What lathe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little clip. Check out how the breech of the gun is closed, then think about cutting the interrupted screw thread in the breech and on the breech plug. ;)

[video=youtube;Xsp0Mr5Lcl8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsp0Mr5Lcl8&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

A little clip. Check out how the breech of the gun is closed, then think about cutting the interrupted screw thread in the breech and on the breech plug. ;)

[video=youtube;Xsp0Mr5Lcl8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsp0Mr5Lcl8&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Look at some of the clips of the Chinese and their 240mm guns, they still haven't learned/employed autofrettage to lighten the gun tubes.

Look at some of the clips of the Chinese and their 240mm guns, they still haven't learned/employed autofrettage to lighten the gun tubes.

Two M-5 tracked tractors, and a 10 ton crane for the field Artillery.

Very accurate. 1st round fired in Korea penetrated to a North Korean ammo dump and blew the top of the mountain off. The north called it"Black Death"

My dad had a battery. Great stories.

Those are the last of them in use today.

Don't know when autofrettage was first used. They were worried about the 240 as it was replacing the 240s that were blowing up from WW I.

Some where there is a video of the Tiwanese firing theirs.

To get range you used so many of the bags of powder that came with each round.

Burning the rest at the end of the day.

Sometimes a upwards of a thousand pounds.

And you calculated differently depending of you were north or south of the equator.

a bit late, but recently sold this south bend 9in swing with 24in bed. supported on factory metal legs. this is the smallest southbend lathe I've ever seen.

almost no wear ... chucks still had paper stickers on... this lathe was in like new condition.
sold it for $1,500 .. talk about one happy buyer... only reason I sold it was ... ran out of room. could only keep one lathe.

DSC08275.jpg

DSC08286.jpg

have seen a fellows garage with a short and long bed set of those Southbends.
Short bed had a home brew v-belt speed changer mounted over the flat drive,
giving a nice range of speeds.

Also knew a guy that had a little Southbend that had a set of riser blocks
under the head and tailstocks, but no compensation in the cross slide.
...made grinding and centering the points of the tools a bit of a mental exercise.

a bit late, but recently sold this south bend 9in swing with 24in bed. supported on factory metal legs. this is the smallest southbend lathe I've ever seen.

almost no wear ... chucks still had paper stickers on... this lathe was in like new condition.
sold it for $1,500 .. talk about one happy buyer... only reason I sold it was ... ran out of room. could only keep one lathe.

DSC08275.jpg

This lathe was a pre-1930 Model O which preceeded the Models A, B, and C.

You can see your lathe as it appeared in the South Bend catalogue.
Go here: The SBL Workshop - Catalog Index
Go down to: Bltn No. 9
Go to page 7 in the Pdf or Page 6 in the doc itself. Your lathe was catalogue number 30-X 2 1/2 foot bed with 10 1/4" between centers.
Click below for the pic.
View attachment 256613

This past week I took the apron off my lathe and disassembled, cleaned and re-wicked it. I did the same for the gearbox. Couldn't go all the way with the gearbox as the main shafts were held together with slotted screws that had been heavily center-punched. I'd've had to grind out the punched part to get the screw out so just flushed and scrubbed the gears well. The lathe is so smooth now.
With my HSS bits I got, and the 1.5" diameter bar of 12L14 it is time to get off my butt and turn some collars to see how well my machine is dialed in.

Last edited:
Good thread, but it's a lot to take in at once! I've been wanting a small lathe for a while now, just haven't pulled the trigger. I like the 10x22 Grizzly just like Brad got, seems to be the best bang for the buck that I've found. I hope to order one in the next few weeks, If not Ill have to wait till after all the holidays are over :(.

Just ran across this lathe.....some high tech stuff right here folks!

[video=youtube;P4qB6n1cm04]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=P4qB6n1cm04[/video]

And I thought this kind of stuff was only seen in the south? What a fool I've been. :msp_confused: git er done!

Latest posts

Back