What lathe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Justsaws

Justsaws

Addicted to ArboristSite
You could have been cutting cylinders and pistons since yesterday but noooooooo, still looking for that golden deal on an antique. Time to decide, sn the lathe a new hobby or a tool. Want one to work with or work on.

Are you looking to make camera parts, long arm parts or spin a piston and cylinder for a chainsaw?

Stihl 041S
B-Rads brain is in overload......

Like someone dropping in from the 60s and buying a computer. Kinda knows what it is and that he wants one.

BUT WHICH ONE???????

Like watching a train wreck in slo mo.

In a week we'll call in CSI to check brain splatter patterns.

Quick!!! Wrap his head with duct tape!!

In a week

Justsaws

Justsaws

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've gotten by this long without one. I might as well wait on that golden deal, lol. Besides, I'm spending all my money on replacing screwed up topends and Foredoms:(

If it makes you feel any better I have purchased waaaaay more boring needed tools this year than exciting wanted tools. If you can wait the deal will show up, just have the cash handy and be ready to jump on it. There are so many people in Ohio that flip mills and lathes that the deals do not last long, makes finding deals on 1124s look easy.

Get your plan for moving it together because many times part of the deal seems to be it has to go, "yesterday".

Last edited:
Jim Timber

Jim Timber

1/4 bubble off
DSC00933.jpg

Next thing you know, there's a crew bringing these into your shop...

Nitroman

Nitroman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nope he doesn't. Ol man Hart would just chuckle.

Virgil King would laugh out loud. A couple of tenths bolt to receiver.

Ever read "The Houston Warehouse" in Precision Shooting Magazine?

About 4 orders above what most people even realize.

Consistent sub .060 groups.

I could tell the whole truth but no one would believe me.

The rich guy who owned a really loooonnnngg warehouse? They made receivers with a shaper, bolts with a lathe and a rolling backstop to shoot at and shot bugholes all day long? I used to subscribe.

Stihl 041S
The rich guy who owned a really loooonnnngg warehouse? They made receivers with a shaper, bolts with a lathe and a rolling backstop to shoot at and shot bugholes all day long? I used to subscribe.

Small world. Used to go to deer camp with Bob Bell.

Bought some of his gunsmiths stuff. Check writers list in some old ones.

Now THAT BOY had some stories to tell.

Last edited:
Tzed250

Tzed250

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nope he doesn't. Ol man Hart would just chuckle.

Virgil King would laugh out loud. A couple of tenths bolt to receiver.

Ever read "The Houston Warehouse" in Precision Shooting Magazine?

About 4 orders above what most people even realize.

Consistent sub .060 groups.

I could tell the whole truth but no one would believe me.

Truthfully, I go back and read the "Houston Warehouse" article every so often as the story intrigues me. My dad purchased "The Accurate Rifle" by Warren Page in 1975 and I wore that book out. I have been interested in precision rifles ever since.

Another legendary Machinist/Gunsmith was Ferris Pindell. For more than thirty years now the cartridge that he developed with Lou Palmisano, the 6mmPPC, has dominated benchrest shooting.

Stihl 041S
Truthfully, I go back and read the "Houston Warehouse" article every so often as the story intrigues me. My dad purchased "The Accurate Rifle" by Warren Page in 1975 and I wore that book out. I have been interested in precision rifles ever since.

Another legendary Machinist/Gunsmith was Ferris Pindell. For more than thirty years now the cartridge that he developed with Lou Palmisano, the 6mmPPC, has dominated benchrest shooting.

Bob Bell and John Amber had the office for Gun Digest for years. Bob had Johns Made by Colt Gattling gun in the corner of his office. Ser. No. 001

At camp I said John Buhmiller shot about 83 elephants. A burbon baritone (scotch, sorry Bob) said 151 or some such number. He had corresponded with John for years.

Bob did the scopes testing for Gun Digest for maybe 25 years.

Small dam world. First time anyone knew about the Warehouse and I am around some serious gun folks. Folks who "have"'to spend a week at the SHOT show. Bastards ;-))
Phil Sharpe's family farm is on the way to work.

Tzed250

Tzed250

Addicted to ArboristSite
I read PS from time to time.

My next rifle might be a bench/live varmint gun chambered in 22BR. I'd probably get laughed at when I put my 20X Unertl 1 1/2 on it though. ;)

sun64

sun64

ArboristSite Operative
Brad, I have not read all the pages on this post, too many , so am not sure if this has been mentioned before on another page.
I am not a machinist but do a little for myself.
If the lathe is anything like the Colchester on this rig with a worn bed near the chuck then that is a bummer. You have to be careful with it and keep measuring.
What you can do on a second hand or new cheap lathe is buy yourself a few magnetic dial indicators. They are not that expensive.
If you are machining something critical then place the dial indicator tip on the machined faces of the tool post / cross slide etc , this will give you a better indication of how much you are actually moving the cross slide / toolpost.
Of course have a play with some other material first before machining anything crucial.
Measure your materials diameter for instance, set up the dial indicator and take a cut checking what you dialled in and what the indicator guage shows. Then measure the material. This should tell you how much play if any , you have on the lathe , if you cannot adjust it out, then at least you know how far it runs out , or use the dial indicators all the time.
Hope this helps some

parrisw

parrisw

Tree Freak
Brad get one with power feed, you'll thank me later. I'm still on my first lathe and it has power feed/ power cross feed as well. I've spend allot of time in front of the late especially making mandrels and the power feed is a hand a wrist saver when making many many cuts, and is real nice to get much better finish cuts with. I use it all the time when doing chainsaw cylinder piston work. For myself I'd never buy anything less then 9", that's what I have, and you have to get tricky sometimes with large cylinders, cutting the base's, you have to hang the cylinder out farther so it wont hit the cross slide, and it would be nice to not have to do that.

I bought the lathe with just doing chainsaw work in mind, and since then I've done so much more with it, so keep options open and try to get the best you can get. Oh and you better double your budget if you want to get some tooling that you can actually cut stuff with! LOL I paid $1400 for my lathe with no tooling, and since then have spent much much more on tooling and accessories.

Stihl 041S
I suggested the DV-59 for a couple of reasons.

The budget!!!!

It will give him the most quality for the money.

A GREAT lathe to learn on. It separates the functions well.

He WILL want another lathe. AFTER he finds out what he wants. Resale is great.

He doesn't like it. I'll buy it.

Repair parts no problem. But most likely won't need them.

Again. The quality. After tens of thousands of hours with any lathe to use, the breakdown.

96% on the D -59 Hardinge
3% on the TBF Hardinge
Maybe 1% where threads were needed. HLVH land.

If one lathe?? HLVH hands down. No question!!!!

But till he can afford a QUALITY lathe, which he WILL want......

DV-59.

O You know B-Rad.

He ain't gonna just have one small Chinese homelite.

Last edited:
parrisw

parrisw

Tree Freak
I suggested the DV-59 for a couple of reasons.

The budget!!!!

It will give him the most quality for the money.

A GREAT lathe to learn on. It separates the functions well.

He WILL want another lathe. AFTER he finds out what he wants. Resale is great.

He doesn't like it. I'll buy it.

Repair parts no problem. But most likely won't need them.

Again. The quality. After tens of thousands of hours with any lathe to use, the breakdown.

96% on the D -59 Hardinge
3% on the TBF Hardinge
Maybe 1% where threads were needed. HLVH land.

If one lathe?? HLVH hands down. No question!!!!

But till he can afford a QUALITY lathe, which he WILL want......

DV-59.

O You know B-Rad.

He ain't gonna just have one small Chinese homelite.

True, but I would look for an old Southbend. I have a old Hercus model A, pretty much the exact same as a southbend, I love it, and sometimes wish it were bigger.