What kind of wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miller1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I got a truckload of this and am not sure what it is, it was very easy to get to or i would have left it, it is fairly soft.
42575e06-d294-bea0.jpg
42575e06-d2a4-c9a7.jpg

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

i thought is was walnut but the guy that cut them down said it was not walnut, the white on the outside is very soft and somewhat stringy.

i thought is was walnut but the guy that cut them down said it was not walnut, the white on the outside is very soft and somewhat stringy.

Thats because its super rare and valuable and didnt want you to try and get the tree cut for nothing.

Walnut- for sure!

I bet its too late to save any for the mill, but if it was over 30 " it is a real shame you didn't send it to the mill. Some wonderful wood to work with and very valuable.

It was split about 2 weeks after it was cut, the trunk was about 16-18", the guy cut a bunch of trees and limbed them and put them in a pile for me so i didnt see the leaves either.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

It could be a nothern Catalpa. I cut a small limb off of you in my yard and it looked just like the spilt piece in the picture, not sure though the bark doesn't seem to look the Same

Here is a picture of the Northern Catalpa in my back yard I think the bark looks the same. I know the picture of the spilt wood you showed is the exact same as the limb I cut off it is almost a match.
8c68c62e.jpg

Thats because its super rare and valuable and didnt want you to try and get the tree cut for nothing.

I take it this is a hint that if it really is black walnut, they got the shaft because the tree could have been cut into longer valuable pieces instead of little fragments.

The wood also resembles another tree I've cut into, but don't recall right now. Not much of a wood ID expert, unless maybe it's something unique like Staghorn Sumac.

:msp_smile:

Back