What lathe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was with my "light 10 or 10K" which is a jacked up 9". Everyone says (i don't listen) that you can't take a big cut with a 9" SBL. So i just had to do it. My 10L or heavy 10 is waiting for a motor. Its on another machine LOL. I have pics of a 1/2" deep cut. Pretty much made 1" bar stock go away with chips...Bob

Yeah..... But go to Hastalloy big diameter and fast feed. ;-))

The bearings would be fine. The plunger oil pump might not like pushing that much volume though. There's a sight glass in the headstock to show the pump is working, and that's squirting pretty hard at 1500.

And here I thought finding a nice lathe would be the hard part!

photo3-M.jpg

My basement only has 3 steps which i cover with plywood when taking in my projects. My 15" SB is pretty heavy and i had it hooked to my neighbors forklift and it went right down that ramp with a chain and its pretty much still sitting where we left it due to other projects and time. My 10K i moved in during the winter and it went down those 3 steps on a plastic sled from wally mart and snow that i shoveled down those steps for the sled and yup it melted LOL...Bob

My basement only has 3 steps which i cover with plywood when taking in my projects. My 15" SB is pretty heavy and i had it hooked to my neighbors forklift and it went right down that ramp with a chain and its pretty much still sitting where we left it due to other projects and time. My 10K i moved in during the winter and it went down those 3 steps on a plastic sled from wally mart and snow that i shoveled down those steps for the sled and yup it melted LOL...Bob

Find any gems in the neighbors barn?

Little project I was working on today. 3" mild steel plate. 6000 lbs. I probably took 200 lbs. off of it. The machine has a 25hp spindle motor, 0-4000 RPM. I'll get to run a couple more tomorrow.

Plate by zweitakt250, on Flickr

Last edited:
This pic is grainy but I was on a call today and saw this under a canopy on a vacant building. It had Southbend on it and looked antique. Don't know if it worked or not. It was pretty big. Don't know who owns it. I thought about finding who owned it and what the deal was. I snapped a pic because I remembered this thread. I know nothing about lathes.

8D53B356-2C0A-445D-B6CA-E8DE7C0F5E16-941-000001691E1B6DFB.jpg

Little project I was working on today. 3" mild steel plate. 6000 lbs. I probably took 200 lbs. off of it. The machine has a 25hp spindle motor, 0-4000 RPM. I'll get to run a couple more tomorrow.

Plate by zweitakt250, on Flickr

We were cutting some 3" plate. Had the program for 22 silhouette animals. Drives people crazy trying to knock them over. Gotta be nice to the welder.

We run a G&L

I ran a Sidney lathe like this one (first pic) on afternoon shift after my dayshift job (2nd pic) back when i was real poor. 16 hrs a day for years Made some Doctors boat payments i guess. LOL. The 2nd pic was in the old Silver and Deming Plant which at the turn of the century made the term Silver and Deming or just S&D as in turned down shank drill bits which we all use now...Bob

I ran a Sidney lathe like this one (first pic) on afternoon shift after my dayshift job (2nd pic) back when i was real poor. 16 hrs a day for years Made some Doctors boat payments i guess. LOL. The 2nd pic was in the old Silver and Deming Plant which at the turn of the century made the term Silver and Deming or just S&D as in turned down shank drill bits which we all use now...Bob

S&D ........accept no substitute.

This pic is grainy but I was on a call today and saw this under a canopy on a vacant building. It had Southbend on it and looked antique.

Its at least a SB 16" or even an 18" but i never saw an 18" with a bell leg. But then again i have never seen in person a SBL over 16" just pics...Bob
Some great SBL info The SBL Workshop - Home

first try at attaching pics. Looks like I got a double shot.
View attachment 248777View attachment 248778View attachment 248777View attachment 248778
Ran the these two for Harper, back in late 80's. just happened to auction notice about the company last year and went to see what happened.
bought the pc that I'm sitting at.

Also, wouldn't have even dreamed of letting my hair get that long when I was doing that work.
But a longer beard does help keep a few hot shaving out of the shirt front!

Last edited:
first try at attaching pics. Looks like I got a double shot.
View attachment 248777View attachment 248778View attachment 248777View attachment 248778
Ran the these two for Harper, back in late 80's. just happened to auction notice about the company last year and went to see what happened.
bought the pc that I'm sitting at.

Also, wouldn't have even dreamed of letting my hair get that long when I was doing that work.
But a longer beard does help keep a few hot shaving out of the shirt front!

Most folks can't understand when it takes an hour to set up a part, turn it around or over.

Or how many insert edges you can go thru getting thru the scale.

Or balk when you tell them your cost on the insert really is $16, and complain when you refuse to work for mexican wages...

I started quoting higher and higher to get rid of some customers, and when they persisted bugging me I started telling them it might be 6 months before I could get to it. :D

Or trying to explain that you have to buy special tooling.

Tell them:"

"Okay you can buy and keep the boring bar to make the part. "

They think that would be fine.

As a machinist you always have a 6" scale.

Handy when you want to measure how far their eyes buldge out when you tell them what a 2" carbide boring bar costs.

...or a top box loaded with bout 5~6 clamps,
several bags of those double end- left right thread clamp screws & extra hex keys.
pocket shims , all wear parts, for every tool ( all mounted in holders for a large aloris knock-off tool post.
titanium nitrided triangle and round types , on 1/2 ic insert size prolly around 8~9 geometry/nose radius.
Management (LeeBoy) let me get away with it cause I could show that it meant the production line was never stopped for lack of a way to get a roller drum turned.

Mercy sakes, I miss that autonomy with someone elses wallet.
was old school , Family/private owned, sorta "eccentric" type company (been sold since), but if you earned their trust , could be good people to work for.

The pdf has a pic of him.
http://www.leeboy.com/sf-docs/leeboy-news/may-13-2003-industry-pioneer-b-r-lee-dies-at-69.pdf%3Fsfvrsn%3D2%2BB+r+Lee&hl=en&complete=0&site=webhp&ct=clnk]Denver, NC -- B. R. Lee, founder of B. R. Lee Industries (LeeBoy) passed away suddenly on Friday, May 9, 2003 at the age of 69.[/url]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back