What lathe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup got a few of them yesterday. Chipping .045 gas flux core and one jumped down my shirt, so i pulled out my shirt bottom and it went right in my underwear. I should have kept my big belly for protection :) The other one went right in my shoe top and burned right thru my sock and into my heel where its going to get rubbed raw for weeks. Here is what i was welding...Bob

now thats gonna be real fun getting into Brads basement ;)

nice job

Yup got a few of them yesterday. Chipping .045 gas flux core and one jumped down my shirt, so i pulled out my shirt bottom and it went right in my underwear. I should have kept my big belly for protection :) The other one went right in my shoe top and burned right thru my sock and into my heel where its going to get rubbed raw for weeks. Here is what i was welding...Bob

I love pushing .045" and 1/16" dual shield! It flows nice and creamy.

I was under a 2-ton truck holding a tool box, and Rod was welding the retaining straps on the underside of the flatbed. I was sitting on my butt with my legs extended. A nice hot nugget of hardwire danced across the concrete and wedged between the floor and my inner thigh.

As I squeeled in pain, essentially dragging by butt back and forth like a dog on a carpet, all Rod could say was, "Don't move, I almost got it!" :msp_sneaky:

Are those a pressure vessel? Real surprised they spec'd out grinding the welds on those bungs?

Are those a pressure vessel? Real surprised they spec'd out grinding the welds on those bungs?

These aren't. They are just expansion tanks for the radiators of 6,000 hp Cat natural gas engines. But i do weld pressure vessels like this one. Its only tested to 1500 psi. Its a bad pic of me taken from a vid shoot with CNBC about the natural gas boom they did at our company a while back. I felt pretty good being only a handfull of people that work here and i was one of the new guys. Now i am always in the pictures.
Shaking Off The Rust Belt - U.S. Business News - CNBC ...Bob

Some of us don't have the patience to wait for misfortune.

I earned a runner up Darwin award welding bars into my basement window late one night/early one morning. I didn't want to let go of the bar with my left hand to get a new rod, so I held the rod in my teeth.

Those who weld have good burn stories, just like you guys machining.

Up the nose, in the ear, the eye, burn through a shoe between your big toe.

My all time favorite is a good hot bugger burning through your pants and planting itself in your groin. :cry:

When you work for a General Contractor you end up doing lots of stuff on the fly, unprepared, without proper safety gear just to keep the job rolling.....

I was sitting on the top of a 12' step ladder welding a brace from a loading door frame up to the bar joist, with the stinger over my head, when a big ball of slag landed in my lap, burned through my pants and settled down to fry it's way into my sack........how I kept from falling off the ladder I'll never know. :msp_sad:

When you work for a General Contractor you end up doing lots of stuff on the fly, unprepared, without proper safety gear just to keep the job rolling.....

I was sitting on the top of a 12' step ladder welding a brace from a loading door frame up to the bar joist, with the stinger over my head, when a big ball of slag landed in my lap, burned through my pants and settled down to fry it's way into my sack........how I kept from falling off the ladder I'll never know. :msp_sad:

:msp_sad::msp_sad:

The ball-sac force is strong in this one. :laugh:

It's not funny when it happens, but it is once the hole in yer skin fills over. :msp_wink:

The lathe has better than an hour run time on it, now that the break-in process is complete. 2400 RPMs is scary to someone not used to running a lathe! It got ran at each speed for about 10 minutes. It's ready to make chips, but I have no tooling lol:)

The lathe has better than an hour run time on it, now that the break-in process is complete. 2400 RPMs is scary to someone not used to running a lathe! It got ran at each speed for about 10 minutes. It's ready to make chips, but I have no tooling lol:)

What are you waiting for then, order some!

Yep, your lathe is topped out at idle RPM of a saw.

It was about 10 degrees, I was doing some overhead with Lincoln Overshield on half inch plate (ABSOLUTE garbage, unless the surface is 110% clean, which defeats the purpose of this wire) at 26-28 volts, and dropped a berry (more like a rock) on to my over sleeve (which it burnt through), my long sleeve jacket, my carhartts, my undershirt, and onto my arm- where it stayed. Still have a heck of a scar (and plenty more), and always will. It only hurt for about .1 of a second, and then I didnt feel anything. Didnt even smell burnt hair, it was more like pork roast haha.
I cant count how many times I have put berries in my boots from torching. Just part of the game. I could avoid most of it with a wellington style boot, but when it was super cold I just wore what kept me warm.

I found a good deal on a Clausing locally. Hopefully I can grab it in the next week or two. I am thinking about putting it in the basement as well. All this lathe talk has me itching for another.

Latest posts

Back