was the nappy stuff punky in any way?

It was not the least bit doatey

This tree was one the loggers damaged when falling a big red oak.. Basically they ripped some of the top out.. and it was visible from the road so I had em fall it.. They did buy about 30 feet of log that was 20" or so dbh
The top has been laying almost a year.

this pic shows my solar panels

I finally figured out how to make them appear in the post. No one ever said that I was the sharpest knife in the drawer.
91823975.jpg

My dad built that trailer probably 50 years ago.. It has always been parked indoors. And the tires have been on it since the 70s at least.

Last edited:
Looks like what I call white elm. Has the little designs under the bark. The red elm turns more of a gray tint on the outside.

Matt

Looks like what I call white elm. Has the little designs under the bark. The red elm turns more of a gray tint on the outside.

Matt

That white elm is american elm. Red Elm has a pink, almost peach color to it. It is straight grained and easy to split until you hit any kind of knot or crotch. Then it is hell to split. Both are good firewood, with Red Elm being the better elm. I am burning red elm right now with 6 degree F temps and its nice and warm!

The red elm is what I brought in for this cold snap. The crotch pieces are a pain. I had to start some with the saw just so the splitter would go through.

I've always called is white elm. Thanks for the real name. Both are good but the red elm gets used when the temp is in the single digits.

Matt

In this really cold weather this is my go to wood if I am fortunate enough to have it. That big chunk of elm that barely fits in the stove and I would never dare split by hand.

Back