What lathe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brad, shorten your setup. Way too much stick out from the chuck. Enough material to go to the squish band, enough to go in the chuck, and enough room to get the tool to the part. Any more is weakening the setup which will lead to difficulty cutting the work piece, or levering it out of the chuck. Short is strong, strong is good.

Brad, shorten your setup. Way too much stick out from the chuck. Enough material to go to the squish band, enough to go in the chuck, and enough room to get the tool to the part. Any more is weakening the setup which will lead to difficulty cutting the work piece, or levering it out of the chuck. Short is strong, strong is good.

Thanks John. I appreciate the tips from all of you guys.

That's so last year.......popups are out of fashion ya know. :laugh:

Just funning you Brad. I'm curious though......what did you support the tail end of the mandrel with when you were cutting it?

Ditto. All I thought was "hangin out a frickin mile"

I'm to blame for that, I gave him a piece of material that was longer than it needed to be. You can always take more off, hard to go the other way.

I'm to blame for that, I gave him a piece of material that was longer than it needed to be. You can always take more off, hard to go the other way.

Sometimes impossible. When I worked my first job we had two CNC bandsaws. Operators on second shift would set them to run unmanned until first shift got there in the morning. Quite a sight to see thousands of dollars worth of bar stock cut up into piston blanks that were 3mm too short.

Sometimes impossible. When I worked my first job we had two CNC bandsaws. Operators on second shift would set them to run unmanned until first shift got there in the morning. Quite a sight to see thousands of dollars worth of bar stock cut up into piston blanks that were 3mm too short.

That sight can make you weak in the knee's. Automation is certainly not without it's consequences. I worked in the blow mold industry when I lived back home. "Lights-Out" machining was a way of life. Load the tombstones up on multi pallet machines and hit cycle start on your way out Friday night. Monday morning either looks like carnage, or pure profit. You get away with it enough times and you're still ahead after a bad weekend. Interestingly though, I saw a machine at IMTS that would check tool height before it put the tool away. If it was different than when it started, it would stop the machine from continuing. No more broke the cdrill which broke the tap drill, which broke the countersink which broke the thread mill/tap. Pretty cool stuff, don't know how new that is, I just hadn't seen it before.

Or screw up a casting you have been waiting 8 months for.....

That's so last year.......popups are out of fashion ya know. :laugh:

Just funning you Brad. I'm curious though......what did you support the tail end of the mandrel with when you were cutting it?

he was probably right in that area where you're not sure if you'll need the tailstock or not. The rule of thumb I use is if I have more than 3 X Diameter outside the chuck, I'll watch carefully to see if I need the tailstock or not. You can sometimes get away with more...

Latest posts

Back